cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Essential tools to carry; pole saw.

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
Funny how subjects get brought up but this was one I would like to address here in the NW...I was talking to someone who wanted to travel off road...a bit deeper into our forests with a TC....I asked do you have saws?MMM...well I carry an electric chain saw; long extension cord (no gas) and a pole saw always...well I think it is obvious why...my genny can run my Pollan if I run into a fallen tree and my pole saw can take care of low branches..just tools of the trade. Comments?
76 REPLIES 76

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Or, the short version. City boys, stay in the RV parks and complain about the neighbors rope lights causing your camping experience to be diminished, and back country folks, be glad youโ€™re not camped next to the city boys.

I hate rope lights. LOL :B

The trees in this picture that I posed earlier were placed there over the trail by local environmentalists. :M

I hate them too. :B
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ No, itโ€™s just people talking around the subject and spinning the context so their opinion sounds more righteous than the next personโ€™s in line.
While possible that the โ€œcity campersโ€ have no concept of what the back country campers speak of, and think the BC campers are out filming the next Ax Men episode, itโ€™s not probable at all, since folks like you actually posted pictures for the reading comprehension challenged members.
Now, after being made to look a fool, the only other recourse besides admit that you were mistaken (which may already be known, there are plenty that will argue the Sky isnโ€™t blue simply for their own entertainment...), is to continue putting forth even more preposterous statements in an attempt to preserve ones self worth.

Or, the short version. City boys, stay in the RV parks and complain about the neighbors rope lights causing your camping experience to be diminished, and back country folks, be glad youโ€™re not camped next to the city boys.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I missed the post where someone thought it was wrong to remove a fallen tree from a road.
Kenny

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
stevenal wrote:
So far, this style of saw has served us well.

+100. I've done a lot of road rehab with mine.

And I carry one of these too for the bigger jobs.

No batteries or extra gas. The saws get recharged after use with this.

https://www.crownwineandspirits.com/jose-cuervo-golden-margarita-ready-to-drink-1-75l/

And speaking of cutting limbs and downed trees, it's part of boondocking. The USFS, BLM, and state forestry don't go out and clean up roads. It's ok for us to do it as users. We aren't clearcutting or logging.

The last thing I want to have happen is to drive some place and have a tree or branch fall across behind me that I cannot remove.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Not really sure why some of the posts about cutting a tree off a forest service road are getting taken out of context.

Cutting the tree out making the road passable again is better than blazing a trail around the downed tree, which causes resource damage.

And that happens alot from those that don't carry a chainsaw..That downed tree itself is a resource,firewood for you and whomever is just cruising the roads for easy firewood..It never last long but the ruts around,last forever..

I was down at the end of the road at the Whitewater ranch on the Salmon river hunting the skirts of the wilderness..A winding very steep road with sharp corners..Coming out there was a huge yellowpine(Ponderosa pine) that the wind knocked over across the road..Over 3 feet across and all I had was a 16" Stihl..I went all away around(360 degrees) with the 16" bar and it would not budge...I had to hook up a chain and jerk it to break it through, twice to get by..I now carry one of my larger saws when I can...

The point is always be prepared and have the tools with you to get you back home when things just happen..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
G-Dog wrote:
Love you too buddy! Wish we had a kissy lips emoji.

Oh My..That explains alot!Laffin

OK, back on point...essential tools to carry?..a pole saw was the original post. Why? I'm giving the info from my experiences..don't get caught off guard when you go deep off road... you need to be prepared. Carry all the saws you can, want to, or own...the road can have many obstacles in or out...it is that simple.

I agree with this 100%..The problem though on this forum not everyone heads out into the wild blues of the mountains on unmaintaned forest service roads..Anything can happen and usually does at some point and a truck camper is very limited in what you can carry extra,especially the new ones without access to the wheel wells...

There is the hitch extension I use alot when my UTV trailer is not in tow...The wheel wells are stuffed with the little extra's one might need to get out of a tight spot..Chains/straps/winches/axes/jacks/kitty litter/shovels and Mountain House foods when you just can't make it out..It happens..Had to walk out more than once usually from poor judgement or lack of equipment..

Oh well,with a TC it ain't that bad to be stuck way back in if your prepared..:)
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Its an open forum. Only the moderators can control the conversation.

There will always be a few that know everything and have something to say about every single comment whether they know what they're talking about or not.

This topic to me was done in general for all campers and I don't recall the OP "telling" people what to carry, only consider carrying things that have helped him out in his camping experiences.
Kenny

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, back on point...essential tools to carry?..a pole saw was the original post. Why? I'm giving the info from my experiences..don't get caught off guard when you go deep off road... you need to be prepared. Carry all the saws you can, want to, or own...the road can have many obstacles in or out...it is that simple. We do not talk politics...never. Not a good thing for anyone. Hello we are talking camping here...it should be a safe zone to educate and exchange experiences without what side your on. Politics is not what we do here.

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
True that... I expect it. Always a downer when you think you start a good educational thread and you get the trolls and naysayers. I have learned that you move on and if your info is true and on point...the truth wins out.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^True story.
And some great info in this thread despite the early onslaught by the wanna be environmentalists.

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I think for the most part we all come prepared, because we have been there...but like the first time for some, not all the experience is there. We all had to learn from someone who knows or from your own failures. That is why if a newbie was to come across a conversation like this, it would point out the importance of being prepared. Don't forget, people come here to learn something from us who have been doing this for years. Newcomers are looking for a learning curve and we should help them in their new journeys. I take this forum as a place where you can apply book smarts and take it strait to the forest, outback desert, where ever you may go as a new person looking for an adventure. You can't get a better education than the advice that most of us give here...pass it on.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Naio wrote:
Well I do carry pruning saws and loppers, not so much for camping purposes but for the work I do. And a bucket and a shovel. And a jigsaw and an inverter. I suppose if I had to I could cut a tree out of the way of the road.

The thing about being stuck somewhere is it brings out your creative side. I'm sure Buzzcut1 could claw his way through an 8-inch tree with his churchkey if he had to.

Whew! That would be tough, but clawing your way through a 24 pack of longnecks with that thing would ease the pain until the forest service showed up!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Buzzcut1 wrote:
this is my most essential camper tool, I would be lost without it

Here here!

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Naio wrote:
Plus you're a lot more likely to get some help with this imaginary tree if you have cold beer on hand.

I don't even drink, but now I'm thinking I should add beer to my tool kit for that reason.

I carry a bevy of Non Alcoholic beers with me. Been sober since 1981.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Plus you're a lot more likely to get some help with this imaginary tree if you have cold beer on hand.

I don't even drink, but now I'm thinking I should add beer to my tool kit for that reason.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.