cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F150 recall, 2 Million 15-18 trucks, seat belt fire risk

Just read this in the morning news.

Looks like they found a fire risk issue with seatbelt pretensioners.

F150 seatbelt fire risk recall

Kudos to Ford for taking care of the potential problem.

If you have a 2015 to 2018 F150, might want to check to see if this applies to you.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
23 REPLIES 23

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:
why is this even a thing to discuss? you bring it in for its next service and this gets done at the same time - they found an issue or parts problem and are taking care of it.

Sometimes it just seems you guys want to get people all worked up over here.

Maybe because everytime RAM has a recall Fish makes a big deal out of it. Chris

Maybe because we have to deal with clowns like yourself

You still haven't answered the question as to what you thought about the F150 recall. You sidestepped it like a politician would. The recall has nothing to do with the truck you own.

I don't know how the system works so I'm not qualified to comment.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:
why is this even a thing to discuss? you bring it in for its next service and this gets done at the same time - they found an issue or parts problem and are taking care of it.

You still haven't answered the question as to what you thought about the F150 recall. You sidestepped it like a politician would. The recall has nothing to do with the truck you own.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:

Does not take long for the name calling to begin. 😞
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Thanks for the explanation. Now I have to ask why? To reel up a loose seat belt? Seems every seat belt maintains pretty good tension at rest and locks quickly already.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:

EXACTLY! That is why I asked what "FISH" what he thought about this one.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
I want to know how a seat belt tensioner can cause a fire!

The seat belts and even sometimes the buckles have a small charge in them that deploy in a accident,they work like the airbags.

They are to remove the slack in the seat belt during a accident.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
alexleblanc wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
mich800 wrote:

They operate like airbags. They fire a charge when a g force threshold is exceeded to lock the seatbelt.

This is a different mechanism than when you jerk on the shoulder belt and it locks.

When first introduced in the 70's wasn't the pre-collision belt tensioning mechanism purely mechanical, no pyro device? Pendulum device in the retractor or something like that?

Yes and that is still the case. Think of pretentioners as a safety device that activates in a more serious collision. I.E. if the airbags deployed so did the pretensioners most likely.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:

They operate like airbags. They fire a charge when a g force threshold is exceeded to lock the seatbelt.

This is a different mechanism than when you jerk on the shoulder belt and it locks.

When first introduced in the 70's wasn't the pre-collision belt tensioning mechanism purely mechanical, no pyro device? Pendulum device in the retractor or something like that?

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
I want to know how a seat belt tensioner can cause a fire!

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer

TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like another poster said I would rather a company have a recall then pretend the problem doesn't exist. Regardless if it's Ford GM or FC.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:

You must have missed this one and you might want to look into it Troy.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID: 11V582000
RECALL DATE: 2011-12-13

SUMMARY
FORD IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 F-150 VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 9, 2011, THROUGH SEPTEMBER 22, 2011, AND MODEL YEAR 2012 F-250, F-350, F-450 AND F-550 HEAVY DUTY VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 12, 2011, THROUGH SEPTEMBER 22, 2011. THESE VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NUMBER 114, THEFT PROTECTION. THE TRANSMISSION CAN BE SHIFTED OUT OF THE PARK POSITION WITHOUT PRESSING THE BRAKE PEDAL DUE TO BRAKE SHIFT INTERLOCK SWITCH PROBLEM.

CONSEQUENCES
THIS WILL ALLOW THE OPERATOR TO INADVERTENTLY SHIFT THE VEHICLE INTO GEAR WITHOUT THE BRAKE PEDAL BEING DEPRESSED, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH OR INJURY TO A NEARBY PEDESTRIAN.

REMEDY
FORD WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE BRAKE SHIFT INTERLOCK SWITCH FUNCTION AND REPLACE THE SWITCH IF NECESSARY, FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON DECEMBER 22, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT THE FORD MOTOR COMPANY CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP CENTER AT 1-866-436-7332.

COMPONENT AFFECTED
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

NOTES
Ford Motor Company

But as far as recalls go, I would rather have my vehicle recalled and fixed than have the manufacture hid the problem until it kills so many people that the Government has to get involved.

Don

My truck wasn't built in the window of Sept 12-Sept 22 so no it doesn't apply to my truck so my response still stands correct.