cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Deep metal "groaning sound" from hitch. Is this normal?

DaveRVman
Explorer
Explorer
So I have a type of WD hitch I've never used before... Without chains.
On sharper turns I hear a deep groaning type of sound. I think it's the springbar rubbing the support bracket. The only thing I can compare the sound to is what you'd hear in navy type movie in boats where it sounds like the hull is "bending". LOL. Just a deeper groan.

Is this normal?

This is what my WD hitch looks like.
Link

Picture

20 REPLIES 20

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used one for years. Grease helps a lot on the ball, where the spring arm meets the trunion, and where the spring arm secures to the frame.

Family-of-five
Explorer
Explorer
I would lube the ball and the spring bars up front, no lube in back where they rub.Defitatly will take away from the sway control.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike-uswest wrote:
I have a Husky Center-line hitch, and it makes a lot of noise when you first start out, but does get a little better after awhile. A drop of lithe oil on the rub area seems to help, but I guess that nullifies it's main action.

Mike

Yeah that pretty well kills the swaycontrol
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Husky Center-line hitch, and it makes a lot of noise when you first start out, but does get a little better after awhile. A drop of lithe oil on the rub area seems to help, but I guess that nullifies it's main action.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Nature of the beast I think. I have the same hitch with the same sounds.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's been years since using a WDH and owning a TT, but I still remember the sounds, when turning/backing short. It is normal, due to the bind, each setup sounding different, but similar. I did, and I'm sure many still disconnect the bars, before backing short.

Jerry