cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Downsizing TT any helpful hints on storage.

onetwin
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 18ft Palomino Palomini 150RBS. I'm use to a 30ft TT. So I was wondering if anyone had any helpful hints on storage or any other tips on surviving traveling in a small trailer. Thanks
2005 GMC 2500HD Everything Stock
2001 Keystone Bobcat 278EBS
2015 Palomino Palomini 150 RBS
2002 Chevy Blazer (chase vehicle)
One Loving husband, Tony
13 REPLIES 13

kmbernstein
Explorer
Explorer
In our Koala, we changed the closet from a closet with hanging rod to having just shelves. We usually have just have jeans t-shirts sweatshirts etc, so no need to hang anything. Can also put our shoes in the closet now. Added shelves in the linen closet and pantry too. Increased storage there. Got a double footstool that has storage Great for coats and blankets. You can also maybe add a rod in the shower to store things when not using it as a shower. I also have nice decorative hooks on the walls (using command attachments) for hats, keys, jackets, etc. All cupboards are packed tight. If it hasn't been used in a year, it gets the boot. I make menus for meals, as I like to precook, and take what we need. Stacking tubbies are great for underbed storage. One thing you will find with a smaller trailer is that everything needs to be put back in place. It gets very cluttered very quickly.
Me, 1 Great hubby (Tim), Cole the Standard Poodle,
Magic the tiny Bengal Cat
2012 Skyline Koala 21CS
2007 Ford Explorer

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
dadmomh wrote:
Every single item you take from the 30', if you didn't use it at least once last season - and that's being generous - stow it at home or even donate.

x2 - This was my first thought as I started reading the thread.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Every single item you take from the 30', if you didn't use it at least once last season - and that's being generous - stow it at home or even donate. We hauled around a Dutch Oven for several years until we realized we only used it once in the fall. I always know what our meals are going to be and we can just grab it if we need it. Had 5 tablecloths that migrated into our ROO....have no idea why when 1 will do nicely. We weren't downsizing, rather going from the ROO 23SS to our Rockwood 2604, but it is definitely on Weight Watchers. We can pack clothes for 1 week with no problem....that's what laundry facilities are for. Minimize. I do hate to admit that I have a handful of things that were gifts and I just cannot unload them even though they've never been used...at least they're very lightweight. I'm also a believer in Rubbermaid type containers....they make life easier and neater. Good luck in your new trailer....there is a certain peace in a smaller environment.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

onetwin
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my God. Thank you everyone for your hints and advice. My husband and I are going to be busy trying out your comments. The first thing we did when decided to buy a smaller TT was to put a camper shell on the truck. We know it is going to be a learning curve for me. Cause my husband says I everything from the house when we take long trips. Again, Thank so much. I knew this was the place to go to get some comments.
2005 GMC 2500HD Everything Stock
2001 Keystone Bobcat 278EBS
2015 Palomino Palomini 150 RBS
2002 Chevy Blazer (chase vehicle)
One Loving husband, Tony

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bob/Olallawa wrote:
Lots of good ideas here, but do watch the added weight when you add additional storage features.

That's a really good point. When I finished all our mods (including laminate flooring, electrical and plumbing mods, and lots of misc. things), fully loaded for camping, our scaled weight was almost at the GVWR which really surprised me. I didn't weight the TT before though, so I have no idea of the actual overall weight I added. The cumulative weight of all the materials and hardware can creep up on you quickly.

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good ideas here, but do watch the added weight when you add additional storage features. Try to keep the weight balanced for proper tongue weight and stay within the GVW rating of the rig. When you get it loaded up, run across the scales checking each tire position if possible to stay within their weight rating.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We use Corelle dishes. They are durable, microwave safe, and nest to take up little space. I also customized additional cupboard shelves to maximize items in a minimum space.

Picture shows 38 pcs in a space 11"h x 13"w x 11"d): 8 plates (sm, lg), 12 bowles (sm, med. lg), 4 mugs, 12 glasses (sm, med, lg) 1 measuring cup, and a small bin for spices. Note tension rods shown in place for travel.

Another added shelf and handy storage bins maximizes storage in this small cupboard.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
deleted

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every available cubic inch of potential storage space is like gold, especially in small TT. Our first TT was 20' and we thought we were going to keep it for a vey long time so I did a LOT of mods and here's what I did to improve storage. I did all the work myself and wanted it to look factory original.

If you have blank plywood panels on any of the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom or other cabinetry, they are potential storage spaces. I removed almost all these blank panels and added doors and drawers. I went to a cabinet shop and had custom size doors and drawers fronts made up. You could also go to the dealer and walk through other units from the same manufacturer to see if there are stock door sizes that will work.

Above one dinette seat, there was a shelf that had about 6" from the top surface to the underside of the window above. I added a pair of drawers.

Under the kitchen sink, on one side, I added a bank of drawers.

Under the bed, I added a large drawer to make it easier to access the space more frequently.

I added an extra shelf in every upper cabinet. Many TTs do not come with a shelf in the middle of upper cabinets.

I re-arranged the waste and PEX water piping under the kitchen sink to give more useable space. Often, the factories just slap in the piping without regard to maximizing use of this space. Same in the bathroom.

I added a bank of drawers on either side of the bed.

Added a magazine rack above a dinette seat.

In addition to the usual pass-through storage up front, we had a small exterior storage compartment to the rear (sure wish we had that now) and right below that was a mouse-hole and box to push the shore power cord into. I converted to a detachable shore power cord and made the bottom of the existing compartment accessible with a false bottom. Good for storing things not used that often.

THE hardest thing about doing all this was how almost nothing was square, plumb, level or straight. I spent hours getting things to fit properly.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a few suggestions:
1. Collapsible bowls, strainer, etc. can save space in the kitchen cabinets.
2. Wall mounted knife carrier.
3. Look for small modifications that can create storage such as wall mounted magazine rack for storing reading materials, tablet, laptop, etc.
4. Well labeled totes that can be transported in truck bed. Then, a tote or two with stuff that you use while camping can be slid under the trailer.
5. A lightweight box or two mounted on bumper can be used for sewer fittings, wheel chocks, etc.
6. A small ottoman can be used for a footrest in front of your sofa, and you can buy one that can be used for storage...great for an extra blanket or two.
7. Use a shoe holder that's designed to hang on bed platform.
8. Collapsable laundry hamper can be kept in shower when not using shower.
9. Mount a carrier for sewer hose.
10. If you have WD bars to store, you can make a carrier for those and mount to bumper or trailer frame.
11. With a little modification (welding the appropriate receiver), you could get a small carrier from Harbor Freight for around $50 and use it to carry gear. Remember, tt bumpers cannot support much more than the spare tire.

And, the most obvious, analyze what you really need/use while camping and get rid of stuff you don't need. Since you downsized from a larger RV, you will probably find quite a few things. We downsized from a 29' TT to a 26' trailer and are still making changes to what we carry and what we don't need.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Emptypockets
Explorer
Explorer
In our Rockwood Mini Lite 1809S we use plastic storage tubs for extra clothing & store them in the space under the bed. Also it is amazing what can be stored behind the sofa. As TucsonJim said we love our covered pickup bed.
The Palmers

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
One of the nice things about having a pick up for a tow vehicle is all the extra storage you can have if you install a camper shell.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
One set of what you need instead of two, Haul around what you need not what you think you might need later. Probably the worst hit storage will be the bedroom area. Clothes could be a problem for sure as well as an extra set of bedding. Dry or canned food storage, well you will most likely have to shop more often.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.