cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I take it off the truck or leave it on for winter?

Mom_s_Folly
Explorer
Explorer
I am a new truck camper this season, and after a great 6 weeks/6000 miles of travel, I need to think about winter. I don't intend to use the truck for much (if any) this winter, so do I take the camper off or leave it on after I get it winterized?
8 REPLIES 8

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use my truck very much in Winter so I leave my camper on it. If I have to use it and there is snow on the ground it does give the truck a lot more traction with the camper on.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

steve68steve
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcaneer wrote:
... You don't need the weight for traction.

As a compulsive nit-picker, I can't help pointing out that more weight = more traction.

Whether it's needed or not is another story. The extra traction gained by adding weight is useful for stopping the extra weight added for traction. ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Travel Lite 960RX
2001 Ford F350 Diesel Super Cab Long Bed

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
If your truck is 2WD, leave the camper on for better traction in snow. If you truck is 4WD, take the camper off to get the weight off the springs. You don't need the weight for traction.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Doesn't matter one lick either way. Do whatever is most convenient for you.

I like to drive my truck so the camper will be coming off later this week, and the truck will be driven as much as is practical until the snow flies. Then, it's back in the barn until at least mid-March. The truck has never seen salt and I intend to keep it that way.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
The weight of the camper allows be to get around much better in the deep snows.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Even if you don't use the truck I'd remove the camper just to get the weight off the truck. Unless no parking room for both separate.
It takes under an hour to remove it. Then you have a spare vehicle too. Better to drive the truck occasionally than let it sit for 6-8 months.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jason4598
Explorer
Explorer
If you are 100% for sure you won't drive the truck, leave it on. If you think might use the truck I would be sure to remove camper before there is snow on the ground. If you have inside storage it wouldn't matter either way.

jason4598
Explorer
Explorer