cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you need Commercial Plates in NY to tow a trailer?

redhat9
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning, I came across this forum and like what I see -- an easy to view website and a wealth of knowledge.

I have a 2019 F-150, SuperCab with 6.5ft box, 2.7 EcoBoost and 10-speed automatic. I plan to mainly tow either a car-hauler with my G-body, 24-ft camping trailer and/or snowmobile/ATV trailer in the future. I am planning on putting airbags in the rear to air up when needed. I am not planning on towing anything ever too crazy, but nothing that I think would overwhelm the little EcoBoost.

I am in New York State, specifically Western New York. Currently the truck is registered with Passenger Plates. I have heard that with Passenger Plates you could be ticketed for hauling a trailer. Is this true? If that is the case, I would plan to get Commercial Plates. I am not too concerned with any restrictions on parkways or certain use roads. I am in a Rural area, and any time I would be on a restricted use road would be in either my Honda Accord or wife's Tahoe.

Thanks for your help.
24 REPLIES 24

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Beverley&Ken wrote:
Your most accurate answers would come from your state's DMV website or in person questions.

I'm guessing you have never contacted a DMV in the states. :B

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Here inn Utah what determines a commercial vehicle is one that provides a service.

Private vehicles don't provide a service.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
redhat9 wrote:
Thank you for the replies!

Best thing. Go to your local DMV and ask. Laws in all states are different. In NC the answer would be a definite no. But that may not be the case for you. Check your state laws
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

redhat9
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ask NY DMV. The only official answer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
The answer is like everything else in NY-it depends! If towing personal items like a utility trailer or a travel trailer you do not need commercial plates. If you are hauling for monetary gain, you need commercial plates and a CDL. Depending on the weight, you may or may not need commercial plates for towing a fifth wheel. Even if you don't need commercial plates to haul said fifth wheel, some jurisdictions will charge you commercial toll rates even though it is personal and private use. I have talked to folks that went across the George Washington Bridge in the Bronx and it seems like the toll taking is random as some get charged commercial rates and some do not (with fw's). Easy Pass goes by plate number so it seems to always be right. If you bypass NYC and take a ferry to Long Island, anything attached by a fifth wheel hitch pays commercial rates but the guy next to you with a much longer tt pays the normal rate. Bottom line is that your car hauler requires you to get commercial plates but your tt and snowmobile trailers do not.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Your most accurate answers would come from your state's DMV website or in person questions.
My GUESS, would be that you are ok, all personal use, no compensation received. Trailer actual or GVWR, may also come into play.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
You do not need commercial plates to tow in NYS.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMHO, short bed and long cab is just a car without a deck-lid.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I would bet that passenger cars are allowed to tow things, so why not your funny looking big passenger car?