cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnecting the Trailer Connection when staying Overnight.

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, I have a question for you.

We have a Kodiak Travel Trailer and it has Dual Batteries in it, it is towed with a 2017 Silverado 1500.
I always disconnect the trailer's electrical cable when staying overnight at an un-serviced location like a Flying "J", Wal-Mart, etc.,and as a point to jog my memory put a card around the steering wheel so an old feller like myself can remember to plug in.

Question,do I have to do that or does the newer Trucks remember with software or hardware to not allow the truck battery to be siphoned off through the Trailer Connection?

Maybe I should try General Motors but thinking there is more expertise here concerning Trailer Connections, the new truck is really a large computer, quite awesome in some things but no mention that I can find with respect to this subject.

Appreciate any help or comments anyone might have.
2017 Chev Silverado LTZ,6.2 Engine,8 SPEED,4WD, Nav Option, Leather Package, almost all options.
34 REPLIES 34

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Three years of road trips with overnights in parking lots... never have disconnected, never will. Even spending multiple days at a boondock site, if I don't unhitch the truck, I won't disconnect the Bargman.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
GM varies. The 6.6 diesels do NOT disconnect power. Gassers vary, I don't recall what my manual said exactly but I believe vary based on if you have the dual battery option or not.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Community Alumni
Not applicable
My 2014 Ram does not pass thru power when the truck ignition is off. Having said that, I always pull the cable out anyway when we stop overnight.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Canuck Travellers wrote:
Appreciate any help or comments anyone might have.

Why guess? Put a voltmeter between Pin 4 (1 o'clock position) and Pin 1 (7 o'clock position) of your truck's Bargman connector then you'll know.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I know Ford does not pass power to trailer when truck is OFF.. but opening the doors of truck will also turn on trailer lights.

I unplug every time...

as a test .. I always do a parking light test walk around just before pulling out. and do a trailer brake test after 5 feet of moving truck/trailer.

but that's me.