cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Covers. Who uses them? Who doesn't?

GravelRider
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new travel trailer this month and am considering whether I want to cover it or not. I live in northeast Pennsylvania and the trailer is stored outside at a self-storage facility. It comes with a small 50 watt solar panel, which is nice because it always keeps the batteries trickle charged when sitting, as there is no place to plug in when it is stored. However, if I cover it, that negates that benefit. How much difference does a cover make? And for those of you who cover yours, do you keep it covered between each use? Or just when it is stored for the winter? I do envision covering this thing a giant PITA, and since we plan to use it at least a couple times per month spring through fall, that's a lot of covering and uncovering.
21 REPLIES 21

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had an Adco cover for 2 years, I had the correct size, had it strapped tight, but yet the wind whipped it and wore holes everywhere it touched the RV, i Built a 20X40 metal carport, (or RV Port if you wish), the Adco went in the dumpster, $300 +/- wasted.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many different opinions on covers. I have been using one since I bought my trailer a few years ago. The person before me also covered it. I will continue to use it because I believe it makes a huge difference on the exterior of the trailer. I only use it in the winter, wash, wax, winterize and cover. Then check for rodents every few months and change out my dehydrator material. A few weeks or so before I want to use it in the spring, I wait for a dry day, take the cover off and store until next year. The trailer looks new and ready to go when the cover comes off. I do remove my batteries for the winter and rotate them on a battery tender in my garage all winter.

One thing about covers, they have to be the right size and secured very snug due to wind and weather. If you let it flap, it will tear. I have a 5th wheel so the cover is large, but well worth it in my opinion. Same cover now for 4 years.

LibertyMan
Explorer
Explorer
I cover mine. It can be a pain to take it on and off. However, the other 10-15 campers I store mine next to do not get covered. It is real easy to see the difference in covering and not.
2019 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite
2016 Ram CCSB 2500 CTD
GenY Weight Distribution Hitch

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just keep my trailer in a mine during the winter, it's as cheap as most storage lots and keeps the nasty ice away. The downsides are 2 hours each way to storage and I have to use DampRid as the mine is like 80% humidity.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

gchackett
Explorer
Explorer
Never covered the 2 travel trailers I have owned, both were stored outdoors year round. My brother has a cover for his which I believe is a real pita as I have heard. The covers from what I have seen and heard are very lightweight and can't really imagine it doing that much good imho
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1L
2000 Shasta Pheonix 268 Bunk House

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I cover my TT when in storage and use a 30 watt panel and weatherproof controller from WindyNation on top of the cover. Thirty-fifty watt solar panels aren't good for much except maintaining a charge in storage. I really dislike manufacturers that provide a small panel and call it a "solar system."

If you plan coverning and uncovering, and fold carefully, it makes the job easier.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
I don't cover mine but if i did it would just be during the winter months. I would think it would help keep ice and snow out of cracks and crevices that could cause damage over time. I wash mine regularly and wax it once or twice through the summer. I'd think a cover would be a giant pain every time i used it.