cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easily removable bed covers?

SlideInDad
Explorer
Explorer
Been 5 years or so since I looked into this and never came up with a good option. Anything out there that can keep the elements out of your truck bed when not hauling TC but is easy enough to remove without disassembling the mounts? Would love a solution that doesn't require tools. Most soft covers close in the width of the rails which I can't do with the Lance on the GMC, barely enough room as it is, TC is a tight fit.

Doesn't have to lock or anything fancy.
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax CC - 2006 Lance 861
SuperSprings/Airlift/Bilstein 5100/TowBeast/Torklift tie downs
previous setup:
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW Duramax - 2003 Arctic Fox 1150 Dry Bath
12 REPLIES 12

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
towpro wrote:
I have a tri-fold tonno cover. you take cover out of box and lay it on bed with front aligned with front of bed. rotate down front clamps and tighten with hands. fold cover back to cover complete bed, fold down and tighten 2 rear clamps with hands. close tailgate and your done.

when you take it off it leaves nothing in or on bed. easy to take off. I have my tailgate leaning on a wall in corner of garage with blanket over it, than I lean the tonno cover on it for extra protection of tailgate.
mine was like $250.0 Sure there are better ones but its only on there a couple months out of year and most of that time my truck in garage anyway.

Here is one example

I have a soft tri fold cover very similar to this one. Don't remember the brand now, might be an extang. No tools, on and off in a minute. Has been on the truck most of 10 years now and still in good shape. Gone through several good winters.
Most snow it's seen is about 3' of champagne powder overnight. Held up to that and numerous other snowfalls.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem and this is my solution: Hard Tri-fold Tonneau.

There is no frame clamped to the truck. It takes me less than 60 seconds to undue the front thumb screws and pick it up and walk away with it. When I use my truck bed tent. I take it off and slide it under my truck. When I go to leave toss it back on, it only takes a few minutes to get it lined back up.

I'll post some pics if I can find a good one.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
I have a X-tang and it rolls up and you just turn two thumb screws and lift it off, the side rials stay on and aren't in the way
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Bakflip G2 on my last pickup, decent cover that kept things secure, but it wasn't water tight. Still needed to bag luggage and such to keep stuff dry. It came out without tools, but the side tracks remain, which I don't believe would be a problem for loading/unloading a TC. I have the camper loaded up so much nowadays that I've put off purchasing another cover. Also, the $1,000 price tag is tough to justify for "occasional" use.

Bakflip
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tri fold on my truck bed. It can hold up to 2 feet of snow. Probably more, but that's all I've ever had on it. Fun to drive away, make a hard left or right turn and see it all slide off. Ha!

Like it was said; easy clamp on and off with cam-style tensioning. Fits perfect. light and easy for one person to put on or store away. Mine is over 10 years old, stored out doors and still looks as good as new.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I have a retrax roll-up, it's not tool less but only 4 clamps and with it closed and rolled into the canister it is balanced quite well so I can just lift it out of the bed and it leaves no trace. I can remove or add it in about 5 minutes.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
towpro wrote:
I have a tri-fold tonno cover. you take cover out of box and lay it on bed with front aligned with front of bed. rotate down front clamps and tighten with hands. fold cover back to cover complete bed, fold down and tighten 2 rear clamps with hands. close tailgate and your done.

when you take it off it leaves nothing in or on bed. easy to take off. I have my tailgate leaning on a wall in corner of garage with blanket over it, than I lean the tonno cover on it for extra protection of tailgate.
mine was like $250.0 Sure there are better ones but its only on there a couple months out of year and most of that time my truck in garage anyway.

Here is one example

X2 on the tonnopro.
We've had one on our Dodge PU for 3 years now and 3 winters in Northern Minnesota. We get lots of snow, but I brush it off whenever it gets a build up of more than an couple of inches. Have not had a problem with any sag.

As towpro said, it fastens at the front of the bed with just two hand-turn knobs (one on each side) and at the rear with two folding latches. I've taken it off by myself and carried it to the garage when I need full use of the open bed.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
it has a pretty good frame work under it, never had one fold up in snow. But its vinyl covering, so you have to be careful bushing snow off it. best part is unlike a snap on cover, if you open this in winter, you can still get it back on.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

thedavidzoo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used to have an Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover. We loved its simplicity. Effective. Easy on and off. Held up awesome.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a Torza Top trifold, but the TC is on most of the time. It doesn't require tools, an there is nothing on the truck when it is removed.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

SlideInDad
Explorer
Explorer
That does look simple. How does it hold up snow? Does it sag much? Do you have to clear it right aay?
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax CC - 2006 Lance 861
SuperSprings/Airlift/Bilstein 5100/TowBeast/Torklift tie downs
previous setup:
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW Duramax - 2003 Arctic Fox 1150 Dry Bath

towpro
Explorer
Explorer

Here is one example
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.