cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ever heard of a camper slide off the back?

HVACfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Was exploring the Branson area and at some of the parking lots and at even some of the stoplights it's a steep climb from the lights. Has anyone ever heard or saw a truck camper tear the tie downs and slide off the back?
34 REPLIES 34

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I have seen a few. One is the Lance 1172.
Lance 1172

It's still in the truck.
Bob

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
When you consider the location of the jacks, a typical 2000 lb TC, and less than 1/3 of the TC is forward of the front jacks, it would be very difficult to convince me it could tip forward. The 2 people would have to weigh in excess of 1400 pounds or more. True, there are lighter TCs, but the two people would probably need to weigh more than 1000 lbs.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
SugarHillCTD wrote:
This seems to be in the same (dubious) category as an unloaded TC tipping forward when 2 people climb into the cabover bed.
This would be possible if the front jacks failed or sunk in the ground. I think extremely unlikely, but possible.

Without tie downs, I see the TC sliding out under the right circumstances. Are you suggesting we do not need tie downs?

Wayne

No I'm not. But in the past on this forum there has been mention of actually seeing a TC tip forward on undamaged, unsunken front jacks.

I was questioning if either situation has actually happened, therefore the dubious comment.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
d3500ram wrote:
If one were to have a camper behind and it were to be place on a very powerful pick- up like this one .

That is why some prefer BUS CONVERSIONS

I'd hope both would have rear kitchens. A side galley wouldn't cut it.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
d3500ram wrote:
If one were to have a camper behind and it were to be place on a very powerful pick- up like this one .

That is why some prefer BUS CONVERSIONS

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Heck you don't even need a powerful pickup if you "grease the pig" so to speak. Put the camper on a slick plastic bedliner, with no tiedowns.

People complain about their campers shifting around on here ALL THE TIME. If a camper can shift, it can sure shift enough to fall off the back of the truck.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
A TC sliding off the bed is entirely possible given the right conditions.

A lot of folks here lately have been asking about COG behind the rear axle. If one were to have a camper behind and it were to be place on a very powerful pick- up like this one then it is very possible to drop a camper on the road when say taking off from a stop light.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
SugarHillCTD wrote:
This seems to be in the same (dubious) category as an unloaded TC tipping forward when 2 people climb into the cabover bed.
This would be possible if the front jacks failed or sunk in the ground. I think extremely unlikely, but possible.

Without tie downs, I see the TC sliding out under the right circumstances. Are you suggesting we do not need tie downs?

Wayne

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Big_Rig1
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, the wonderful hills of Branson, been there many times. We have started out at those stoplights & parked in those parking lots on the side of the hill at the shows. I worry more about my parking brake holding than the camper coming off the truck. As long as you have a proper tiedown system I don't think you have any worries.
We will be down there again in December with the MidWest Truck Campers Christmas Rally. Our leader is an Ioweegan farmer. You are welcome to join us for a great time together with other like minded folks. Here is a linkMIDWEST TRUCK CAMPERS

Big Rig (John)
04.5 Dodge Quad,3500,CTD,DRW,4X2,48RE, Ranchos, Tatman Wedgies
2015 Arctic Fox 990, 100W solar, power rear awning, Fox Landing, no generator, no oven

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
This actually might be a good time to bring up this report again. Maybe even get it into the TC University AnEv? I couldn't find it there.

An Analysis of Restraining Requirements
for Truck-Mounted Slide-In Campers

(If it disappears, I can usually find it by googling the words magleby truck-camper.)

With lots of interest in the possibilities of what this thread implies can happen, new TC'ers coming along all the time and the OP indicating obvious concern in certain steep-road conditions, it's worth understanding the forces of gravity, friction and restriction as it relates to our campers. The falling out the back is what the report author calls the backward translation.

And the OP subject reminds me of the time I drove, with Dad in the passenger seat - and Mom, DW and two kids in the 12.5' camper on '73 F250 single cab, UP the steep roads to Boothill Cemetery in Deadwood. That ALMOST caused a divorce!

HVACfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a 1800 lb Sunlite to a 2800+ lb Bigfoot and thats a lot of camper back there. I do believe that the tie downs are more show than true load securing and if the camper decided to slide off there isn't much to stop it, but the tie downs keep it from breaking loose.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I think a molded fiberglass TC on a plastic bed liner is the most prone combination to slide around. With proper tie downs, not a serious problem, but just more likely to move.

I don't think most people understand the purpose of tie downs. They are to prevent movement of the TC due to vibrations, not to literally hold a 4,000 lb TC on a truck bed during a rollover. Think about it, if the forward motion of your truck could blow the 4.000 lb TC out of the bed of your truck, you could not leave the TC unloaded in a wind storm.

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm just glad the Space Station doesn't depend on a TC, even if it IS tied down. And that leads me to question some of those photos posted by whazoo.