cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving with the frige on?

mikeflys
Explorer
Explorer
Our new TT is our 3rd rv. Started with a pop up, then a motorhome. In both our old rigs we traveled with the refrigerator running. For some reason I have not in our new TT. We are planning a trip that will require 2 days to get there. It would be nice to keep the frig and freezer cold. Is it really that unsafe to travel with the frige running?
34 REPLIES 34

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
lucy6194 wrote:
check out camper burns mitchel south dakota on You Tube.we had everything off so guess it doesn't matter either way!!!!

Could you please post a link?

Thanks
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
mikeflys wrote:
Wow I am impressed with the number of responses in such a short time! Thanks for all your opinions. The only issue I have with turning my frige off when I fuel up is I have to open my slide to reach the frige. How big of an issue could it be? The trailer is back behind the truck and the frige is closed up inside the trailer.

Assuming you go to a rest stop before you fuel, turn it off there. Turn it on again at your next stop after fueling. You can go hours before you need to turn it on again, providing the fridge is full.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
check out camper burns mitchel south dakota on You Tube.we had everything off so guess it doesn't matter either way!!!!

brockwellw
Explorer
Explorer
Run mine all the time when traveling. I have had to valve out gas bottles if going through some tunnels or the Chesepeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, as they will ask if it is on. If it is not allowed, there will be signs posted that can't be missed. Have fun and be safe.

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
After owning 2 absorbtion fridges, one a 3 way which is older technology and a 2 way(newer) we always travelled with the propane on except for the times it was not permitted. I don't think we had a problem.

Now, we leave our fridge/freezer on 24/7 on ferries/tunnels/fuelling, anytime.With our lifestyle it is not uncommon to be camping on very uneven ground. We even stop on 12% slopes for extended times and the meat stays frozen and the beer stays ice cold.

It is not for everyone and you must be setup electrically for it but I have yet to hear of a compressor fridge burning up an RV.

There are alternatives.

12% grade for 1.5 hours. Could stay like this indefinately.Galena Bay ferry. B.C. April/13

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Really?? :R

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Like everything else, good sense and the rig configuration should govern, I guess.

This guy definitely should have turned his off!

link to story
Was this proven to be started from the fridge or was it a static charge. Looks like the flames are more under it than anywhere.

According to article.....
RV owner took gas nozzle off pump......then turned it ON
Handle was 'stuck open' and spewed gas all over side of rig and into the fridge lower vent.
Gas vapors were then ignited by fridge propane flame.

Fire Investigator said.....possible BUT was still unsure how fire started.

One thing for sure........put nozzle into fuel fill BEFORE turning pump on
What we seem to have here is another case of-- You can't fix stupid!!
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bird Freak wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Like everything else, good sense and the rig configuration should govern, I guess.

link to story
Was this proven to be started from the fridge or was it a static charge. Looks like the flames are more under it than anywhere.

According to article.....
RV owner took gas nozzle off pump......then turned it ON
Handle was 'stuck open' and spewed gas all over side of rig and into the fridge lower vent.
Gas vapors were then ignited by fridge propane flame.

Fire Investigator said.....possible BUT was still unsure how fire started.

One thing for sure........put nozzle into fuel fill BEFORE turning pump on
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Francesca Knowles wrote:

link to story
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer

link to story
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The small flame from fridge is enclosed and isn't going to jump out of compartment while refueling. It's also located about 4' off ground.

I'm more worried when refueling of the idiot jumping in/out of their vehicle or smoking cigarette
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

robbie69
Explorer
Explorer
the_happiestcamper wrote:
I looked at Forest River's site. They don't say if their fridges are 2 or 3 way, but they do say they are double door. I don't think I've ever seen a 3 way that was bigger than a small one door (usually in popups) - not saying there is not any larger than that, just not common.

yrs ago when i was a kid my dad used to sell rv's part time and alot of them were 3 way. we had a normal camper sized reefer in a motor home that was 3 way. 3 way has pretty much gone the way of the 4 burner stove-you still see em but they are few and far between.
2004 silverado 2500HD crew cab 4x4 long bed 8.1L gas hog
2006 skyline nomad 3260 platium edition, prodigy, reese dual cam
1 very part time camping son and 3 full time camping, 4 legged fur balls
1 SU (spousal unit) who loves rv'in as much or more than me

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I dont turn mine off when refueling but mine is so far away from the pumps i dont worry about it. I never pull the 5er up beside the pumps.
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

mikeflys
Explorer
Explorer
Wow I am impressed with the number of responses in such a short time! Thanks for all your opinions. The only issue I have with turning my frige off when I fuel up is I have to open my slide to reach the frige. How big of an issue could it be? The trailer is back behind the truck and the frige is closed up inside the trailer.