cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exhaust Brake on a 12 valve Hot Rod Cummings, manual trans?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve been considering an Exhaust Brake for years while traveling with our big Lance 900 in our truck bed.

But now that I have sold that & Iโ€™m towing a heavier Travel Trailer & on our 1st outing probably drove around 2000 miles & Iโ€™ve sold off my other toys & plan to focus on my tow rig & want to start with an exhaust brake & maybe water/meth injection after that?

I was telling a co worker & he started asking about being I have mods bringing me to 500 HP.
If that might be an issue?

I canโ€™t imagine why it would cause problems?

But wonder if Iโ€™m wrong?

& then what might be my best bet for the best help on those long steep grades?

Donโ€™t want to be over heating my brakes.

I figured Iโ€™d mount the switch right under the shifter knob.
Iโ€™ve heard thereโ€™s even adjustable models & some with built in safetyโ€™s like in case I forget to turn off the brake I donโ€™t stall the truck while shifting?

Iโ€™ve heard of other options that would also turn it off when I accelerate.
& back when when I let off?

Iโ€™ve also heard of turbos that have them built in to it?

& would those work as well with out lowering my HP?

I also would mention , I have a 4โ€ straight pipe from the turbo.
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
23 REPLIES 23

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Blanco1 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Exh brake is bolt on for your truck. Air is handy for air bags and bike tires, etc.
if you're really at 500hp I'm surprised you don't have upgraded valve springs.
It's a great addition.

Who said i didn't?

Should have said Iโ€™d be surprised if you didnโ€™t.
So whaddaya got?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
HadEnough wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
ScottG wrote:
HadEnough wrote:
Hmm...not how my exhaust brake works on my 2002 12v Cummins ram that is also a hot rod.

I leave my shift switch on all the time for around town driving and lights too.

The exhaust brake only kicks in when you are off the throttle about 1-2 seconds and in gear. At all other times, it's in standby.

That's how they work.

Yes, that's how it works (with delay) if your able to connect to the trucks ECM.
Some older trucks dont have a ECM connection for the EB so switches have to be installed.

That is really interesting, 2002 should be a 24V with an ECM, and then the EB would have a 2 second delay before applying. If you have a 12V in your 2002 the 12V would be fully mechanical and not have an EMC to control the EB.
I chose to make mine fully manual so I have full control over activation, so as soon as my foot is off the throttle EB is working! Empty it will almost bring the truck to a full stop in 3rd.

That IS really interesting... Since I wrote 12v when I meant to write 24v. Lol. Sorry about that.

That's a cool setup making it fully manual. Have you ever had to replace the switch? I've been cautious of turning mine on and off a lot just so I don't need to replace the switch at the shift.

No never need to replace, did need once to spray with contact cleaner. This is the switch from PacBrake.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
ScottG wrote:
HadEnough wrote:
Hmm...not how my exhaust brake works on my 2002 12v Cummins ram that is also a hot rod.

The exhaust brake only kicks in when you are off the throttle about 1-2 seconds and in gear. At all other times, it's in standby.

That's how they work.

Yes, that's how it works (with delay) if your able to connect to the trucks ECM.
Some older trucks dont have a ECM connection for the EB so switches have to be installed.

That is really interesting, 2002 should be a 24V with an ECM, and then the EB would have a 2 second delay before applying. If you have a 12V in your 2002 the 12V would be fully mechanical and not have an EMC to control the EB.
I chose to make mine fully manual so I have full control over activation, so as soon as my foot is off the throttle EB is working! Empty it will almost bring the truck to a full stop in 3rd.

That IS really interesting... Since I wrote 12v when I meant to write 24v. Lol. Sorry about that.

That's a cool setup making it fully manual. Have you ever had to replace the switch? I've been cautious of turning mine on and off a lot just so I don't need to replace the switch at the shift.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
HadEnough wrote:

That's how they work.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
HadEnough wrote:

That's how they work.

You put a 12V in a 2002?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I always say "Cummings" is a place in GA.

I always say Cummings is an idiot from Maryland.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Blanco1 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
I would contact EB dealers/mfg with those questions. They can give you answers on current their EB for the 5.9 Cummins. Some of the diesel speed shops carries them and can be helpful for tech questions on your modded 5.9 Cummins.

My '03 Dodge Cummins/NV5600 came with the Jacobs through Dodge Businesslink dealers which gave me a Dodge warranty (long gone now). The EB switch is under the shifter knob. It works in all forward gears (even reverse). It stays on with the clutch in or out....has a hi idle/EB on for fast warm ups.
The Jacobs is vacuum operated so it has a vac inline mechanical pump with a long long belt. I've had no problems with mine for over 300k miles.

Vacuum vs air pressure. Most brands are are operated with a remote air pump which are handy for airing up other things.

Airing up other things like what?
It probably would not properly fill up the tire to the proper PSI would it?

That might be a good selling point to me?

That is the PacBrake bonus, on board air. Pacbrake has the option for shiftier mounted rocker switch, simple flick of a finger.

I've also been wanting to install a Big Rig air horn being it sounds like one already. LOL!
With '85 Lance.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Exh brake is bolt on for your truck. Air is handy for air bags and bike tires, etc.
It's a great addition.

Who said i didn't?
With '85 Lance.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
HadEnough wrote:

That's how they work.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Blanco1 wrote:
ScottG wrote:

(BTW, it's a "Cummins")

Darn spell check on my phone!

Of course I know this I've owned this truck about 7 years?

I always say "Cummings" is a place in GA.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer

That's how they work.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago, I had a 1994 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD with the Jacobs Rambrake on it. I towed a 32 foot triple slide fifth wheel with that truck, over the Continental Divide, the Cascades, and the Sierras. That Rambrake was the greatest thing since sliced bread on the downgrades! It was hooked up in the normal truck vacuum system, and the vacuum actuator worked great, never a problem. The on/off switch was mounted on the dash. That was not a problem since I turned it on and left it on nearly all the time. the throttle switch controlled when the brake actuated; only at the idle position. As soon as the throttle was advanced, the brake shut off.
I wish I had the exhaust brake on my current truck, but the budget won't handle it. Maybe if we get rid of the motorhome and get a travel trailer of some kind...
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Blanco1 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
I would contact EB dealers/mfg with those questions. They can give you answers on current their EB for the 5.9 Cummins. Some of the diesel speed shops carries them and can be helpful for tech questions on your modded 5.9 Cummins.

My '03 Dodge Cummins/NV5600 came with the Jacobs through Dodge Businesslink dealers which gave me a Dodge warranty (long gone now). The EB switch is under the shifter knob. It works in all forward gears (even reverse). It stays on with the clutch in or out....has a hi idle/EB on for fast warm ups.
The Jacobs is vacuum operated so it has a vac inline mechanical pump with a long long belt. I've had no problems with mine for over 300k miles.

Vacuum vs air pressure. Most brands are are operated with a remote air pump which are handy for airing up other things.

Airing up other things like what?
It probably would not properly fill up the tire to the proper PSI would it?

That might be a good selling point to me?

That is the PacBrake bonus, on board air. Pacbrake has the option for shiftier mounted rocker switch, simple flick of a finger.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
It's a great addition.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold