cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dealers lots are filling up

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
Dealers lots around Ohio/western PA are filling up with certain models. Not many heavy duty trucks but I'm seeing a few Chevy and GMC 2500's sit for weeks before being sold and a lot in the pipeline. 1/2 tons are everywhere. Monitoring black book trade and used retail values, they're dropping like a stone. The Dealers I have recently talked to are holding at MSRP on new with one willing to go below MSRP on a 2500 that has been sitting for over 6 weeks. Expect them all to have to start dealing again. Sales are down and dropping. No wonder if you've seen the prices at the grocery store recently and follow the number of companies announcing layoffs or hiring freezes.
151 REPLIES 151

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
The dealer doesnโ€™t need a memo, he is the first to know what is selling and what itโ€™s selling for. If he still has a huge markup, maybe he knows something you donโ€™t know (rather then you knowing something he doesnโ€™t know).

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I was at the local Ford dealer this morning (buying out our lease that we took in 2019, no way possible to turn that down right now).

I was surprised how many new trucks were on the lot. I was equally surprised to see they all still have huge dealer markups. Dealers (at least this one) have not gotten the memo.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Quick article with opinions from Edmunds and Cox Automotive. auto market Mostly nothing new but it was mentioned that dealers are overstocked with used vehicles priced above $35K.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
Ahhhh, some days I wish I could turn my brain on Dreamer Mode and just cruise along in ignorant blissโ€ฆ.
No time for idle dreams. Get busy expanding your business. Otherwise creating your own recession.
Dream + deadline = goal

The economy is not the effect on you but rather your efforts affect the economy.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
shelbyfv wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Ahhhh, some days I wish I could turn my brain on Dreamer Mode and just cruise along in ignorant blissโ€ฆ.
Wishes can come true.:W Cheap shot but I couldn't resist!

Lol, cheers!
I'm kinda torn about it actually.
On one hand, the economy and everything else in the US has suffered enough the last couple years. (Alot of it self inflicted by the govt what with all the over-reaching Covid cr@p and the riots and and and).
But a good ole fashioned recession is also needed to slap some reality back into many people and entities.

And I could use some new stuff and new investments on the cheap!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Wishes can come true.:W Cheap shot but I couldn't resist!

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
time2roll wrote:
Pbutler97 wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
Upside down? Used vehicle prices are astronomical; upside down comes next year when the recession arrives and prices crash.

Next year?
You are right.... probably at least two years away.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Pbutler97 wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
Upside down? Used vehicle prices are astronomical; upside down comes next year when the recession arrives and prices crash.

Next year?
You are right.... probably at least two years away.

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:

Next year?

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II

ddm502001
Explorer
Explorer
Almost feel sorry for those now seriously Upside Down in these trucks and the High priced RVs they are trying to market.

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Travlingman wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Travlingman wrote:

Please give this dealers name as he might have what I am looking for. I am also interested in these big discounts you talk of.

Just get on Autotrader and see who's offering discounts. Search nationwide and by lowest price for a specific model or keyword and the info appears right in front of you.
This thread is not going anywhere. Especially since the "expert" car dealer has chimed in....

I am wanting to see this dealer that Pbutler97 is talking about. No need to do a search when he has a dealer that has this many vehicles on the lot and is discounting.

Sorry, my bad. I thought you were looking for a truck, not just providing a sarcastic passive aggressive reply to his post...
Carry on!

I am looking for a new truck. So it looks like you aren't the psychiatrist you thought you were.
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sometimes they even forget to put wheels and tires on the generic photos...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Pbutler97 -

I've learned over the past 2 years that IF a dealer has that generic photo of a vehicle in front of a rail car, that its ON ORDER, and or in transit... Extended inventory is a fancy way of saying, we will find it and pay top dollar for dealer trade for you ! !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Travlingman wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Travlingman wrote:

Please give this dealers name as he might have what I am looking for. I am also interested in these big discounts you talk of.

Just get on Autotrader and see who's offering discounts. Search nationwide and by lowest price for a specific model or keyword and the info appears right in front of you.
This thread is not going anywhere. Especially since the "expert" car dealer has chimed in....

I am wanting to see this dealer that Pbutler97 is talking about. No need to do a search when he has a dealer that has this many vehicles on the lot and is discounting.

Sorry, my bad. I thought you were looking for a truck, not just providing a sarcastic passive aggressive reply to his post...
Carry on!

I was wrong, I didn't read the fine print LOL. The games they play. Said dealer only has 15 F-150's and 8 Super Duty's "in stock". When you search their website and tick off "in stock" it currently throws you 37 F-150's. You have to scroll through each individual truck to find out that a lot are in transit or pre ordered which they paste into the pictures LOL. What the hell is pre ordered anyway? Some even are shown as "extended inventory" whatever that is.

Where did I ever say they were giving "big discounts"? I guess paying full retail is a discount to some?