cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cordless drill for scissor jacks

clearn4
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to purchase a cordless drill to raise and lower the four scissor jacks on my TT. A make and model number with a strong tork just for that would be very helpful.
Thank you
115 REPLIES 115

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
X3 being in the carpenter trade I have used one of these for a very long time or should I say pretty much since they first came out they are fantastic little tools.

If I would have known how well they work on small rusty bolts and screws, I would have bought one years ago for my job as an elevator mechanic.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

westend
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
Kittykath wrote:
westend wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Impact driver?? We're not changing a tire here. Any homeowner-type cordless drill should do the job just fine, as long as your jacks are in good working order. I use the same 19.2V Craftsman I use for everything else around the house, and it has more than enough torque. If you want one to leave in the camper, I'd look at inexpensive Harbor Freight models.
Do you have one of these battery powered impact tools? They fit the hand well, don't weigh much, are better balanced than a cordless drill, and don't engage the impact anvil until a certain load is encountered. I reach for mine before the drill in almost all applications, down to fastening devices into boxes inside the home. If you don't own one, when you get one, you'll have that same "aha" moment as the first time you used a cordless drill.

2x

X3 being in the carpenter trade I have used one of these for a very long time or should I say pretty much since they first came out they are fantastic little tools.
Right on. I think what some folks are referring to as an impact tool are the larger impact tools, either 120V operated or battery operated and are especially made for higher torque values like a 1/2" drive for securing lug nuts. There are different tools out there.

If I still had the sound level app on my phone, I'd measure the sound level between different tools doing the job. Unfortunately, the app expired and I'm not breaking out the mic, stand, and hardware for this purpose.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Kittykath wrote:
westend wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Impact driver?? We're not changing a tire here. Any homeowner-type cordless drill should do the job just fine, as long as your jacks are in good working order. I use the same 19.2V Craftsman I use for everything else around the house, and it has more than enough torque. If you want one to leave in the camper, I'd look at inexpensive Harbor Freight models.
Do you have one of these battery powered impact tools? They fit the hand well, don't weigh much, are better balanced than a cordless drill, and don't engage the impact anvil until a certain load is encountered. I reach for mine before the drill in almost all applications, down to fastening devices into boxes inside the home. If you don't own one, when you get one, you'll have that same "aha" moment as the first time you used a cordless drill.

2x

NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Cheap drill to run the jacks down, finish with hand crank if I want tighter.

Nothing mystical here.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Kittykath
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
drsteve wrote:

2x

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
The difference between the little 1/4" drive battery powered impact driver that makes little more noise than an awning being retracted and a diesel engine is, the impact driver used to run the stabilizers up or down only runs a few seconds as apposed to the diesel engines running 40 minutes while the owner plays big rig thinking his neighbors are impressed. A little consideration for others isn't limited to one noisy tool, rattling TV or yapping dog. Could even be slamming doors four times a minute or trespassers who think they're entitled to their site as well as yours. Even had a young family set up their tent on our site at Ginnie Springs one time because we weren't using that part. Some people...
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
danimal53 wrote:
i got the craftsman bolt-on, for lowering the jacks and it also has a tire inflator attachment. A great tool as you can easily add air to tires if needed. It's 20v li-ion, so the battery holds it's charge pretty well in storage. There are tons off other attachments, but so far the drill and inflator have been great.

i should add, the inflator is quite loud, so i wouldn't use it at a time when i'd be waking neighbors. as far as impact goes, seems totally unnecessary for the jacks. but having the option of an impact attachment for the bolt-on is nice for changing tires. not the cheapest set, i think the drill was about $80 on sale, attachments around $30 each.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
i got the craftsman bolt-on, for lowering the jacks and it also has a tire inflator attachment. A great tool as you can easily add air to tires if needed. It's 20v li-ion, so the battery holds it's charge pretty well in storage. There are tons off other attachments, but so far the drill and inflator have been great.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

Irelands_child
Explorer
Explorer
Impact guns are pure nonsense in a CG when a good cordless drill does a fine job.

We had never had the pleasure of listening to impact guns until this year. One, an idiot in a CG in Virginia must have run his stabilizers up and down a half dozen times over 30 minutes for whatever reason. I was about ready to suggest he put that thing somewhere not nice - but then he finished and then decided to overhaul the lighting system for the next two hours. And yes, they left the next morning at around 0700, waking up half the CG with clatter. Jerk!!!

I guess I really have a problem with physically capable folks who can't run a screw jack down a half dozen turns. It really takes less time manually then it does to find and use that powered gadget. If you have a physical problem, then a set of push-the-button powered jacks mounted permanently to your trailer work even nicer.

Oh and my diesel TV - much quieter then the previous V10 gasser.

mrjmrobertson
Explorer
Explorer
I use this one. It's light weight, charges fast and holds a charge a lot longer than my other cordless drill.
Craftsman 12.0V Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver
2013 Ford F-250 6.7 4wd
2015 Outback 312BH

Community Alumni
Not applicable
westend wrote:
A ridgid impact driver won't disturb anyone. Home Depot sells the 18V drill/impact driver sets with a lifetime warranty on the tools, the charger, and the batteries. I use this set almost daily on customer tasks and around the house.

X2. I have a 18v Ridgid Drill/Driver/Impact. It doesn't make the normal loud *clack* *clack* *clack* sounds in impact mode. It's more of a mild buzzing sound. One of the quietest impacts I've ever heard. I normally run the jacks down in drill mode, but have run them down in impact mode as well. The "Impact only" versions of the drill makes all the normal sounds, but the combo units are very quiet when in impact mode.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Since my stab jack's aren't as well maintained as Soundguy's, I use an electric torque wrench powered by a generator brought specifically for the purpose of running it. If I'm leaving early, I make sure to knock on my neighbors door first in order to be sure I'm not going to bother them.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Bears Den wrote:
Bumpy, I'd really appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. I never said anyone was obnoxious. A comment was made about the noise made by drills/impacts. I think the only obnoxious one here is you. Have a good night.

If not considered to be obnoxious, exactly what did you mean by your post,
". Not any noisier than people who start their Diesel engines and let them run while they pack up their campsite.
"? were you complimenting them?
bumpy

Tax_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The 18v from Harbor Freight works great. No need for impact. Charge before leaving, charger goes in camper with the second and third fully charged batteries. Use to pull up jacks. Drill goes into storage compartment or back of truck with the blocks I pull up. Pull in and lower jacks. Swap batteries (I have them numbered to know which was used last) and charge. Start over.

Even in the afternoon, it bugs me when someone uses an impact. If you get one switch the impact part off, if possible. I only use the impact for changing tires.
Traveling around with the wife and fur kid.
Keep on Truckin (It's a 70s thing)
2022 HR Vacationer 35K (Ford Chassis)
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 (Toad)

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpy, I'd really appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. I never said anyone was obnoxious. A comment was made about the noise made by drills/impacts. I think the only obnoxious one here is you. Have a good night.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience