cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EV alternative for light/medium duty trucks

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
So much wheel spinning on EVs, what if they are not the right path forward? The biggest problem with renewable power and EVs is storage, the second is storage, and the third is storage. Another path is carbon capture from the atmosphere (using amine scrubbing like nuclear subs and carbon dioxide from natural gas) then splitting hydrogen from water, followed by building whatever hydrocarbon you need.

The US Navy is hard at work on this project, since it avoids storage of large amounts of jet fuel, and the difficult job of resupply of jet fuel at sea to the carriers. After all fire kills ships. The Fords were built with a very large excess electric generation capacity for this reason and many others.

Porsche now has a pilot project running in South America, Porsche syn fuel

This will work wherever you have cheap electricity and water. The products are put right into refinery feeds. No need to rebuild the approximately 1.5 Billion cars in the world. Solves storage, no worry about hydrogen embrittlement, recycles carbon dioxide, we use the existing liquid fuel distribution system. Transparent to the car/truck owner.
452 REPLIES 452

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
map40 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Silverado now starts at 70,000

Trucks have become really expensive and unfortunatly I don't think we have any EV truck that can replace current ICEs for most cases.

Good morning.

Iโ€™ll agree with that to some degree. Most half tons are used in more of an SUV that can bring a few bags of soil home role. Or maybe just haul a utility trailer to the dump with a load of leaves etc. The upcoming crop of electric half tons seem to do this fine. And the second generation e-half tons will be a big jump over ford lightnings etc.

I do think the shape of half tons will have to change though. This boxy square approach with no aerodynamics will fade as their upcoming more aero designed competition will kick then to the curb.

Jmho.

A good point. A lot of trucks are really not used as trucks, so why should they be one. Like SUVs became more cars than trucks, trucks can be more efficient if their use as trucks is only going to be infrequent.
I still have my 2008 Chrysler Town & Country minivan that can haul as much as a truck but is much more efficient. And as I have a lifetime warranty bumper to bumper I will never get ride of it.
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I simply googled silverado and took the first price that popped up. The point I was trying to make is that 28,000 is now an imposibley low price for a new Silverado.
That is only because the market is messed up at the moment. With a base MSRP of 36K if/when the market returns to normal, a good deal could be 28K

Remember the days of getting invoice or below pricing? When I bought my 2020. I did not pay anywhere close to MSRP
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I simply googled silverado and took the first price that popped up. The point I was trying to make is that 28,000 is now an impossible low price for a new Silverado.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Danger Don wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

What?

He might have been talking about the electric silverado. I heard they are pricey although I havenโ€™t seen any pricing yet. Think they are out next yearโ€ฆbut not sure.

Danger_Don
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

What?

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
map40 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

Trucks have become really expensive and unfortunatly I don't think we have any EV truck that can replace current ICEs for most cases.

Good morning.

Iโ€™ll agree with that to some degree. Most half tons are used in more of an SUV that can bring a few bags of soil home role. Or maybe just haul a utility trailer to the dump with a load of leaves etc. The upcoming crop of electric half tons seem to do this fine. And the second generation e-half tons will be a big jump over ford lightnings etc.

I do think the shape of half tons will have to change though. This boxy square approach with no aerodynamics will fade as their upcoming more aero designed competition will kick then to the curb.

Jmho.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
map40 wrote:

Yet
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:

Random postโ€ฆ.but Iโ€™ll have whatever youโ€™re havinโ€ฆ.

Because if youโ€™re talkin loonies then more like $50k in real dollars which is also 1000% false.
Lots of new 1/2 tons priced in the $30s even some quad cab 4wd models.
Derp!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

map40
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

Alfa SeeYa

map40
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:

Dont care for any other EVs their quality just isnt there and never will be when CEO doesnt know what goes on down the line or hires incompetent enginers.

I agree with what you wrote except this. Tesla quality is knowned for being sub par on everything besides the EV components.
I have owned several EVs and modified/redesigned a ton of them and I can tell you that Teslas are neither the best quality nor the best design. The simply created the business. For example, BMW i3's have proven to have better quality than Tesla, and for some people (like me) is the perfect vehicle. Cheaper and more convenient than any other alternative, but of course, that is my case.
Alfa SeeYa

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Ford and GM's cash cow it is and will be big ICEs for quite some time. The both are retiring from the car market because the competition is too tough and they own the truck and SUVs markets (I am not saying they are the best, just saying that is where they make money).
EVs will most likely thrive in the car market but will never take it over 100% because the technology can't compete with ICEs in every case.
A company that sells close to $400M per day (Ford and GM do) has to invest in keeping their cash cow alive. Comparing the EV investment to a new ICE power platform is like comparing buying a scratch-off to investing in your 401K...
EVs are not the final solution, but has the potential of reducing oil dependency (you can generate electricity in a lot of different ways). That alone is enough to justify it's existence.
Alternative technologies will come, but I still believe that they will be successfully only when they are cheaper/more convenient than the existing technology.
Last week I saw the latest hybrid-hydraulic car, and they have been working on that for a decade. It works great, but so far is, like so many other technologies, just a possible future solution, much like hydrogen, CNG, and others
Alfa SeeYa

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^And that makes a world of sense. Because u know whose cars are apparently a combination of too expensive and not reliable enough? Lucid.
I happened to see 1 one uno Lucid in the recent past here in the land of organic granola EVs and yuppie status EVs. Havenโ€™t seen one in the wild ever before.
Today I passed the Lucid dealer for the first time ever. Absolutely FULL of new cars in the lot. Honda dealer across the road, 3/4 emptyโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
But get ready for hydrogen, ammonia and maybe fusion powered cars.
The best solutions may not even be on the drawing board yet.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
I don't think anyone assumes EV's are going away. However, I think a lot of people believe EV's are not going to be the panacea that some people assume they will be.

Last time I bought new Silverado I paid 23g.
Until Tesla lowers the price way more Im keepin my truck bit longer.

And judging by huge demand for Tesla even w their 4 giga factories going full speed it wont be any time soon.

Dont care for any other EVs their quality just isnt there and never will be when CEO doesnt know what goes on down the line or hires incompetent enginers.

https://youtu.be/0zjiMC2GT1M

Tesla sucess is bc Musk knows every detail of its cars production and isnt scared to get down to asembly line to improve things.

I remember people laughing at him sleeping in the factory.
Well look who is laughing now

https://youtu.be/9vFInzaFi6o

EV advantage is obvious,no stinky exhaust kiling and makin people sick but also lack of usual maintanance,oil changes etc.

Electric motor will last forever and bateries at least milion miles.
Ev motor is 99% eficient,and has only one moving part,
no ICEngine can come anywhere near that.

Cant stop progress and evolution,that simple.