cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engine flush

Thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
would it hurt to do an engine flush on my Chevy 6.0 ? I have run Mobil One since 20k. I noticed my lifters are a little noisier now that it has 210,000 miles. I am due for an oil change and was considering Seafoam or possibly the old timers way of adding some kerosene ad letting it idle for 10-15 minutes. Or should I just change the oil ?
Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.
28 REPLIES 28

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Rare cases where an engine flush may be necessary, but typically the culmination of a lot of poor maintenance.
Usually engine flush = wallet flush.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
packnrat wrote:
there is a term called stickshun. ( spelling?) a mix of sticky and suck.
i do not know about moble one, is there any cleaners in it?
best to change out oil even 4K miles. and filters every 2K.
filters get part pluged up and a by- pass valve opens up, thus no filtering.
in my diesels i run a " additave" in the fuel. ( need to help clean out the corn oil they water down the fuel with). never in the oil.
lifter problems might require new ones? or clean out the old ones. it is a varnise bulid up in them.

.O and someone said pull a head to fix a lifter???? the lifter side on the cam not in the clyinders. no need to pull a head to do this. not sure what your motor is like but most can be accessed by removing the valve cover.

if an oil filter is plugged and bypassing at 2K, even 4K or 10K miles, that's an indication there is a MAJOR problem. changing filters isn't the solution.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
packnrat wrote:
in my diesels i run a " additave" in the fuel. ( need to help clean out the corn oil they water down the fuel with). never in the oil.
lifter problems might require new ones? or clean out the old ones. it is a varnise bulid up in them.

.O and someone said pull a head to fix a lifter???? the lifter side on the cam not in the clyinders. no need to pull a head to do this. not sure what your motor is like but most can be accessed by removing the valve cover.
Stiction is actually stick/friction, and is a coined phrase to describe the momentary friction that causes something like a seal to stick to a tube before the momentary friction is overcome.

Changing oil at 4,000 miles and filters at 2,000 miles is a waste of money and resources. Your choice, but it's wasting money and oil.

Yes, you need to pull the head to fix the lifters. What you're thinking about is the "pushrods and rocker arms". The hydraulic lifters run directly on the camshaft and transfer the lifting force to the valve via the pushrods and rocker arms.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do an engine flush whenever I buy a used vehicle, especially one with high miles. I use the product designed for the purpose, and follow the directions on the bottle. If I knew the history and I had owned it since new it might not be as necessary, but the way some people neglect to change oil it gives me peace of mind for $10 knowing I cleaned out some gunk.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
to see "IF" engine is slugged ,,, remove valve cover...

some oil filters... do not flow well.. reducing oil flow. for better filtering.

do not clean inside engine unless its NEEDED...

after 75,000 miles go up in oil weight... if 5w20 to 10w30.. etc ONE and ONE.

cleaners are not a fix.... just a band-aid

a proper running engine with today's good oil. should not get nasty inside PERIOD.

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
It’s possible you are hearing piston slap which is very common for that vintage motor.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
lawrosa wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
If you have run Mobil one and changed every 5 to 6k I would be willing to bet your motor is quite clean. I bought a high mileage vehicle with a 5.4 with known narrow oil passages. My mechanic said you can do more harm flushing then going to benefit.

lifters are a little noisier now that it has 210,000 miles.

He most likely has a collapsed lifter...

Its not going to go away with just an oil change..

If engine flush of ATF dont work, then pull the valve cover, find collapsed lifter. Pull rocker for that lifter and spray cb blaster down push rod to lifter.

Reassemble and see if that works..

Otherwise you need to pull head to replace lifters...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQNAvoQ4-T8

The previous vid I posted shows that process..

Its a GM thing... Fords also have their issues with thier cam phasers and such.
You're correct I'm not aware of GM issues.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
If you have run Mobil one and changed every 5 to 6k I would be willing to bet your motor is quite clean. I bought a high mileage vehicle with a 5.4 with known narrow oil passages. My mechanic said you can do more harm flushing then going to benefit.

lifters are a little noisier now that it has 210,000 miles.

He most likely has a collapsed lifter...

Its not going to go away with just an oil change..

If engine flush of ATF dont work, then pull the valve cover, find collapsed lifter. Pull rocker for that lifter and spray cb blaster down push rod to lifter.

Reassemble and see if that works..

Otherwise you need to pull head to replace lifters...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQNAvoQ4-T8

The previous vid I posted shows that process..

Its a GM thing... Fords also have their issues with thier cam phasers and such.
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've mentioned before, but I used to have a SUV with the GM 3.2 V6. This iteration of the engine had very small oil drainback holes. When there was a little carbon buildup on the holes, it didn't allow oil to drain quick enough and would burn oil. It would burn about a quart every 3000 miles.

Found a forum that suggested Seafoam to clean the carbon buildup on the drains. I'll be darned if it didn't work great. It cleaned the engine, solved my oil burning issues.

Granted, my engine had 70K miles... not 210K miles. I'd be awful nervous about causing bigger issues...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion is that if you need a motor flush because of crud buildup, a motor flush can do more damage than good. loosening the stuff quick can then plug other passages and the oil filter.

You'd be better off doing a few short oil changes with a high quality synthetic oil with lots of detergents to slowly release and hold anything.

but if you've done good maintenance, current oils will keep the inside of an engine and it's passages very clean. maybe a slight thin varnish film, but nothing else inside.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:
Not a believer in additives - but in my Audi mechanic suggested adding some Magic Mystery Oil and sure enough it quieted down. Go figure.

Marval mystery oil is just trans fluid AFAIK..

You can do the same as I suggested with a quart of trans fluid.

After you do it and see how dark the oil comes out you'll know it worked to desludge the motor and clean those lifter ports...

Just my opinion though and what I use and believe.

I wouldn't do the kerosene one though ..

I belive motor flushes are the same thing... Just tranny fluid in a bottle with a motor flush label...

Marvel mystery oil is NOT ATF. the Msds lists naptha as the primary ingredient (80%) along with mineral spirts (15%) and other hydrocarbons.

quite a way from ATF.

But marvel mystery oil, seafoam etc. are similar, mostly naptha which is a good solvent.

Now I'd guess most motor flushes as you say are similar to marvel mystery oil, naptha and mineral spirts, but not ATF

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
Not a believer in additives - but in my Audi mechanic suggested adding some Magic Mystery Oil and sure enough it quieted down. Go figure.

Marval mystery oil is just trans fluid AFAIK..

You can do the same as I suggested with a quart of trans fluid.

After you do it and see how dark the oil comes out you'll know it worked to desludge the motor and clean those lifter ports...

Just my opinion though and what I use and believe.

I wouldn't do the kerosene one though ..

I belive motor flushes are the same thing... Just tranny fluid in a bottle with a motor flush label...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh