cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early sound systems in vehicles

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remember riding in a '60's Mopar, that had a little record player that ran 45 rpm records. It was under the Mopar dash. I remember being surprised that the record didn't skip when the car hit bumps. This was a Chrysler Co. option, before the advent of car tape machines...like 8 tracks and cassette players.

Any other memories of early sound systems in vehicles ?
24 REPLIES 24

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Anyone remember after midnight and beaker street out of Little Rock on AM radio?
or the big gun.. Wolfman Jack on 50,000W Clear Channel XERB I think this was 150kw at the time. That's why the transmitter was (is) in Tijuana, Mex. that sucker was louder in the Midwest than LA
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
How about the adapters that allowed you to play cassette tapes in an 8 track player. I bought one in the early '80's from radio shack, because moms Oldsmobile 98 Regency Broughm was cramping my style
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anyone remember after midnight and beaker street out of Little Rock on AM radio?

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Note to N.C. Hauler , there was also a late nite clear channel station in Mexico on the Texas border , I forget its call sign . Also the Renfroe Valley Jamboree . My father drove a truck all thru the south and every summer in the early to mid fifties I rode with him . Lots of memories .

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anyone remember Craig Powerplay, they were hi-watt for the day. You could get them in cassette or 8-track. If memory is correct I think they were 32 watts rms x 2 .

This was before aftermarket amplifiers. Another high power was the Tenna amplified speakers 6 x 9's that had bass you could feel.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I have a sony am/fm/cd player in my DP from 2001. The radio all of a sudden stopped working. It is one that hooks up to a 10 cd changer. Want to replace it but I guess they don't make these anymore due to Bluetooth and Sirius and usb's. What is a good one din radio to replace it with.?
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
How about my 49 Ford F-100 , 6 volt . When you turned on the radio if it did not start you would bang it on the bottom to make the vibrator start . Daytona had no rock or roll channel but Jax had a Clear Channel , the Big Ape , WAPE . Prob about 1957 .

I could listen to the WAPE channel in WV late night!!, also WABC and Cousin Brucie AND WOWO Fort Wayne Indiana, all late night in WV,, (also Larry Glick, WBZ in Boston)...Was really cool to hear all the latest/greatest hits on these stations back in early to late 60's...( I found out years later, it was "skip" that made this possible as a Ham Operator follower.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about my 49 Ford F-100 , 6 volt . When you turned on the radio if it did not start you would bang it on the bottom to make the vibrator start . Daytona had no rock or roll channel but Jax had a Clear Channel , the Big Ape , WAPE . Prob about 1957 .

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
kellertx5er wrote:
8-track: Absolutely the worst idea ever for a recording medium. But, like most others in the 70s I had one in my car; even bought a recorder. Thank heaven for cassette tapes!
So was Avocado Green Shag carpeting, but that was the fad of the day, and 8 track was cutting edge at the time. BTW- Neru collars and Bell Bottoms are on the way back....

" BTW- Neru collars and Bell Bottoms are on the way back"....Some things shouldn't be allowed to come back:B

As a teen ager, seeing as how I'd never heard a cassette, CD player or music on a memory stick....only AM and little to no FM stereo..the 8 track music sounded awesome to about everyone I knew..as stated..top technology back in those days..
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
kellertx5er wrote:
8-track: Absolutely the worst idea ever for a recording medium. But, like most others in the 70s I had one in my car; even bought a recorder. Thank heaven for cassette tapes!
So was Avocado Green Shag carpeting, but that was the fad of the day, and 8 track was cutting edge at the time. BTW- Neru collars and Bell Bottoms are on the way back....
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Had a buddy whose dad had the record player in his Chrysler..it was AWESOME!! (back then)..
I had a 62 Nova in 67' that we put an 8 track in with 2 speakers, I sure thought it sounded good then:)..AM radio before that, then some FM radio stations that broadcasted, in STEREO:C. Technology has come a L-O-N-G way, who knows what will be next? At almost 66...I think XM radio is great...can listen to 50's, 60's or 70's music for an entire trip..ahh..memories :B
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
AM radio that sort of picked up a couple channels. Mostly at night.

Sounds like we had the same radio. WOAI came in pretty good after dark.

Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
How many had a FM converter for their AM radio?

I saw plenty of them but never had one myself.
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
How many had a FM converter for their AM radio?
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I have been shopping for a new to me van... some of the ones I look at from early 2000s have cassette players :).

In the early 80s, we had a console stereo for the house that had a record player plus 8 track. I think we got if off the curb :). We used to get old 8 track tapes at garage sales for very cheap because no one wanted them! Heavy on the country music, but you could get crossovers like James Taylor.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.