Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering a down size move

HRcampers
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone!

My wife and I are considering downsizing this year and we were looking at the Rockwood A214HW hard side A frame pop up.

We have had an RV of some sort for the past 25 years or so. One PU, three TT's, and our current FW. The down size consideration is for many reasons, mostly because we are empty nesters for the most part (son is away at college and don't particularly care to camp with us old people anymore), and we are planning to move into a condo within a couple years and want to be able to store the Rockwood in the garage, plus we are just looking to get back to basics even though A214HW has some pretty good amenities.

I have been wanting to down size for years, but the DW would have no part of it until we went to an RV show last week and she fell in love with an A-frame hard side. I think, despite me telling her in the past it wasn't so, that she would have to go without any home style conveniences.

We've always had to store our RV's at a storage yard due to city ordinances, so it would be nice to just pull this thing out of the garage at a moments notice, hitch up and just go.

Just curious if anyone was familiar with the Rockwood A-frame, or any A-frame for that matter, and how your experience has been with this type of PU.
Robert and Anne Marie
Warren, Michigan
2016 Rockwood A192HW A-frame
2016 Ford F250 Super Duty, 2wd, 6.2 gasser
2016 Toyota Rav4
7 REPLIES 7

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I canoe and tent camp, I have a 20 year old PUP, and we have been touring in a TT for the last three.

Each has unique advantages and disadvantages for the particular time and place we wish to visit.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

manualman
Explorer
Explorer
I've been pop-uppin' for 35 years now and an A frame is my current dream retirement camper. Not a high wall unit though. A functional rear view mirror sure is nice out on the road!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
We gave the A-Liners a very hard look but decided.
* We wanted a bed we could exit without crawling over your partner.
* We wanted closet space so we did not have to live out of a suitcase in the TV.
* We wanted a full size bathroom, sink vanity and towel storage.
* We wanted a pantry for food, dishes, crock pot and coffee maker.
* We wanted room to move around inside on rainy days.
* The TV and Microwave were a nice touch also.

We were fortunate, storage is not a problem, we found a used 25 ft. TT with slide out for less than an A-liner. We are sightseers so we are rarely in one spot for more than a day or so.

Down side, more maintainance, we needed a bigger TV, 10 mpg and you are pulling a barn down the road.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be going from a 30 foot MH to a 17 foot Casita Trailer I just bought. No problem, I'm solo. No wife to worry about the size of everything. I'll be using this rig as my main traveling rig this summer.

Emptypockets
Explorer
Explorer
We downsized from a 30.5 foot 5th wheel with two slides & a ton dually diesel to a 18 foot TT with one slide & a 1/2 ton p/up - it has worked well for us.
The Palmers

HRcampers
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad,

Yes, the model we were looking at had a very abbreviated version of what we have been used to indeed. For this reason alone, it is still hard for me to believe she wants to pursue this investigation.
Robert and Anne Marie
Warren, Michigan
2016 Rockwood A192HW A-frame
2016 Ford F250 Super Duty, 2wd, 6.2 gasser
2016 Toyota Rav4

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you show her the bathroom?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004