cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnecting the Trailer Connection when staying Overnight.

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, I have a question for you.

We have a Kodiak Travel Trailer and it has Dual Batteries in it, it is towed with a 2017 Silverado 1500.
I always disconnect the trailer's electrical cable when staying overnight at an un-serviced location like a Flying "J", Wal-Mart, etc.,and as a point to jog my memory put a card around the steering wheel so an old feller like myself can remember to plug in.

Question,do I have to do that or does the newer Trucks remember with software or hardware to not allow the truck battery to be siphoned off through the Trailer Connection?

Maybe I should try General Motors but thinking there is more expertise here concerning Trailer Connections, the new truck is really a large computer, quite awesome in some things but no mention that I can find with respect to this subject.

Appreciate any help or comments anyone might have.
2017 Chev Silverado LTZ,6.2 Engine,8 SPEED,4WD, Nav Option, Leather Package, almost all options.
34 REPLIES 34

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
GM varies. The 6.6 diesels do NOT disconnect power. Gassers vary, I don't recall what my manual said exactly but I believe vary based on if you have the dual battery option or not.

Thanks - this is good to know. We rarely overnight without shore power and the dual batteries in the truck have a lot of amp-hours - but it takes a lot of cold cranking amps to start that diesel in the morning, too!

Rob

The D/A batteries have very high CCA but not very high AH, around 70AH each IIRC.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
My TT owners' manual says the trailer won't draw power from the TV unless it is running. But I always disconnect, too. Why take a chance?

2X !!

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
My 04 GM has the charge line always hot. Never unplug for a night. Not much chance of running down three batteries. Also if you happen to have shore power your converter keeps the trailer batteries as well as the TV battery topped up.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had a Ford, Dodge and Chev....always disconnected the cord at night why take a chance. I always disconnected the electrical cord to the toad at night when I towed behind a motorhome. Just me.

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
GM varies. The 6.6 diesels do NOT disconnect power. Gassers vary, I don't recall what my manual said exactly but I believe vary based on if you have the dual battery option or not.

Thanks - this is good to know. We rarely overnight without shore power and the dual batteries in the truck have a lot of amp-hours - but it takes a lot of cold cranking amps to start that diesel in the morning, too!

Rob

That was always my concern with my former Duramax, man,you need lots of battery(s) to crank that engine over even with two batteries.
2017 Chev Silverado LTZ,6.2 Engine,8 SPEED,4WD, Nav Option, Leather Package, almost all options.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
naturist wrote:
My TT owners' manual says the trailer won't draw power from the TV unless it is running.

Baloney. How would your trailer "know" whether the truck's charge line is active or not, whether the truck is running or not? Anytime the charge line is active the trailer will draw from it.

Good grief. :R

It's called various things: battery isolater, voltage controlled relay, automatic charging relay, Basically if the voltage is above about 13.2 volts it will connect assuming a running engine. When the voltage is less than that it disconnects. I've got one on my camper. It works great.

By the way, unless GM has changed recently the charge line is always hot. However, I see no need to unplug for one night if you have 2 batteries on the camper. But, better safe than sorry I guess.

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:

I think you are right, my former vehicle was a D/A and someone told me that was so, I should have checked as suggested by Sound Guy.
If it not necessary to unplug it is just another item that one could easily forget....on a bad day. Thanks!

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
Sound Guy...
"Why guess? Put a voltmeter between Pin 4 (1 o'clock position) and Pin 1 (7 o'clock position) of your truck's Bargman connector then you'll know."

#4= 12 Volt Battery Power (Position 1 O'clock)
#1= Ground (Position 7 O'clock)

Thanks, good idea, will try tomorrow, rain you guys sent to Maritimes coming down now....LOL

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
My TT owners' manual says the trailer won't draw power from the TV unless it is running.

Baloney. How would your trailer "know" whether the truck's charge line is active or not, whether the truck is running or not? Anytime the charge line is active the trailer will draw from it.

Good grief. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have never disconnected over night in over 55 years of camping
samsontdog:o:W

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
My TT owners' manual says the trailer won't draw power from the TV unless it is running. But I always disconnect, too. Why take a chance?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
The OP has a 2017 Silverado so what Ford or Dodge does is irrelevant. :R The question is whether GM has changed practice from earlier model years (such as my 2005 Avalanche & 2006 Silverado) on which the charge line was always hot. Simple solution as I already suggested - check it with voltmeter.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
My '04 GM's battery line was always hot. Maybe they changed them by '17
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
For a over nite it should not matter. Two house batteries and a truck battery should go a long time.