cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conventional trailer

spoonman
Explorer
Explorer
Need a little help here. Been camping for a long time, many fivers, one mh, now back in fiver. We have had mostly Newmars and love the quality but they don`t make conventional trailers and because of my legs going bad I can no longer do the stairs very easily or safely. We are looking for a quality built travel trailer that will sit and not towed. Loved the Newmars and looking for suggestions on well built TT`s.
I know there is a lot of experience out there and looking forward to some suggestions.
13 REPLIES 13

spoonman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies, a lot to consider and now the shopping begins:B

spoonman
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
If it is going to sit and not be towed, what about looking at "park model" trailers?

Love the park we are in and they don`t allow them, but thanks.

spoonman
Explorer
Explorer
ReferDog wrote:
Might want to check RVCO for portable steps they make em for 5er's TT.
rvco.com

Thanks, have steps with railing outside, mostly inside steps I`m worried about.

ReferDog
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to check RVCO for portable steps they make em for 5er's TT.
rvco.com
ReferDog 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Dura Max
Artic Fox 30U

Equlizer Hitch

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
If it is going to sit and not be towed, what about looking at "park model" trailers?

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the info on RVDA fordsooperdooty - will check them out.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Get an Arctic Fox, they are a true 4 season camper.

SooperDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
In my humble opinion...and as a matter of fact you can quote me....

Just because a RV is called "high end", or comes with the huge inflated price tag. has full body paint and name tags like "Platinum Edition" or the RV Company says "we are the best made"...it's only really smoke, mirrors and more special effects than a George Lucas movie!

You have to become somewhat of a cynic, a detective and/or do a LOT of research. Buying a new car or truck is easy in comparison! You can read Consumer Reports ratings. Or Car/Truck Magazines.

But you can't trust RV Magazines and other RV Sources (except RV.Net Members!)...they accept RV manufacturers advertising dollars. Biased! Same with so called RV Review websites.

Everyone is biased in that what they have is the perfect RV! Almost always. I like Jayco, for example..and admit it. But if I know of something closer to waht you want I'll tell you.

There is a organization called RVDA (Recreational Vehicle Dealers Association) and they publish report around this time every year for 20 years called the "Dealer Satisfaction Index". This is a survey of dealers asking how happy are they with the Manufacturers of the RV Brands that they carry and sell...RVDA

Of course RVDA is may be somewhat supported by the Dealers they survey. After all, the Dealers benefit from the surveys too.

The towable RV manufacturers/brands receiving awards are (in alphabetical order by manufacturer)...these brands received a score of 80% or more in the survey.

*Airstream Inc. Around since 1929...but now owned by Thor.
*Coachmen RV (Clipper/Viking travel trailers)
*Forest River Inc. (Palomino travel trailers and fifth-wheels, Rockwood/Roo expandables, Sierra/Sandpiper)
*Grand Design RV Co. (Solitude)
*Heartland RV LLC. (Big Country/Elk Ridge, Bighorn/Landmark, Cyclone/Road Warrior/Torque, Gateway, North Trail/Wilderness, Prowler, Sundance, Trail Runner/Fairfield)
*Jayco Inc. (Camping Trailers, Eagle/Eagle Premier/HT, Jay Feather, Jay Flight/Swift/SLX/DST/Bungalow, Pinnacle, White Hawk) Same family owners since 1967...45 years!
*Keystone RV Co. (Cougar/X-lite, Hornet/Hideout/Energy, Laredo, Montana/Big Sky/High Country/Mountaineer, Outback/Sydney, Raptor, Sprinter/Copper Canyon)
*KZ RV.(Sportsmen & Classic, Spree/Spree Escape) 41 years in business.
*Lance Camper Manufacturing Corp. (travel trailers and truck campers)
*Open Range RV Co. and Prime Time Manufacturing Inc. (Avenger, LaCrosse/Tracer, Crusader/Sanibel).

Is this survey a good indicator that a RV Company gets good warranty service support and prompt payment by the RV Manufacturer for warranty services performed on an Owners RV? Yes.

Does this mean the dealer is going to try serving their customers faster and better? Likely.

The answers to catagories from RV Dealers are kept confidential from the RV Manufacturers, so are fairly accurite expressions from the Dealers regarding the Manufacturers.

The Dealers are asked about...

• Sales support-Advertising, brochures, etc.
• Sales territory-You don't want another dealer selling the same brand across the street.
• Vehicle design-older designs tend to sit on their lots longer.
• Vehicle reliability/quality-A RV's reputation travels by word of mouth!
• Competitive price/value-Selling a 2 million dollar RV that may not aappeal to a working class neighborhood.
• Parts support-You order a new door and it's back ordered 2 months.
• Dealership warranty support-Important! The dealer may have to go to bat for you to get something fixed!
• Overall dealer communications-Ideally the dealer is a good communicator, two way conversations.

About 500 RV dealers responded to the survey on 2500 brands. (An average of 5 brands per dealership responding). At least it gives some sort of useable information to potential RV Owners!

You need to tour a few RV Manufacturing plants in Indiana, visit dealers and take a deep, long look at craftsmanship and quality, a few companies like Jayco, KZ RV and Starcraft (owned by Jayco), and the Heartland Landmark have 2 year warranties.

Just in my opinion for what it's worth..I like Jayco RV's and have had 7 of them. I also like KZ, Heartland, Open Range..who all seem to try much harder to please the customers consistantly. But Keystone and Forest River turn out some outstanding great value brands too!

Research is part of the fun in buying a new RV! Have fun researching!
My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. :W

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Arctic Fox. Love it, would'nt trade it for another TT, maybe a Tiffin. Hey, will sell mine for NADA. 2004 Arctic Fox 31W 4 seasons, which means you can camp at 14 degrees and be snug, we did. Has lots of cabinet space.
http://www.rvguidebook.com/rvguidebook/manufacturerfiles/ArcticFox9-06.pdf

campincandice
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Open Range line up! Lots of fifth wheel-feel floor plans without the stairs... We're very pleased with ours!
Candice

Steve - Partner in Crime
Molly - black lab
Sabbath - chocolate lab/weimaraner

2014 Open Range LT274RLS

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Arctic Fox--made by Northwood Mfg. in La Grande, Or. has been under the same owners from their beginnings 30-40 years ago. Lars

http://www.northwoodmfg.com/
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

cockroach
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a carri-lite-a sunnybrook and now have a holiday rambler savoy. They are all good trailers but the companies have all been either bought out or went bankrupt. If I was looking for quality i would explre some of the articles in trailer life magazine. There are so many trailers out there now days that it is hard to gauge the good ones unless you go by price. Winnabago bought Sunnybrook, Monaco now owns Holliday Rambler I think and I am not sure who rescued Carriage, the maker of Cari-Lite. Hold this helps.
Good Health is merely the slowest way you can die !!!🙂

rgolding
Explorer
Explorer
A full gambit of Artic Fox, Dutchmen and Starcraft have all served well. I think a good dealer makes for a good trailer. You won't be led wrong.
Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan
Southern Illinois

2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS "Low Key"