cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

External fuel tank mounted in bed - thoughts??

PAAK
Explorer
Explorer
Have been thinking about adding an external fuel tank in the bed so that I can go longer distances and not to worry about stopping for fuel as much. Also, we all know fuel prices go up around tourist destinations. Has anyone got the tank installed? Has it been an issue with weight?
2011 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel
2011 Creek Side 23RKS
23 REPLIES 23

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have enough range on my Diesel truck but my gassier truck is another story. Can only run 200 miles. It would be nice to have another 30 gallons for the truck and for the generator instead of carrying gas can.

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Used to have a 50 gallon in bed tank with electric pump. Sold that truck. Will be getting another in bed tank for my new truck.

For me it had nothing to do with money. They aren't cheap and it'll take years to recover the cost with fuel costs. It was all about convenience and range of travel. Security of not being without fuel. And the ability to help a few folks out when they ran dry.

The weight is huge. Diesel weighs about 8 lbs per gallon. Do the math. Don't forget to add in the weight of the tank. I was just over 500 lbs. That's a lot of payload capacity taken away.

Also don't forget to keep a fuel stabilizer in it, rotate it out every now and again, and keep that tank full when possible

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
PAAK wrote:
Have been thinking about adding an external fuel tank in the bed so that I can go longer distances and not to worry about stopping for fuel as much. Also, we all know fuel prices go up around tourist destinations. Has anyone got the tank installed? Has it been an issue with weight?

I have had 3 auxiliary fuel tanks over the last 15 yrs. All 3 were from and installed by TRANSFER FUEL in chico calif. All my tanks were replacements for the original fuel tanks. I needed my truck bed empty. I currently have a 60 gal. auxiliary fuel tank in my 2004 3500 Diesel truck. To my knowledge, I don't think anyone makes an auxillary tank for regular gas. The cost for my 60 gal. tank was about $1200 installed with a full tank of diesel.
Contrary some opinions, installing the 60 gal. tank was not the purpose of running marathons or creating sore butts!!
1. I still stop at every rest stop rest to get out and stretch and empty the bladder tank.
2. I don't have to try and remember where every Diesel station is located or what their hours are. I don't pull into a fuel station to find it has gone out of business and I have sufficient fuel to go to the next station/truck stop etc.
3. Diesel fuel prices will vary in different parts of the county. i.e. diesel fuel is significantly lower in Ariz. than calif. But that is true of anything in Calif.:) The extra fuel tank enables me the opportunity to find the fuel stations with lower prices. This is a real advantage when you are driving in parts of the county for the first time.
Enjoy your auxiliary fuel tank:):):)

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
If I were you, I would want to make sure the cost savings would offset the expense and weight. If so, then go for it.

There is a car dealer here in town that is a huge collector of antique cars. He used to travel to car shows all over the country (and maybe still does). At one of his dealerships several years ago, I noticed a custom 3500 Chevy diesel dually crew cab with 3 doors on each side, and saddle tanks slung down both sides.

I asked the salesman about it. It was the owner's truck for attending car shows around the country. He said it would go coast to coast without stopping for fuel. He didn't care about the expense, but that is an extreme example. I would have to see a real benefit to do it.

iawoody2
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't want add alot of weight so I have a 30gal in bed gravity flow. It gives another 300 mile range. Just the piece of mind not having to look for fuel as often. It cost me $475 with install kit and took me about an hour.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
RCMAN46 wrote:
The only tank I have a problem with is my bladder. Have not found a way to increase the capacity of mine.

When I drain the bladder I just fill my fuel tank.

I doubt you will save enough on fuel cost with an in bed tank to offset the cost of adding one.

Oh I don't know. You can always stop anywhere and drain your bladder in the TT. Fuel prices can vary greatly from place to place. If you travel enough, and if you have the payload capacity, if might pay its self off after awhile.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
The only tank I have a problem with is my bladder. Have not found a way to increase the capacity of mine.

When I drain the bladder I just fill my fuel tank.

I doubt you will save enough on fuel cost with an in bed tank to offset the cost of adding one.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it can be an issue with weight. You need to see how much the extra fuel and the weight of the tank will impact your payload. If you're already at the limit of your payload (GVWR or RAWR), you probably need to rethink it. If not, it's a great way to extend your range.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)