cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Equal-i-zer lubrication

RonRN18
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to owning a trailer and I have an Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch. I see they say to only use their brand of lubricant on the hitch. I can not find ANY store locally that has even heard of their brand of lubricant. I've heard different answers as to what else I can use. I've heard white lithium grease and I've heard DRY silicone spray. My gut tells me that white lithium grease would be good. On my first outing, I didn't have any lubricant and it was VERY loud. I ordered some Equal-i-zer brand lubricant which arrives while I'm out on my next trip. Anyone else out there have an Equal-i-zer WDS hitch? What do you use?
2016 Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew FX4 with 5.0L V8
2019 Mesa Ridge 2410RL travel trailer
35 REPLIES 35

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
librty02 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
librty02 wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
Hondavalk wrote:
Looks like a Bingo to me. From the manual:
"In some cases the friction on the L-brackets can generate noise. Lubricating this joint is not recommended."

L bracket sway jackets are the company's response to excessive noise, particularly during low speed turns, and as such acts as a "lubricant". The point is rather moot anyway as the company itself says on it's own website -

"Use of the Sway Bracket Jackets does slightly reduce the amount of friction sway control provided by the L-bracket assemblies. However, this reduction is minimal, and in most applications barely noticeable because the majority of the Original Equalizer Hitchโ€™s integrated sway control comes from the rotational friction surfaces of the spring arm sockets in the hitch head. This sway control is not affected at all by the use of the Sway Bracket Jackets. The L-brackets will still provide a certain measure of sway dampening friction."

In other words lubricating the L brackets will have little effect on reducing sway control. I myself for years used a dry film spray lubricant on my own Equal-i-zer, sockets and L brackets, with great results - significant reduction noise, no noticeable reduction of sway control because most of it occurs at the head sockets. :B

"Use of the Sway Bracket Jackets does slightly reduce the amount of friction sway control provided by the L-bracket assemblies. However, this reduction is minimal, and in most applications barely noticeable because the majority of the Original Equalizer Hitchโ€™s integrated sway control comes from the rotational friction surfaces of the spring arm sockets in the hitch head. This sway control is not affected at all by the use of the Sway Bracket Jackets. The L-brackets will still provide a certain measure of sway dampening friction."

My take and what the company is telling us is yes most of the hitch head reduces sway but not all...the other is taken up by the L brackets...That jacket is not lubricant...That jacket does reduce the amount of friction sway control as stated above. They also state they do not recommend to lubricate the joint.

So the hitch is noisy to do its job. People complained about the noise. The company then creates this jacket to quiet it down to keep sales up admitting it does lessen the control of sway.

I as an owner will never use the jacket nor lubricate the L brackets as per manufacturers recommendation as that is not the initial way it was engineered in its entirety to control sway...
I am now on my 3rd EQUALIZER. I have had a 10K, 12K and now a 14K. The first two were without the bracket jackets, as it wasn't around then.

My present one has them. It IS an improvement. There is no noticeable reduction in sway control.

Many things we take for granted are now different than they were originally designed.
It is called progress. Without it, we would still be driving model Ts

Today's vehicles cost a lot more than that model T because of years of progression in engineering.

Umm. we make a LOT more than we did in the model T days.... As a percentage of income, The price of an automobile can be less than it was back then.... Of course there are many more choices than those days,and that can drive the costup.... But expensive cars were made back then as well.

As for the price not including the bracket jackets... I think of it as an option. Cars nowadays have many options available.
Not everyone chooses to purchase them. The same is true of the EQUALIZER.
The jackets are cheap. They work well. IMO, they are a good investment.

As always, your money, your choice.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:
I am an Equalizer fan and have had two over the last 16 years or so. I lube mine up and use white lithium grease on the head AND on the L brackets. I only put a "small" amount of grease on the head and even less on the L brackets.

As previously pointed out, the main anti sway resistance comes from the head and yet Equalizer says it is OK to grease these surfaces! They say that applying grease to the L brackets "is not recommended." If this was a bad idea, why wouldn't they say "Do NOT grease the L brackets"? I figure adding the pads is not a lot different from putting a skim coat of grease on them.

I am speaking from my experience. My hitch is pretty quiet and has been all of the years I have used it. It always confuses me when people post that they got rid of their Equalizer because they couldn't stand all the noise. You don't have to put up with the noise if you don't want to.
All good points.
I just prefer the bracket jackets... Mainly because the bars stay clean. The less grease around camp to get on things ,the happier DW, and I are.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am an Equalizer fan and have had two over the last 16 years or so. I lube mine up and use white lithium grease on the head AND on the L brackets. I only put a "small" amount of grease on the head and even less on the L brackets.

As previously pointed out, the main anti sway resistance comes from the head and yet Equalizer says it is OK to grease these surfaces! They say that applying grease to the L brackets "is not recommended." If this was a bad idea, why wouldn't they say "Do NOT grease the L brackets"? I figure adding the pads is not a lot different from putting a skim coat of grease on them.

I am speaking from my experience. My hitch is pretty quiet and has been all of the years I have used it. It always confuses me when people post that they got rid of their Equalizer because they couldn't stand all the noise. You don't have to put up with the noise if you don't want to.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hannibal wrote:
... Iโ€™d bet very few people ever check or even know what their socket bolts are torqued to.

You would lose that bet with me. Checking torque on my lugs and hitch is part of my routine maintenance checklist. Rather than rely on memory or digging out the manual every time, all the torque specs are on my phone notepad app.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
Iโ€™d bet very few people ever check or even know what their socket bolts are torqued to.

I'd agree, I found that when torqued to the recommended 60 ft-lbs I could still move the spring arms but it definitely took some effort, any less and they were too loose.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Not letting an endless argument go to waste, the friction of the sockets is adjustable. The book recommends 60ft/lbs on the bolts if I recall correctly. I run mine at 45 ft/lbs to free it up a little. But then again, I towed our tt for a year with no sway control and no sway. Iโ€™d bet very few people ever check or even know what their socket bolts are torqued to.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
librty02 wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
Hondavalk wrote:
"In some cases the friction on the L-brackets can generate noise. Lubricating this joint is not recommended."

L bracket sway jackets are the company's response to excessive noise, particularly during low speed turns, and as such acts as a "lubricant". The point is rather moot anyway as the company itself says on it's own website -

In other words lubricating the L brackets will have little effect on reducing sway control. I myself for years used a dry film spray lubricant on my own Equal-i-zer, sockets and L brackets, with great results - significant reduction noise, no noticeable reduction of sway control because most of it occurs at the head sockets. :B

My take and what the company is telling us is yes most of the hitch head reduces sway but not all...the other is taken up by the L brackets...That jacket is not lubricant...That jacket does reduce the amount of friction sway control as stated above. They also state they do not recommend to lubricate the joint.

So the hitch is noisy to do its job. People complained about the noise. The company then creates this jacket to quiet it down to keep sales up admitting it does lessen the control of sway.

I as an owner will never use the jacket nor lubricate the L brackets as per manufacturers recommendation as that is not the initial way it was engineered in its entirety to control sway...
I am now on my 3rd EQUALIZER. I have had a 10K, 12K and now a 14K. The first two were without the bracket jackets, as it wasn't around then.

My present one has them. It IS an improvement. There is no noticeable reduction in sway control.

Many things we take for granted are now different than they were originally designed.

I also agree with you to a point as anything may be progress but usually when it comes to progress any other company would charge us for it and include it with the kit and call it a redesign or an additional improvement. Today's vehicles cost a lot more than that model T because of years of progression in engineering. In my mind a good analogy for comparison would be that all stock cars today would come from the factory making suspension noise and if you would like not to hear that noise we have this accessory we will sell you for XXX of dollars to stop the noise and with or without the noise the vehicle still has the exact same ride qualities.

This is just how I see it...but like I said above to each their own on how they want to use it.
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
librty02 wrote:

You're entirely entitled to use your Equal-i-zer as you see fit ... and so is everyone else. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I always chose to use a dry spray lubricant on the L brackets to minimize groaning while not noticeably reducing sway control. :B

I'm not arguing the point that people can't and won't do what they want I completely agree with you to each their own on how they use it and or anything else...

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
librty02 wrote:

You're entirely entitled to use your Equal-i-zer as you see fit ... and so is everyone else. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I always chose to use a dry spray lubricant on the L brackets to minimize groaning while not noticeably reducing sway control. :B

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
librty02 wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
Hondavalk wrote:

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Hondavalk wrote:

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
What am I getting from this thread is that there is no One Answer to rule them all.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
I lubricate the head sockets only, not the L brackets. I have the pads for the noise. I did not completely follow the instructions as I added an extra 8th washer to tilt the head more and Equalizer recommends seven total. BTW, I got the washers at Ace hardware and they have been in place for two years. I am very happy with how the hitch works. DOUBLE BINGO
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH