cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EV's need gas too - Tow with a Tesla?

Had to laugh when a buddy sent me this pic.

Here's a Tesla on the side of the road somewhere, 2 gennys cranked, to charge his car so he can continue. And a big bucket of gas sitting there. Wow, isn't this fun?

Of course, we all know how environmentally friendly our generators are...:R

I wonder how long he sat there charging until he could go again...

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
51 REPLIES 51

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
toedtoes wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily trust the photo as being completely honest either. There have been other photos similar to this that have been staged...

True. For all we know they needed to stop to use the bathroom, make lunch, deal with an emergency at work.

While you're stopped, may as well make use of the "wasted" output of the generators to give the car a little more range.

These "generator recharging the electric car proves the technology will never ever succeed" memes are getting tiresome.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wouldn't necessarily trust the photo as being completely honest either. There have been other photos similar to this that have been staged...
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
This was taken on the Coquihala highway in BC. . The Coquihalla group have put a call out to people via their Facebook page to check their gas gauges as they are rescuing up to 8 people a day who are running out of gas on that route. It happens.

And for the record, and this is weird. The gennys are powering the trailer. The car is plugged into the side of the trailer. Kind of a weird way to do it.

The other weird thing is there is no shortage of charge opportunities on that highway. Iโ€™m thinking someone just wasnโ€™t paying attention.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Some take longer to learn than others. I speculate this driver will plan better in the future.
And I would have pulled further onto the shoulder to have a bit more distance from the moving traffic.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm certain this driver learned just like we did for gasoline cars. I'm impressed he/she was prepared for on the road charging.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Ignoring the snarkiness of the original post, I wonder if there is an opportunity to develop an emergency rapid charge battery pack for RSA's in cases like this. The more EV's that get on the road, the more we will see running out of range issues. I envision one of those large battery packs like they use for jump starts etc, sort of like a quick charger for your phone only sized for an EV. Or even EV to EV charging. I can share power with someone else's phone if they need it, why couldn't the same principal be leveraged for EV's? Someone assists an EV out of power and juices them enough to get to a station without the need of a gas generator. Battery to battery. Foldable emergency solar panel? Just spitballing.. but I smell an opportunity. You invent a portable emergency charging method for EV's and cash would fall over itself to get in your wallet.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Misjudging the remaining range when the needle is on "E" is not exclusive to electric vehicles, I'm afraid.

"Just put in fuel and go" can take HOURS waiting for someone to bring you some, especially if you don't happen to have roadside assistance.

In the meantime this fellow, or fellette, was able to start addressing the situation themselves immediately. By the time roadside assistance would have showed up, it's charged enough to make it to the next rest stop and charging station. 20 minutes later, they're back on the road.

Worst case scenario vs. worst case scenario. Fair is fair.

Keep that smug expression on your face long enough, it will stick that way.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.