cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dave Rogers (Whazoo) remembered

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a stunning fellow who posted the best trip reports for truck campers I have ever seen: Dave Rogers AKA the Grand Whazoo. I think that over the years I have enjoyed his work, his puns, his brilliant trips more than anything else on this forum. I'm sad to hear that he's gone from here. But, I'm glad we can still follow him. click

He'll be missed.
17 REPLIES 17

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is really a shame to see so many uninformed posts on any subject, especially when it involves one's personal decision. I will limit my comment to say I am so embarrassed for those experts that make statements that are so untrue and unfounded. I hope I never have someone refer to me as a friend make untrue statements, knowingly or not. I prefer they allow me to take care of my business, and not pour gas on the fire.

There is limited value in this thread going any further.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
I loved Whaz's posts. I remember a couple years ago posting a thread, something to the effect of 'show your best TC related Photoshop pics" or something like that.
I thought I was pretty good at PS, but then somebody said "be careful, as you will awaken the great Whazoo". He really is on another level than me when it comes to PS.

But.. And all, please don't take this wrong. Having been a Moderator myself for a time, I can tell you a Mod's job is extremely tough. As with all things dealing with the public, yer dam'd if ya do, and dam'd if ya don't.
When I saw Whaz's pics, I was like, "wow, those are awesome pics, and I know he took a lot of time to put that together for us---But they're outside the size guidelines." As a Mod, they have to do what Admin and the rules say. And Admin has to answer to a higher power also. Being a member, and a former Mod, I see both sides of this. Sorry to see him go. But nobody leaves here for good... He'll be back.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
67avion wrote:
NRALIFR writes "I am as saddened by Dave's leaving as anyone, and hope that he might choose to rejoin us. But, don't jump to conclusions. It serves no purpose other than to inflame emotions. I think this was a difficult experience for everyone involved".

A thoughtful and reasonable post.

But this is the post from ADMIN in shutting down discussion:

This one is done
Whazoo left on his own
For his blog, click here
End of discussion

Admin
RV.net

Tell me the difference in attitude? You're about to lose me as well. And I haven't been accused to improper posting of images.

Quote it all correctly
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

sstan
Explorer
Explorer
Let's hope Reddog1 and Whazoo can work out a solution. We can't do it here. Hopefully they can realize how senseless this is and how many people it affects and resolve it - within the forum rules...

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
I recall seeing a post a week or so ago from Whazoo inquiring as to how he could cancel his ID and remove all his posts.
I was curious as to what was going on and posted accordingly.
That whole thread disappeared later that day.
Certainly sounds like he was a little PO'd about something!!
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

Wanderin_fool
Explorer
Explorer
I moderate in an ATV forum and I hope someone posts to clarify what happened. Thanks Mods.
Duramax/Lance 835
KTM/Arctic Cats
Motorized advocate in Colo. CMTRA, our local club.
www.cmtrail.org come visit!
Other Forums:
Thedieselplace.com ( chevsforever)
KTMtalk.com (xrcrasher)
Pontoonboating.com (Lounge Lizard)
Arcticchat.com (400crasher)

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
NRALIFR writes "I am as saddened by Dave's leaving as anyone, and hope that he might choose to rejoin us. But, don't jump to conclusions. It serves no purpose other than to inflame emotions. I think this was a difficult experience for everyone involved".

A thoughtful and reasonable post.

But this is the post from ADMIN in shutting down discussion:

This one is done
Whazoo left on his own
For his blog, click here
End of discussion

Admin
RV.net

Tell me the difference in attitude? You're about to lose me as well. And I haven't been accused to improper posting of images.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
None of us know the whole story on this. It's easy to jump to the "over moderation" conclusion, but the fact is that until yesterday, the maximum image size per the picture posting FAQ on the " Forum Technical Support" area was 640x480. You need to remember that there's a "Notify Moderator" link on every post. What would you do if you were the moderator and you got a complaint about a post that was clearly breaking a forum rule? That's what I think happened. It's a dam shame it happened too, as that trip report was beautiful. I've never spoken to Dave or exchanged PM's with him, so I have no inside information.

Another thing that must have made this issue especially difficult is that the rule was being enforced inconsistently. Heck, almost every picture I've posted on my garage-build thread has broken the max size limit. I can only assume that nobody ever complained. Truth is, the ones that would complain I probably hacked off long ago and they blocked me. :B

After learning of this I started a topic on the "Forum Technical Support" page asking if the mod's and admin would consider changing the max image size to 800x600. I haven't taken the time to count up all the "for" and against" replies it got, but my impression is that they were overwhelmingly against it. Adamantly, passionately, unequivocally against it. There was some mention of 800x600 being an unwritten rule", but as we all know, unwritten rules aren't rules. I was ready to give it up because it appeared the opposition was just insurmountable. I didn't check back for a while, but when I did the topic was closed. After reading Pulsar's last post a couple of times I finally realized that they had decided to revise the FAQ to reflect what had been "unwritten".

So now, the RECOMMENDED image size is 640x480, the MAXIMUM image size is 800x600 which seems reasonable.

I am as saddened by Dave's leaving as anyone, and hope that he might choose to rejoin us. But, don't jump to conclusions. It serves no purpose other than to inflame emotions. I think this was a difficult experience for everyone involved.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Before this thread gets closed.
It has not been stated yet.
I would like to thank the forums powers that be for reviewing this issue and meeting demands to allow the wider 800 pixel picture width format.
Credit is due where it should be so thanks guys/gals for taking action.

Dave is not banned or anything from the forum as far as I've read into this.

Dave would always be welcome here to the great fanfare of us members who appreciate his contributions.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, what happened? Did he really get banned? If so I just lost a lot of respect for the administration of this site. He was in my book the best on this sight, always in good humor and taste. there's something wrong here if that's the case.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link, I've been putting many his travels on my to do list.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer
I hope he returns... he has the best trail reports. I love them, he make me want for a TC and to live out west. if he's reading this: Thank You Grand Whazoo for a good read!

petoworx
Explorer
Explorer
what happened? i always thought his reports were entertaining and in good taste...pete

Godfather2u
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know him, but those were some great photos and adventure. Rest in peace Grand Whazoo.