cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you wax your trailer?

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Another Newbie question. I know people hose down and even power wash their TT to remove the travel grime, but do you wax it like a car? It seems like a bit much.

When not I use, mine will be parked in the yard with some shade, also Indiana does not have the brutal sun of the southern states.

Likewise, would a trailer cover be wise in the summer months or would it trap too much heat?
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
53 REPLIES 53

Montana_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I use 303 protectent on the whole outside roof included twice a year. Make sure to use it on the awning too. I buy in the gallons. Wash with mild soap and water first.
Time to get camping! 2013 28'Shadow Cruiser
One wife, 4 boys, 2 dogs and a cat.
Montana Mike

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
GOSH! You retired guys are soooooo busy you can't wax 1X a year? I have a farm and I still have time for 3 week vacations, farming, gardening, rebuilding, mowing, weeding, cooking for my wife who is ill, laundry, vehicle maintenence, including waxing, chickens, washing and selling eggs and playing on the internet. Went out wiht friends yesterday afternoon for an evening with Dailey and Vincent and dinner. OH, I am disabled Vietnam Vet and if I don't stay busy I get so stiff in my joints I can't move.

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
I think the really tiring part for me is the roof cleaning. I have used two different brands of cleaner/protectant and neither seem to do the kind of cleaning or protecting I am expecting. I'm really thinking about a spray on roof when the time comes to replace the roof. I have always really liked the rhino liner in three trucks I have owned. They have a roof product that is guaranteed for twenty-five years. I will be nearly dead by then! As far as waxing, I use a product called Dri-wash which is a spray on, wipe off product where the surface does not have to be just washed to clean up and shine. I do my 5er twice a year. I also have a cover for the dreaded winter off-season (boooo-hissss-hisss) Hoping to use the cover less in the next couple years and do more traveling to escape the snow and ice.
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know that either. Ours have been fine so far though. Ours is,aluminum ans yes we wax and buff the aluminum (don't the buff the graphics).
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

MackinawMan
Explorer
Explorer
I started to do it with the regular wax that you apply...let setup a bit...then buff out.

Didn't like the way it looked, so now I use a spray and wipe deal that looks nice.
2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel CC 4x4 OffRoad SRW Long Bed
2008 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS (Momma Eagle)
Equalizer Hitch System (1400/14000lbs)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Curt XD Class V Receiver Hitch (1500/15000 lb)

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
We always wash our TT with some Zip wax (or similar brand) type product in the water. Do you consider this to be a problem for the decals?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
SooperDaddy wrote:
....Never, never, never, never, never wax a vinyl graphic! Did I say NEVER?...

I didn't know that. Maybe that's why my Keystone RV graphics started curling the last 3 years we owned it. It started very simple and not noticed. The second year it progressed and started cracking. The third year the graphics were so cracked and pealed I didn't dare touch them.

We owned the camper 8 years. So this started in year 5 we owned it, (year 6 since it was manufactured.)

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep I wax my aluminum sided TT twice a year (right before the first trip and right before it gets covered for the winter! it`s a lot of work, but it still looks like new. I do wax the decals and they also look like new with no cracking. in the middle of the summer I use a spray on wax. it gets washed before every trip and after if it rained while on the hwy.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
What about waxing aluminum siding? Anyone doing that?
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

APT
Explorer
Explorer
303 Aerospace Protectant on pretty much the whole exterior on my TT, 2-3 times per year. UV protection is all it needs IMHO.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

jimw606
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our little fellow in Nov. last year. I have been wanting to get some warm weather for a few days in a row, so I can clean the roof, wash and wax the trailer. I just like it looking good.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Wax mine also and it's stored indoors although I really hate writing the storage check every month. But in Florida the sun really takes it's toll on things.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

spike99
Explorer
Explorer

Manual Wax on / Wax off at 2 times per year as well. And during this process (1 wall + 1 end on a weekend - to pace myself), I also visually inspect all caulking, windows edges, etc. Nothing wrong with this simple manual task.

For my RVs, I use Meguiars or Mothers Auto Cleaner / Wax. re: - click here -

This works for me...

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
We buff the black streaks out. That strips the wax so we use maguires spray on wax. Spray it on, wipe it off with microfiber cloth. Works wonders, shines beautifully, and less work than other waxes. Also make sure you wash your roof a couple times a year to help prevent those nasty black streaks. If they bake in too long they are really hard to get off. We wash/wax every spring and fall and that works well for us.
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
We travel in a 33rlds, and live in a Bungalow. Both aluminum siding, and they get waxed 2 times a year. Both are 2011 models and look like new. When I do the trailers I also do both cars, takes about 4-days to get everything done. It may take longer if the weather gets over 100 degrees.