cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CPAP and battery power

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
My old RV had invertor output next to the bed, the new one does not and there is no handy spot to tap 12V. My idea is this. Buy a 120V relay with double throw 120v contacts. Remove the 12 volt feed from the back of the convertor that feeds the bed plugs. Buy a 1000 watt invertor and wire it through the relay such that when there is 120v shore power, the relay powers up and switches 12Ov to those plugs. When 120v is not present, the relay goes to its resting position and switches 120V output form the invertor to those plugs. The 2 bed plugs are on their own circuit

I have plenty of room behind the convertor box to accomodate the relay and the invertor.

Anyone see an issue with this?
14 REPLIES 14

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I also wonder why RV manufacrturers do not address this issue. On my current RV, I ordered from the manufacturer and had them split the power outlets so 1/2 was on shore, 1/2 from inverter output. Worked well, they should all do it.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
oughtsix wrote:
My CPAP is 120v only so I purchased a barely used Respironics RemStar off of Craigslist for $125. It uses a 12v brick power supply. I used a RadioShack 12v universal power supply with the interchangeable tips. Works perfect! Much better than doing a whole bunch of wiring and doesn't pull as much current of having an inverter in the mix.

Nope I need either 12v or 120v. No 12 v available in that area without butchering to get at the reading light fixture wiring. And when boondocking I do not have 120v. That is the issue. Also I spend all winter in Mexico and the power there, via my protector, is variable and clicks on and off all night long, so an auto switchover would be nice.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen a number of people use a "battery pack" like a Duracell 600. It is 165 bones from Amazon, but I've seen that is a lot cheaper than the CPAP batteries.

Still_Searchin_
Explorer
Explorer
I ran 8 gauge wires from the battery to a junction box under the bed, then 10 guage wire from the solar panel goes to that junction (thru a controller), and a 12 gauge wire goes to a 12 volt outlet by the bed for the cpap. I also plug in a 400 watt portable inverter into that 12 volt outlet when I want to run or charge my laptop, electric razor & cellphone. The smaller wires that feed the 12 volt outlet by the TV don't seem to provide enough juice to run the 400 watt inverter without chatter.
When boondocking, I don't use the humidifier on the cpap, and using it only on 12volt, it will only take my two 6 volt Trojan batteries down about 1/10 to 2/10 of a volt after a full nite of use + water pump use + LED lites on for 4 hrs. It would probably take another 2/10 of a volt drop if I used the humidifier, though I haven't tried that.
2011 Jayco Eagle Lite 256rks 28ft. travel trailer; Reese SC hitch
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 6L w/3.73 differential
Member: TTN, Escapees, Good Sam
3x around USA, traveling about 6 mo/year

Timothy
Explorer
Explorer
Or you could just use a standard 3 way light switch and select your power source manually. Wire the outlet to the common terminal on the switch, normal power feed to one terminal and invertor feed to the other. Be careful to choose an inverter that will meet the power quality requirements of the cpap.

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
I used an Optima Yellow top battery for tent camping with my CPAP the past few years. I could easily go 4 nights and have plenty of juice left in the Optima. Last weekend was my first trip in our new trailer. I sleep much better with the trailer around me and a real bed under me. We were tethered so I just used the 120V to 12v brick. I will be using the Respronics on 12v when we are dry camping though.
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
I used mine with an inverter plugged into the 12v jack an then an extension cord to my machine. With my new rig I'm going to get the 12v plug for it and tap into a light and put a 12v jack on my side of the bed. The fan on my inverter ran constantly so hopefully with using just the 12v now it will save some juice.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
12 volt here also.I have a seperate battery, size 27, I use for the cpap only.I do use an inverter for things, but not on the cpap
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
My CPAP is 120v only so I purchased a barely used Respironics RemStar off of Craigslist for $125. It uses a 12v brick power supply. I used a RadioShack 12v universal power supply with the interchangeable tips. Works perfect! Much better than doing a whole bunch of wiring and doesn't pull as much current of having an inverter in the mix.
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
I misread your post, so I deleted my answer...

I thought you NEEDED 12 volt power near your bed, but you actually need 120 volt power near your bed. Can you not just run an extension cord from one of the other 120 volt outlets in the trailer?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
and if you use a pass over humidifier, rather than a heated one, your power needs will be minimal.
bumpy

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like an awful complicated solution to what may be a simple problem. Most CPAPs sold today operate on 12vdc or 24vdc. Both have an adapter/plug that allows operating from a 12vdc circuit.

If your CPAP is one of them, buy the 12vdc adapter and plug into the 12vdc system of your RV. What voltage does your CPAP really need? Look at the label on the back.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Are you sure you need the inverter? My CPAP runs on 12V, although I did have to buy a special !2V cable for it. I'm new to CPAP, but have read that most of them run on !2V; 12V is produced by the big block thing on the 120V cord that comes with the machine. By running straight from 12V, you are cutting out the inefficient middleman, the inverter.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If 'resting position' is with the other contacts closed, that will work.

It would be easier and likely safer to just keep the inverter on battery 24/7. When shore is present it will be charging batteries.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman