cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dually ride vs regular truck

LA-REDNECK
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has lower back problems and riding in our current set up really has started causing lots of pain when pulling our fifth wheel. Does the ride when towing with a dually get any better or about the same. Considering moving to a dually or possibly a motor home. Any thoughts appreciated.
LA-REDNECK

2013 Tiffin Allegro Open Road
2017 Acadia
26 REPLIES 26

Minermark
Explorer
Explorer
I run around 45+psi in my 3500Dually for city/farm runaround town.
Loaded 5th wheel then everything will be at proper pressure.
Soft ride, min tire wear.

Now if i could just get around to replacing my BS factory seat, id be in heaven.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/115497253@N02/0X91g9

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Okie1 wrote:
A SRW is always going to have a better ride than a DRW, do you really need a dually?

Completely disagree. I rode in a friends 2016 GMC 3500 4x4 short bed. My 15 RAM Dually with factory rear air ride rides just as good if not better.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
A SRW is always going to have a better ride than a DRW, do you really need a dually?
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
My 2005 F350 LB dually rode better than the 06 F250 SB, 15 F250 LB and my Excursion. I thought it bounced less than the first 2 and absorbed bumps better than all 3. I was surprised because I heard that a truck rides like a truck but it was my DD and to me rode smooth like a Cadillac lol. I just had to get used to turning wider with the extra width of the rear.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
my new 2016 Dodge 3500 CC LB 4x4 DRW rides much better than my 2008 regular cab LB F250 2 wheel drive.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
2014 F350 DRW. A little rough empty, however very smooth towing 5th. I really think what helps the most is Morride pin box and trailer suspension. Too the BW hitch takes out the banging. We had a 2001 Dodge and the seats killed us. The King Ranch seats are excellent.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Aftermarket pickup truck seats
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wonder if you could buy as seat from a Kenworth dealer that would install in a pickup?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy what you want and put an air ride seat in for her. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

LA-REDNECK
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Will think about this awhile before deciding.
LA-REDNECK

2013 Tiffin Allegro Open Road
2017 Acadia

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
CumminsDriver wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My 15 RAM Dually with factory rear air ride with the rear tires at 35psi rode as good or better than a friends 3500 GMC SRW short bed.

Loaded and unloaded the truck rides GREAT!!!

Sounds like you changed your position on the ride quality...

OP,
Depending on your wife's back issue I would seriously consider a Motorhome. If anything you can get up and walk around. We have a Dodge DRW 07 model and that rides terrible and has been retired as a daily driver (because of the ride)to pulls a cattle trailer ever now and then. We even put a Ranch Hand front bumper on it to help with the ride.

I don't know why your Dodge Dually rides so bad, I've owned 2007 and 2009 Dodge Duallys and I thought the ride was pretty good for Dually pickups, and both were setup to haul a 5000 lb slide in camper. The 2013 Chevy 2500HD I had before my current truck in signature rode harsher than the Dodge Duallys. Some of that was due to having to run no less than 60psi in the rear tires when the truck was empty because of the TPMS. My current Chevy Dually rides great for what it is. No TPMS on it enables me to run 40 psi in the rear duals empty.

"I thought the ride was pretty good for Dually pickups" is a very relative term. The 07 truck I mentioned was by BIL daily driver truck and although he doesn't have back problems he just grew tired of the rough ride. Again the OP is asking if these trucks ride are suitable for someone with back issues and having a truck that bounces around and jolts you is not going to set well with a back problem no matter how comfortable the seat is.

Having said my dad's new '16 Chevy Duramax 2500 also has a surprisingly rough ride but he thinks he has to run 70psi in his tires due to the TPMS. I think he'll he figure out what is the lowest psi required pretty soon.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
I'll vote with the seat part of equation. THAT is the key to having back issues. Or not shall we say.

I've driven my navistar for 8+ hours with no issues. Drive my base level reg cab pickup with less gvwr than GFAWR of navistar, I need 6 tablets of ibuprofen at the end of the day, and a trip to chiropractor! Even my spouses ML320 is worst than Navistar. Altho the MB Sprinter at work, not sure how positive to say it is from a seat comfort level. Been in it 12 hours and 450 miles in a day, still feeling good at the end!

ALtho I do admit, some rigs suspension is worst than others from a bounce standpoint. BUT, seats are the key. They fit, or they do not fit ones butt!

Marty

X2!
As someone with back problems, when I shop for a truck, 10 way adjustable bucket is mandatory and even then the cushion has to be comfortable.
I test drove '16 Silverado 3500 and the bucket seat is no where near as comfortable as my '09. Silverado, off the list.

blt2ski
I'll vote with the seat part of equation. THAT is the key to having back issues. Or not shall we say.

I've driven my navistar for 8+ hours with no issues. Drive my base level reg cab pickup with less gvwr than GFAWR of navistar, I need 6 tablets of ibuprofen at the end of the day, and a trip to chiropractor! Even my spouses ML320 is worst than Navistar. Altho the MB Sprinter at work, not sure how positive to say it is from a seat comfort level. Been in it 12 hours and 450 miles in a day, still feeling good at the end!

ALtho I do admit, some rigs suspension is worst than others from a bounce standpoint. BUT, seats are the key. They fit, or they do not fit ones butt!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Sounds like you changed your position on the ride quality... "

Please explain.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD