Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dually or Single?

vampirefish
Explorer
Explorer
All,
I am looking to upgrade to a much larger 5ver so will need a larger truck. Here are the specs of the trailer we're very interested in:

Specifications
Length 42'11"
Width 8'0"
Height 13'2"
Interior Height 7'0"
Hitch Weight 1,996 lbs
Dry Weight 12,565 lbs
Gross Weight 15,500 lbs
Cargo Weight 2,935 lbs
Fresh Water Capacity 64 gals
Grey Water Capacity 108 gals
Black Water Capacity 54 gals
Furnace BTU 35,000
Sleeps 6
Tire Size 16" E-Rated
Slides 4

So.. with this in mind, we are looking at an LBZ Duramax 3500 (1 ton) long bed.... should I go with a dually or single wheel? Thanks so much ahead of time.

-Kary
2004 Jamboree GT 31W
39 REPLIES 39

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
15,500# GVWR..........dually is proper tow vehicle and would hardly be overkill

I would be more concerned with that weight of trailer and ONLY 'E' rated tires.

My 5vr is 14K GVWR and came with 'G' rated and 7K rated axles. I wouldn't have wanted lesser rated.

My thoughts also because of the length and 4 slides and E tires.

My neighbor for 3 months this winter has a new Montana (40) ft and he has a 2500 03 GMC. One day he told me as he was standing beside our truck, this is what I will be buying meaning a DRW. First rv and first trip but he can understand the reason for a DRW. Two large new fifths owners didn't not enjoy my comments about their china tires and E load last season but both came with new tires this time from severe tire problems with damage on one of them.

Both were under 2 years old. The one bragged he spent $700.00 for new tires and was the same guy that told me I didn't know my story was true last season.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
vampirefish wrote:
Well I bought a 2009 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW... I LOVE it and can't wait to get my new trailer!

Good choice.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
vampirefish wrote:
Thanks all... definitely not looking at a new truck so I'll go with the DRW older model

The new model single axles have a higher rating, and that trailer would be borderline for them. So, even new, I would go dually.

When you stated you were going to get an older model, then you really need to go dually. Sounds like you reached that decision too.

Good Luck, enjoy that new trailer!

vampirefish
Explorer
Explorer
Well I bought a 2009 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW... I LOVE it and can't wait to get my new trailer!
2004 Jamboree GT 31W

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Dually.

I've had he experience of towing back to back runs with my 06 and 09. Two trips I did, one with each truck, were the same model trailer. The dually was much more rock solid feeling - the wind didn't push me around like it did with my 06.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
prstlk wrote:
The saving grace for the single rears is the toad use. I would assume this will be your toad so you might take turning radius and width of rig into consideration. I see that you are from the same area as us so If you plan on staying in the wide open spaces out west it's a non issue. We found when we went east the fruther you go the skinner the roads and the tighter the parking places. We had a dodge club cab 3/4 SRA and in places like Savanah it's very tight to just get around.
My 2 cents

The

Where did a 3500 8K lb TV become a toad in this thread :H
Maybe I missed it but I thought this was going to be his TV :H
OBTW have you ever been to the Black Hills, SD? A few tight roads there also :W Yeah I didn't try one of em.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
The saving grace for the single rears is the toad use. I would assume this will be your toad so you might take turning radius and width of rig into consideration. I see that you are from the same area as us so If you plan on staying in the wide open spaces out west it's a non issue. We found when we went east the fruther you go the skinner the roads and the tighter the parking places. We had a dodge club cab 3/4 SRA and in places like Savanah it's very tight to just get around.
My 2 cents

The
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
PhilipB wrote:
Stability is the key word already mentioned.

Unless you have other issues like using it for a daily driver or garage limitations when not towing, I'd go with the dually.

Ditto,

I'd go dually too.
Bob

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
vampirefish wrote:
Hey y'all... so I've found a potential truck that has a factory installed flatbed. Owner states that it has a gooseneck ball mounted underneath an access door in the 8' bed and that I should be able to mount a fifth wheel plate on there without much effort.

I pull a 5th wheel right now but am not familiar with a goose neck... what would this entail for me to set it up correctly?

You could purchase a 5er hitch that mounts to the ball in the floor of the truck...and go with a conventional 5th wheel hitch..

If you opt for a GN, I'm not that familiar with which one's to recommend...but I believe B&W makes a 5er hitch to fit over ball in bed of truck, also Curt, but not sure.

There is also the Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch that has been discussed on these forums that would fit over the ball, worth looking into...(Tweedy's sell's quite a few hitches with free shipping and you could look up several of these hitches.)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

vampirefish
Explorer
Explorer
Hey y'all... so I've found a potential truck that has a factory installed flatbed. Owner states that it has a gooseneck ball mounted underneath an access door in the 8' bed and that I should be able to mount a fifth wheel plate on there without much effort.

I pull a 5th wheel right now but am not familiar with a goose neck... what would this entail for me to set it up correctly?
2004 Jamboree GT 31W

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Dually.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

vampirefish
Explorer
Explorer
Y'all are awesome! When I find my truck, I'll update my post 🙂
2004 Jamboree GT 31W

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
vampirefish wrote:
Thanks all... definitely not looking at a new truck so I'll go with the DRW older model

Very wise choice!! It is nice to see a poster that listens to good advice.

Agreed...having read the OP's first remarks...It appeared they were going to be purchasing an "older" truck...I would also agree to go with a dually in that case.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
vampirefish wrote:

Very wise choice!! It is nice to see a poster that listens to good advice.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"