cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cord Storage and Clearance Light Sealing/Questions

oyarsa
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple projects to do. First, our trailer has a power cord that is pre-connected in a storage bay with a round hatch/access door. One of the screws holding the hatch has stripped and the sealant around the hatch has come loose.

Any suggestions for fixing a stripped fiberglass screw hole? I'm a novice handyman at best. What should I use to reseal the area around the hatch.

I'm also planning to install a backup camera. I'm following a YouTube video that screws the camera bracket into a clearance light fixture. What sealant should I use there? How should I seal the middle bracket hole the cables come out of? Any reasons this is a bad idea?
5 REPLIES 5

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Boomerweps wrote:
Another option is to removing permanently connected power cable and install a power inlet jack that is sealed entirely. Then add the plug to your existing cable.

That's what I did Here's how I did it.

I now store my cord dongles and adapters in the cord storage hatch
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
JB Weld has a material for doing wood repairs. I use it and it worked well. I think it would be perfect for this type of repair.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is to removing permanently connected power cable and install a power inlet jack that is sealed entirely. Then add the plug to your existing cable.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wood and glue, epoxy and re-drill, larger screw, insert a piece of electrical wire into the hole and reinstall screw are a few ways I can think of.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fill the hole with wood toothpicks and glue, then drill a hole smaller than the screw. Dicor will seal the seams and bracket.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob