cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F-150 tows new Cruise Lite 262bh very well, but for sure?

pk1023
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

My F150 5.4l, 3.55 ratio, sensatrac rears towed my new 262BH by Salem just great this weekend.

I never exceeded 3 RPM during pull away and maybe just once on a hill with O/D off.

I did notice that on pull away when there was a grade that I could feel a tug or a bit of pounding from what feels like the drive train. Is that normal? I often notice the same thing from slow speed turns from a stop.

My f150 is a 2006, but with a new transmission and fully repacked rear end.

Is everything cool?
7 REPLIES 7

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like the 'infamous' rear end clunk... It's generally the slip yoke in the trans and occurs when the rear end twists up slightly under load (Think of a mild case of axle wrap).

On the newer F150's with long wheelbase, it's a 2 piece drive shaft and it's occurring in the mid section of the drive line.

Don't have it with my 13 F150, but it did occur with my old 97 F150. It fixed itself after I got the aftermarket overload springs for it, as that helped the axle wrap issue it had as well as it's sagging when loading anything in the bed..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

astraelraen
Explorer
Explorer
My 2013 F150 has a lot of "binding" and/or clunking at take-off when hooked up to my trailer.

I think it's just an issue with how the suspension/driveline/etc is setup on the vehicle.
2013 F150 Crewcab Ecoboost Max Tow
3.73 gears 157" wheelbase

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
pk1023 wrote:

Yeah, I kinda wandered that myself! Nah, here's the story...

I didn't buy it new. I bought it with 83k miles on it last year. I had finally convinced myself I needed a truck to pull my small camper at that time and I had 'financing' from my parents to do it. Well, in the end I did. I looked and looked and looked around at dealerships, hoping my mom would cave and give me the cash. Finally after a squable over going back for an MBA, I got the cash.

I had found a nice 2007 Sierra with 74k on it and asking 14500. But, it needed brakes right away and the guy didn't want to take it in for inspection and didn't have title in hand. But, in retrospect it was probably a gem. I drove all the way out past my college town to see it on a rainy Friday night. It was one of the neatest nights ever.

That night I saw this F150 priced at 13800 title in hand. I saw it on Sunday and loved the way it drove. But, my wife was axnious not be late picking up our boys from her folks and getting back for flag football. I never even looked under the truck. I had looked at so many that I got lazy and assumed they were all perfect.

I bought it on Tuesday and drove it the 80 miles home. Left it over night and came home Wed and straight to the BMV. It was only after coming home with it registered to me that I noticed the puddle in the driveway.

Took it to the dealer, they had to flush every fluid on the thing, little had ever been done. Then the tranny, they took it apart and replaced all the front seals, it leaked. They did everything, finally they called me to come see it. Someone had welded in the bell housing where it had cracked previously. Long story short, new tranny needed. I paid for it myself, too embarrased to tell my folks.

Next the rear brakes siezed from rust, replaced for 450 bucks. Then the fronts did the same. I replaced the ENTIRE caliper down myself in 0 degree weather. Saved 800 dollars.

The guy who sold it to me? A local cop in Lafayette, IN. I badgered him nonstop and he paid half of the tranny.

I am sure I am going to be judged. I am just that kinda idiot I guess. **** doesn't go my way because I rush and I just make lemonade out of lemons.

I love my truck for what it's worth.

Lesson learned. On the Ford forums, there's lots of talk about some binding that happens when you put a load on the vehicle. This is also common up to the current F-150 (MY 2014). Sometimes shimming the rear axle will help with the pinion angle and remove some of the binding (or getting airbags to adjust the squat). Sometimes not and people just live with it. Ford hasn't been able to solve all the "Clunking" issues that some newer truck owners experience.

However, I also suggest that if you don't have friction modifier for your limited slip rear end, that you make sure you get that done. Otherwise, you can pre-maturely wear out your clutch pack.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

pk1023
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
Have you owned this 2006 f150 since it was new? Wondering why it needed a new transmission? Normally transmissions last a long time unless over burdened or lack of care.

Yeah, I kinda wandered that myself! Nah, here's the story...

I didn't buy it new. I bought it with 83k miles on it last year. I had finally convinced myself I needed a truck to pull my small camper at that time and I had 'financing' from my parents to do it. Well, in the end I did. I looked and looked and looked around at dealerships, hoping my mom would cave and give me the cash. Finally after a squable over going back for an MBA, I got the cash.

I had found a nice 2007 Sierra with 74k on it and asking 14500. But, it needed brakes right away and the guy didn't want to take it in for inspection and didn't have title in hand. But, in retrospect it was probably a gem. I drove all the way out past my college town to see it on a rainy Friday night. It was one of the neatest nights ever.

That night I saw this F150 priced at 13800 title in hand. I saw it on Sunday and loved the way it drove. But, my wife was axnious not be late picking up our boys from her folks and getting back for flag football. I never even looked under the truck. I had looked at so many that I got lazy and assumed they were all perfect.

I bought it on Tuesday and drove it the 80 miles home. Left it over night and came home Wed and straight to the BMV. It was only after coming home with it registered to me that I noticed the puddle in the driveway.

Took it to the dealer, they had to flush every fluid on the thing, little had ever been done. Then the tranny, they took it apart and replaced all the front seals, it leaked. They did everything, finally they called me to come see it. Someone had welded in the bell housing where it had cracked previously. Long story short, new tranny needed. I paid for it myself, too embarrased to tell my folks.

Next the rear brakes siezed from rust, replaced for 450 bucks. Then the fronts did the same. I replaced the ENTIRE caliper down myself in 0 degree weather. Saved 800 dollars.

The guy who sold it to me? A local cop in Lafayette, IN. I badgered him nonstop and he paid half of the tranny.

I am sure I am going to be judged. I am just that kinda idiot I guess. **** doesn't go my way because I rush and I just make lemonade out of lemons.

I love my truck for what it's worth.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Have you owned this 2006 f150 since it was new? Wondering why it needed a new transmission? Normally transmissions last a long time unless over burdened or lack of care.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
So with a heavier load (going up an incline while pulling), you feel a faint thumping that increases frequency as speed increases and then it disappears? Is the thumping worse with heavier throttle?

I'm betting on a worn u-joint on the drive shaft.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably need to add some rear end friction modifier if you have a limited slip rear end.

My 97 did that and I thought I was going to have to rebuild the rear end till someone on here have me the same tip.

Added a tube of friction modifier and everything settled down and the clunking stopped.

I used some from Oreileys auto parts and it worked just fine. After I added it I read where it was highly recommended to use ford specific friction modifier.

You may hear this stuff called 'rear end dope' as well.

I would change the rear axle fluid and add friction modifier to it.

Good luck, Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~