cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Eagle cap 960 falling apart?

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer

So this morning when I walked into the camper the floor had an awful creak in it that wasn't there previously. I looked underneath and I find one screw has worked it's way completely out and the others are about 1/3 of the way out the whole length of the camper floor! I've contacted EC to see what they have to say but I'm not too happy. Just bought the camper brand new in Feb. Has about 6k miles on it, been down some FS roads but this seems unacceptable....should this be expected? (god i hope not).
here's a higher res version of the image https://goo.gl/photos/gEp2m9UpvbHFZEUz5
56 REPLIES 56

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
adambeck7 wrote:

. . . I've contacted EC to see what they have to say but I'm not too happy. . .

Thats it? That's all you've done?
Did you go to the dealer first? What happened?
Who did you speak with at ALP? What was their response?
Where is this issue in the repair process?

So you bad mouth the manufacturer first? Without detailing the steps that you should have taken to resolve that issue?

Too many questions?
We've followed ONE complaint with ONE Eagle Cap camper on the EC owners forum and it was totally resolved.

As for a dealer dropping the Eagle Cap line - yes, Baydo RV in Tacoma dropped the Eagle Cap line.
But not for lack of quality which is so wrongly inferred by a previous post.

I spoke with Baydos RV about why they don't carry Eagle Cap and it's all about PROFIT MARGIN for the dealer.
They want a CHEAPER camper so they can rake you the buyer good.

I think your post is disingenuous at best and disrespectful to readers.
Even the space shuttles blew up. Its a truck camper. . .and you've done nothing but bad mouth the brand?
Some readers may buy your line, but I don't.

Actually no that's not all that I've done. The camper is sitting at the dealer for the FIFTH time since we bought it (at the end of February). Brad at ALP said to take it to the dealer, which I did. I understand he can't offer a lot on the word of someone emailing him. The camper has been sitting at the dealer for 6 days now and no word on what the fix is nor how long it will take to fix it. Am I a little frustrated? Hell yes I am and given what I've been through I'd say I have every right to be. It's 60 miles round trip to the dealer so each time something breaks that's 120 extra miles I put on the truck. So because my brand new camper is falling apart I'm out 600 miles of fuel. I'm also out hundreds of dollars worth of food because each time the dealer told us the fridge was fixed, it wasn't. I'm also probably going to miss our week long thanksgiving trip we had planned so I am pissed.

But I've been to the dealer and I've contacted Eagle Cap and I still have a broken camper sitting in the dealers lot.... I've also received loads of helpful advice on this forum which is why I posted. Maybe there was a fix for this or maybe others had the same thing happen and could offer some input.

I didn't get on here just bad mouthing them. I posted asking if this was to be expected and as you can see I have worked to get my issues resolved not just sit on the internet and piss and moan.

So please, tell me how I'm being disingenuous. Are you saying that a brand new camper should have a refrigerator that doesn't work after 4 attempts at fixing it and screws falling out of the basement? There are other issues we've had with it that I haven't detailed here, I can send them to you in a private message so I don't continue to "bad mouth the manufacturer" I'm sorry but for $40,000 I expect it to hold together for at least a few years.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
adambeck7 wrote:

. . . I've contacted EC to see what they have to say but I'm not too happy. . .

Thats it? That's all you've done?
Did you go to the dealer first? What happened?
Who did you speak with at ALP? What was their response?
Where is this issue in the repair process?

So you bad mouth the manufacturer first? Without detailing the steps that you should have taken to resolve that issue?

Too many questions?
We've followed ONE complaint with ONE Eagle Cap camper on the EC owners forum and it was totally resolved.

As for a dealer dropping the Eagle Cap line - yes, Baydo RV in Tacoma dropped the Eagle Cap line.
But not for lack of quality which is so wrongly inferred by a previous post.

I spoke with Baydos RV about why they don't carry Eagle Cap and it's all about PROFIT MARGIN for the dealer.
They want a CHEAPER camper so they can rake you the buyer good.

