Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Did I screw up my fan install?

bill-e
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,

I just finished installing a Maxair Deluxe fan but didn't know to use Butyl tape on the flange, I use the Dicor Lap sealant both between the roof and the flange and for sealing the screws and top side.

Comments?

Bill
Thanks,
Bill

'15 Keystone Cougar 26RBI and '15 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
11 REPLIES 11

Gaffer222
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
I would leave it as is but put Eternabond over top of the sealant for an excellent belt and suspenders job.

Eternabond bond it and forget about it. Then relax and have a beer.
2007 Ford Expedition Limited w/Tow package & 3.73 Rear end
Equal-i-zer & Prodigy
2015 Keystone Outback Terrain 250TRS
DW, DD Circa 2002, DD Circa 2005

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
It will be fine.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I would leave it as is but put Eternabond over top of the sealant for an excellent belt and suspenders job.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

bill-e
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advise. I'll pick up some tape and some day when I'm bored and feeling energetic I'll redo it. I still have an unopened tube of Dicor.
Thanks,
Bill

'15 Keystone Cougar 26RBI and '15 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
dan-nickie wrote:
It will be fine.

You prepared to come back in 5 yrs time and repeat this same advice for a third time after the lap sealant the OP has mistakenly used in place of butyl tape has dried out and cracked? :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
It will be fine.
Dan and Nickie

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd pull it up and install it correctly. It's worth the extra 30 minutes and $10 to avoid a potential leak.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
Sorry, I'd have to disagree - anything with a flange that's secured to the trailer should have butyl tape between the flange and the surface to which it's being attached, and once that's done any potential entry point for water should be additionally sealed with lap sealant. Over time lap sealant loses it's resiliency, dries, and cracks and can't be relied upon for a waterproof seal, ergo the reason it's important to inspect and maintain on a regular basis. Under a flange how often do you think one would do that? ... NEVER being my answer, at least not until it starts leaking, which is obviously too late. Personally, I'd remove that vent and redo it properly.

Yep.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I'd have to disagree - anything with a flange that's secured to the trailer should have butyl tape between the flange and the surface to which it's being attached, and once that's done any potential entry point for water should be additionally sealed with lap sealant. Over time lap sealant loses it's resiliency, dries, and cracks and can't be relied upon for a waterproof seal, ergo the reason it's important to inspect and maintain on a regular basis. Under a flange how often do you think one would do that? ... NEVER being my answer, at least not until it starts leaking, which is obviously too late. Personally, I'd remove that vent and redo it properly.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
It will be fine, Some don't put butyl underneath and just cover the edges & screws with Dicor. I regularly inspect the sealant anyway. Nice thing about ceiling fans is any leaks usually become apparent before any damage is done if the manufacturer has folded over the roofing material into the well. You will usually see a drip in the inside if there is any leaking. I remove the inside shroud once a year as part of my annual inspection. Its only 4 screws.

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
It will be fine.
Dan and Nickie