cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cover, yes or no?

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
I was just about to get a cover for my trailer, then I thought about my storage situation.
I have the campground put it in storage and bring it to my campsite so it's waiting for me when I arrive.
1. At low speeds, probably up to 30 mph, more like 10 to 15, will the cover tolerate travel, a couple of miles each way?
2. How easily do the covers tear? If they put it into and remove it from the campsite (not always the same place) I picture snags from low branches.
3. Sounds like I might have to give up the luxury of them moving the trailer in and out in order to keep it covered when I'm not there and avoid possible snags and tears coming and going from storage.
Just thinking out loud.
Your thoughts?
Oh and if I do get a cover what do I want? What brand? What material? What warranty? A mix of weather from blazing hot to below freezing to dry to heavy rain and heavy winds. Small periods of each.
17 REPLIES 17

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
LaunchnRetrieve wrote:
1. At low speeds, probably up to 30 mph, more like 10 to 15, will the cover tolerate travel, a couple of miles each way?

I would not do it unless you know for a fact the TT will only be traveling 5-10mpg at most. The fabric flapping back and forth would not be good for items on the TT.

My TT spends its life outdoors in CO without a cover and so far it's not been an issue.
I love me some land yachting

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We have had a few TT's and they all came with a roof that was made to be outside. They set outside the factory without a cover and then at the dealer without a cover. We sold our last one after 8 years and the roof was fine without a cover.

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think moving it within the area will hurt it. And if the branches are low enough to "snag" the cover, then they are low enough to damage your trailer while it's being moved.

I also considered a cover, but the manuals that came with my camper recommended that a cover NOT be used.
Times fun when you're having flies!