I think your post is disingenuous at best and disrespectful to readers.
Even the space shuttles blew up. Its a truck camper. . .and you've done nothing but bad mouth the brand?
Some readers may buy your line, but I don't.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
adambeck7 wrote:
Screws backing out.

oh yeah that too. I cant tell you how many screws I had to finish for EC. A dozen or more I'd guess. All on the exterior of the camper, where they can let moisture in.
'06 X-cab Powerstroke Dually 4x4
'75 Ford Bronco Rockcrawler
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

rinkmom899
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up a new Host mammoth the end of September and spent 6 weeks in it. I have been very impressed with the quality. It is my third truck camper. It is by far the best one yet. I had a Palomino maverick and an Okanagan. My experience with customer service with Host has been outstanding. On our return trip we hit a low hanging tree branch and smashed the escape hatch. I called Host and spoke with one of the owners and he shipped me a new hatch the next day.

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
mike/kellie wrote:
Not to hijack the OP's complaint from page 1, but to Fish mojo...we live in the same community I think. If you're interested in seeing the Host Mammoth that's in the youtube video dated August 2014, it's mine. PM me and maybe we can work it out. I'm able to store it at my home plugged in.
I know there is a rant going on about somebody and their Host camper but we were treated fairly, and having it for a year now I know I can reach out to the factory for any support. Let me know-Mike

I'm sure your Mammoth is a great TC. Probably going to be bigger than I want.
Good to hear from actual users about Host quality and service. I shouldn't have brought it up without facts to base it on.

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
RICKIM wrote:
I wonder if quality control issues is one of the reasons B. Penny stopped carrying the EC line at his New Hampshire dealership.
Sad to hear of problems like this...good luck and keep us posted on
the outcome please.

Rick

EC's poor QC is one of the reasons why Bill P. stopped handling them.

Interesting, I did not know that. One thing I will give Bill P., I dont think he tolerates too much for too long.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

lincolnmatthews
Explorer
Explorer
Very sorry to hear of your issues with your EC. I almost a 015 EC 995 but because of the cost we decided to go with a Lance 1050S and have had 0 problems, I know they have there problems but were really happy with ours! Hope you get yours fixed!

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Fish mojo wrote:
I went shopping for new Lance TC's yesterday at two different dealers. The overall quality of materials was disappointing. The interior engineered wood looks cheap and the ends and edges are poor. Bathroom shower enclosures are flimsy ABS. Now hearing issues with the EC's is disappointing also. My old 08 AF 990 was a nice unit.

What is a decent camper manufacturer anymore who makes a slide out?

Im speaking strictly for myself. I could not be happier with my 2010 AF. Owned it over 5 years and never had to go back to the dealer for service. Just a few minor issues that I could easily handle myself. I also know that some of the more recent past years there were complaints with their quality. Lately though from what I have heard it appears that AF may be back on track. I follow the AF owners forum and thats where I got this info.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fish mojo wrote:
Host, I'm not sure on. I recall several older complaints about delamination, water intrusion, and lack of service.

I think you probably have Host confused with another brand.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not to hijack the OP's complaint from page 1, but to Fish mojo...we live in the same community I think. If you're interested in seeing the Host Mammoth that's in the youtube video dated August 2014, it's mine. PM me and maybe we can work it out. I'm able to store it at my home plugged in.
I know there is a rant going on about somebody and their Host camper but we were treated fairly, and having it for a year now I know I can reach out to the factory for any support. Let me know-Mike
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
My Arctic Fox has been trouble free, but I am looking at larger units that do not exist in their model line up. Have you looked at Host or are they too big for what you want?

AF will be one of the contenders. The new 996 looks intriguing, but have not seen one in person. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eqorVLl75c

Host, I'm not sure on. I recall several older complaints about delamination, water intrusion, and lack of service. Also, their new ones are priced high from what I can find.

Bedlam
My Arctic Fox has been trouble free, but I am looking at larger units that do not exist in their model line up. Have you looked at Host or are they too big for what you want?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Fish mojo wrote:
I went shopping for new Lance TC's yesterday at two different dealers. The overall quality of materials was disappointing. The interior engineered wood looks cheap and the ends and edges are poor. Bathroom shower enclosures are flimsy ABS. Now hearing issues with the EC's is disappointing also. My old 08 AF 990 was a nice unit.

Why not just buy another Arctic Fox?

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
RICKIM wrote:
I wonder if quality control issues is one of the reasons B. Penny stopped carrying the EC line at his New Hampshire dealership.
Sad to hear of problems like this...good luck and keep us posted on
the outcome please.

Rick

EC's poor QC is one of the reasons why Bill P. stopped handling them.

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer