cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

double bunk, bunkhouse

Thsldo
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of selling our hybrid. We have got tired of having to use the dinette as a bed, and climbing over the dinette to get into the other bed. First thing that came to my mind, was to buy a bunkhouse with the 4 bunks in the front, and the rear slide out queen bed. looking at all used units, and the one that we really like is the Outback 26rs. but the cost for a 3 or 4 year old unit are rather high, want to stay around 15k. I happen to see a new Starcraft AR-One Maxx 26bh, queen in the front, double bunks in the back, going for around 15k. so I started searching for similar models with the double bunks in the back, and haven't found any, or the ones I do find are over 20k. So hear are my questions, is Starcraft quality all that bad? I dont mind solving small problems myself, it's the bigger functional appliances that I dont want to have to replace. second, are 3 or 4 year old Outbacks (Keystone) that good that paying over 10k is worth it? Thanks in advance for everyone's input.
Tom & Steph and 4 munchkins
2011 Dodge Durango 5.7
10 REPLIES 10

Thsldo
Explorer
Explorer
The aerolite 26Qs is what sold us on that model, we almost purchased one last year, but a day late!
2011 Dodge Durango 5.7

bfourman
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 06 Aerolite 26QS with the quad bunks in front and it works out great for us. With 3 kids the typical 'bunkhouse' doesn't cut it with only 2 bunks. The only thing I don't like about the rear queen bed slide is I have to lay a bit sideways or I touch both bed walls, and I'm 5'11". I will agree that the Aerolite build quality is excellent, we have had zero problems with ours.
'00 GMC Yukon XL K2500 - 6.0L, 4L80e, 3.73s, P3, AirLift, BlackBear tuned.
'14 Aerolite 282DBHS - Andersen No-Sway

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
We have the double bunkhouse and love it. Grand-children can have a TV on in one room while we have something else on in the other room. Bunks are wonderful for storage.
Teenagers can sleep late and we can use the table.

Thsldo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Went around this weekend and there are a bunch of different options out there. Now it comes to narrowing the search down. I am kind of thinking to wait till the RV show here in February, as we are still waiting to sell our Hybrid. I'll update the post once we sign on the dotted line!
2011 Dodge Durango 5.7

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer

This is nearly the same layout and we love our KZ
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

mikeinaz
Explorer
Explorer
I just traded in my hybrid as well and picked up a Starcraft Launch 26bhs. Love it! It has a small slide out in the living area, double size bunks in the rear and a large L shaped kitchen my wife loves. I picked it up for $19k (2015). My HTT was a Starcraft and I had no issues w/ the trailer itself, small things like the awning or a door had to be replaced buy Starcraft didnt make those items. If I was going to use mine a LOT I could see spending a bit more money but for 10 uses a year, I cant justify it. Best of luck and check out the floorplan I mentioned!

BStrummin
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up an 08 Aerolite 26QS this summer which is basically the same as the Outback 26rs of the same vintage. My brother has an 04 Outback 26rs. I've only had mine for a few months but it is a great trailer, and definitely cost more than similar vintage Jaycos (for example) when I was shopping, but the build quality difference was very noticeable in the used trailers I looked at. Aluminum frame construction was a plus for me. Mine is a former rental but shows very little sign of wear even though I know it got a lot of usage. My brother's Keystone gets a lot of use in parks and in the backcountry, with two boys that are pretty rough on things and he's never had any problems in the several years he's owned it.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thsldo wrote:
We are in the process of selling our hybrid. We have got tired of having to use the dinette as a bed, and climbing over the dinette to get into the other bed. First thing that came to my mind, was to buy a bunkhouse with the 4 bunks in the front, and the rear slide out queen bed. looking at all used units, and the one that we really like is the Outback 26rs. but the cost for a 3 or 4 year old unit are rather high, want to stay around 15k. I happen to see a new Starcraft AR-One Maxx 26bh, queen in the front, double bunks in the back, going for around 15k. so I started searching for similar models with the double bunks in the back, and haven't found any, or the ones I do find are over 20k. So hear are my questions, is Starcraft quality all that bad? I dont mind solving small problems myself, it's the bigger functional appliances that I dont want to have to replace. second, are 3 or 4 year old Outbacks (Keystone) that good that paying over 10k is worth it? Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

I have an '07 Keystone Outback 25RSS (queen slide out in rear/side slide out/double bunks in front) and it sure suits our needs. Plenty of room when it's just two of us, and room for kiddos when they want to come along. I paid a bit more than I wanted for it, but it was in excellent condition, so the premium price was acceptable. Prior owner was meticulous in upkeep and it showed. I've checked prices on the same unit used and they are still pricing out, with the same options I have, in the $15-17K range. Smaller ones or trailers without the side slideout are a bit less..$12-13K. The quality has been good, there's been no major problems for us, now in our 3rd season with this trailer. I think that, if you can find a similar deal, with an owner who's taken better than average care of the unit, to jump at it. You get what you pay for.

ETA: I've also had 2 StarCraft popups in the past. One I bought brand new from an RV show. Loved the quality of those pups! First one was a 68 model, 2nd was a 95 model. It's been a while since I've had one, and I understand they are part of the Jayco family now (weren't back then), so it's sure possible the quality has changed.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Starcraft AR-ONE 14RB. We've had several quality issues and wouldn't buy it again. Issues include wiring problems (burning smell caused by a bolt holding down the dinette seat too close to a wire under the dinette seat, causing the smoke detector to repeatedly go off), refrigerator problem (doesn't cool properly even after going back to the dealer and now the freezer door won't stay shut - we have a small one door refrigerator with a smaller freezer inside), defective workmanship under the couch - cross brace pieces have pulled away from the front edge of the couch, and there's a 1/2 space between the end of the three crossbrace pieces and the front of the couch. Only the nails showing are keeping it together. That will be our next trip to the dealer - to get them replaced, along with the freezer door problem.

You get what you pay for. Lesson learned.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI