cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

equal-i-zer and backing up

1kennyOG
Explorer
Explorer
Do you guys back up and take your equalizer to 90 degrees? the only time I did this 5 years ago one bar popped off.

I still consider myself a novice at parking my TT in a tight spot in the bush. (not a cement pad guy)

Thanks
20 REPLIES 20

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
If I can read the weight sticker on the side of the TT, I know I've turned the angle too far. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I never remove the bars on my Equalizer when backing up, even in sharp turns.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

sourdough2224
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with geotext

I can't imagine why I would get into a position of being at 90 degrees but if I did I would just pull the bars and start watching for truck/trailer contact. As was said, you have to think about the tremendous strains you are putting on all the components when you are essentially trying to push the trailer sideways.....from the nose.

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I've always taken the bars pressure off and back up without a problem. That's in the past now because I now have to get a pull through because I can't back in with only one arm to use. Either way, practice, practice, practice.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
What ever angle you can go forward with you can also go backwards with.
The geometry doesn't change when backing up.
BTW, I have never unhooked to back.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
When you find you are at 90 degrees, you should have made corrections long before that.

Agree...even with no weight distribution hitch (just on the ball), backing at 90 degrees is not a good idea...
Pull forward, re-adjust, wiggle.....get a slightly better angle.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I've only found one instance where I need to remove the bars first.

When backing into a parking spot where the level part puts the truck on an uphill slope. Such as alongside a lake shore.

That puts the rig in a position that getting it basically level front to back for removing or installing the bars can lift the rear truck wheels off the ground.

Never had any issues concerning the turn angle, but I never go close to 90 degrees. Too much side pressure on the axles/ tires.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Backed mine up close to 90 degrees a number of times and never had an issue.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
IIRC I was told to remove the bars when backing up.
bumpy

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
It sounds like your L brackets are too far back on the tongue. I know I can't get to 90 without the trailer contacting the tow vehicle. But when I do have it back that far the bars are still about 3 inches from falling off the L bracket.

Maybe take a tape measure and make sure the L brackets are between 27 - 32 inches from the tip of the tongue. If they are at 32 try moving them closer to the ball by an inch or so.

I agree with opnspaces, the bars are mis-adjusted. Check the L brackets for measurement. As others have said, getting into that tight of turn requires that you re-position the vehicle, but that being said, I too have had my trailers into tight spaces and been close to 90* in trying to get them backed up so I could turn around, and the bars never came off. After you re-adjust the L brackets, swivel the head in both directions to at least 90* to make sure they will not come off again.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

1kennyOG
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. I have always wiggled my way in. I'm never in a hurry. That's why I asked. If 90 is a bad idea then I will continue to stay clear of it.

ALL replies are helpful here guys...Thank You.

geotex1
Explorer
Explorer
I run an Equal-i-zer and if you pop the bar free anywhere in its range of motion, then you should check to see if you mounted the brackets too far from the coupler. Personally, I am from the camp where need to have that kind of extreme pinch should not exist when negotiating into a site. You can (and should IMO) work the trailer in-place with more, gradual moves. I say this because think about how you are loading the axles (and worse, the China bombs) when you push the tongue that way. However, to each their own.

With any WD setup, such angles will put considerable unbalanced stress in the A-frame and it's especially true with the Equal-i-zer because of the design. I have seen a few damage their L-bracket and/or L-pins under two scenarios: 1) turns just as you are asking about because note the stress the spring bar "inside" that angle exerts on everything, and 2) backing a trailer up a decent incline while the TV remains fairly level. The design can only handle so much rotation in that direction. So, where the Equal-i-zer design is concerned, I personally do feel there are times when you should pull the bars for backing.

I'm going on 15 years running an Equal-i-zer, and I can pretty much judge unconsciously when I need to pop the bars and when I don't. I've run a lot of style of WDH over the years, and I'll never run anything other than an Equal-i-zer when ball towing again!

1kennyOG
Explorer
Explorer
that's what i thought till my buddy did in 2 minutes what took me 10 and he had his at 90 then pulled forward then back 6" and was done.

Tom/Barb wrote:
When you find you are at 90 degrees, you should have made corrections long before that.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.