cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodge Ram trucks buyback ordered

My_Blue_Heaven
Explorer
Explorer
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration just ordered Fiat Chrysler to buy back 500,000 Ram trucks and Jeeps. (link)

This is an FYI, not a flame on Chrysler. Not trying to start a brand wars thread.
2001 F350 Lariat CC 4WD 7.3 PSD dually, chipped, 4" SS exhaust, 350 hp, Rancho 9000's, front receiver, front & rear Roadmasters
2009 Arctic Fox 990S, storm windows, Cummins/Onan, FastGuns, Torklifts
44 REPLIES 44

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, looks like both me and my Dad skated past on this one. I have a first gen, and he has a 3rd Gen 2500 mega cab 4x4 with the last of the pre-lsd required diesel engines.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
PER FCA.....

The Ram pickups at the heart of this buyback settlement are 2008-2012 Ram 4x4 1500, 2500, 3500, 4500 and 5500 vehicles. FCA says more than 60 percent of the vehicles within that category have already been fixed, and under the agreement, it will be required to offer current owners of those qualified pickups a fair price (spelled out as the total after depreciation is subtracted from the purchase price). Other vehicles affected in this agreement include several Jeep and Dodge SUVs.

Those trucks and SUVs have “defective suspension parts that could cause the vehicle to lose control,” according to NHTSA documents.

Interestingly, the buy back is up to the customer. The owner can decide to either take the cash or opt for a free fix of the problem. Also, FCA reserves the right to resell the vehicles after fixing the problem.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

billsnp5
Explorer
Explorer
I hope they buy mine back. This is from the website:

"How much will I get for my pickup?

According to NHTSA, the buyback program requires FCA to give a refund of the purchase price minus depreciation plus an additional 10 percent."

If they go by KBB, with the plus 10% I should be able to buy a new truck as these trucks hold their value well.
2021 Host Cascade
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4X4 Crew Cab Diesel
2013 Phoenix 721 Bass Boat

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:

When I took my truck in for a front end recall they said my truck wasn't one of the ones in the recall. My ball joints still failed at 50,000 miles. As tbred states, the recall work doesn't fix all the ills.

Ball joints are suspension components, not steering. And mine failed too and were replaced at 40k miles. Put some Moogs in and you'll be good.

woodhog wrote:
It finally caught up with them, they put the first heavy diesel in a pickup back in the early nineties, mated it to the largest car transmission they had in the automatics, from then on it was failed transmissions for many years, early ball joint failure, sway bar end links broken,hub bearings failing, universal joints failing in the front end, universal joints failing in the drive shafts...it took them until the latest chassis design in 2012 to get the suspension right...

Quite the mess..

Dodge started putting Cummins engines in their trucks in the '80s. The trucks made at that time did not have ball joints (kingpins) nor did they did not have hub bearings (because they had tapered roller bearings).

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
This company has had to be bailed out of bankruptcy twice by the American taxpayer.

That must be some sort of record.

During the latest bankruptcy fiasco they basically gave the company to Fiat, and things have been going so well Fiat has lately been trying to sell out to some other suc...sucke...suitor.

I wonder if they'll be asking for a government loan to finance this buyback.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
tbred wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
My 2010 had a recall and repairs were done on the front steering and suspension. I guess I am in the 60% of those who had repairs made.

Our friends also had the repairs done on their 2012. The issue as I understand it is those repairs didn't necessarily correct the problem.

According to the NHTSA, my vehicle has no active recalls. I just had the front end recall repaired this Fall.

When I took my truck in for a front end recall they said my truck wasn't one of the ones in the recall. My ball joints still failed at 50,000 miles. As tbred states, the recall work doesn't fix all the ills.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
tbred wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
My 2010 had a recall and repairs were done on the front steering and suspension. I guess I am in the 60% of those who had repairs made.

Our friends also had the repairs done on their 2012. The issue as I understand it is those repairs didn't necessarily correct the problem.

According to the NHTSA, my vehicle has no active recalls. I just had the front end recall repaired this Fall.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
sleepy wrote:
The TV news tonight was going after Mustangs at the car rental places... Hertz, Avis, said that they will no longer rent them out.... so ford has troubled too.

That probably has a lot more to do with the jackwagon behind the wheel thinking they're Mario Andretti or the Duke Boys, than anything wrong with the car, though.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
It finally caught up with them, they put the first heavy diesel in a pickup back in the early nineties, mated it to the largest car transmission they had in the automatics, from then on it was failed transmissions for many years, early ball joint failure, sway bar end links broken,hub bearings failing, universal joints failing in the front end, universal joints failing in the drive shafts...it took them until the latest chassis design in 2012 to get the suspension right...

Quite the mess..
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

Explorer II
Explorer II
So can I assume correctly that I may get a great deal on a 2012 3500 DRW next year?

Does this include diesel models?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Jeepers92 wrote:
They checked my 07 and said there was no problem. I spent $2k replacing hubs, ball joints, and steering linkage. I womder if i can get my money back?

The recall for 2500 and 3500 trucks is 2008-2012.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jefe 4x4 wrote:
... It's interesting to note how much conjecture is appearing on this thread compared to facts. Just a thought.
jefe
How right you are. Unfortunately, tomorrow much of the conjecture will be posted as fact.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
Super_Dave, was your truck state safety inspection in California?

Wayne

Just registered the truck for Utah. They have yearly safety inspections. The registration fee dropped from almost $500/year to $120/year.
So, the safety inspection was in and for Utah.

I worked with a fellow years ago that licensed his vehicles in Oregon, but he lived in California. His driver's license was California. His vehicle insurance was on a California address. A CHP pulled him over, stating he had saw my co-workers truck on several occasions with Oregon plates. The CHP saw the driver's license was California, and wrote a citation for false vehicle registration. The CHP said the Judge could sort it out, and stated that if the vehicle was brought into California from another state it was to be transferred to a California license. After it was said and done, my co-worker paid a substantial fine. I hope you do not get caught up in something like that.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
I think buy-back and bail-out with Chrysler are related.
Remind me who is paying for them?

FCA is. The loans have ALL been paid back.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer