cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eternabond in the shower?

scottykrug
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use eternabond tape in the shower or does anyone see problem with that use? We have a tub/shower combo and in certain places the caulk has let loose allowing water between the trim, sidewall, and the tub. The water then dribbles under the space for the tub enclosure. A bad design but I think I can put the tape over the seam between the wall and tub to seal it. The trim would then go over the tape. Ideally you should not even see the EB.

Thoughts?
2009 Ram 3500 Mega 6.7TD
2015 Puma Palomino 295BHSS
Copilot (DW) Navigator (DD) Flight Engineer (DS)
10 REPLIES 10

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Does it look like this:
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Suggest pics so we can see before cutting.
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

scottykrug
Explorer
Explorer
Would you suggest cutting away some of the wall that extends below the tub lip?
2009 Ram 3500 Mega 6.7TD

scottykrug
Explorer
Explorer
The wall panels go directly to the floor so that the tub lip cannot go under the paneling. I will take some pictures in the next few days showing the issue. The tub simply butts up to the wall and is sealed with silicone caulk.
2009 Ram 3500 Mega 6.7TD

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Westend has it bang on.I will only add that if the wall panels are sealed tight at the top and bottom it creates a perfect place for rot to start as the trapped condensation has no place to go or dry out.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I would bet that it isn't the tub to enclosure joint, the tub has a lip that is 1" high behind the enclosure. I'm also betting it isn't the enclosure joints or the enclosure to wall joint.

The water is probably getting underneath the tub because it rolls off the tub at the junction of the tub-->enclosure and follows the tub surface to the floor. Also, it could be that the valve set is not sealed but that is rare. Another leak point is the drain. I know a lot of folks suspect that the joint between the tub and enclosure is the problem because it isn't sealed. Actually it is designed that way so that any water or condensation on the enclosure back side exits beyond the tub lip.

If you're married to the Eternabond idea, clean everything it touches with silicone caulk remover and finally, lacquer thinner.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Mine came from factory with silicone around it. I added more after getting it home to prevent water getting behind it
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
scottykrug wrote:
In addition, I know I will have to re caulk in places, but I wager the same leak will form in the same spot in short order. Would use acetone to remove any trace of silicone where the EB would go.

Acetone won't remove all the silicone and EB won't stick to silicone residue. It's not trivial to remove all traces of silicone caulk.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
A picture would be worth a thousand words, but in my experience, I don't ever recall any tub/shower in an RV with any caulk at all used. May I'm not "mind viewing" what you are referring to. I'm sure others will help you out more, but I cannot imagine why any caulk, much less eternabond tape, would be necessary in a tub/shower if properly installed. Maybe you can post a view pictures?
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

scottykrug
Explorer
Explorer
In addition, I know I will have to re caulk in places, but I wager the same leak will form in the same spot in short order. Would use acetone to remove any trace of silicone where the EB would go.
2009 Ram 3500 Mega 6.7TD