Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

f150 specs-what do I need

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Been lurking here for a few years. Have never been able to make peace with a 3/4 ton TV since it's needed as a daily driver.

Looking at some f150's for hubby to use daily, but can tow. Will make some concessions on size and weight for TT. Maybe something around 5000lbs? Just looking for a towable bathroom and bed, living space isn't important as we like to spend time outside anyway.

What am I looking for in specs? I've included some specs below for a TV we are looking at. Dealer says about 2360 payload. There are 6 of us but we will be taking 2 vehicles to camp, since the kids are all older and almost out of the house.

Is this lacking anything we need? What all am I looking for for towing? How can I figure out WHAT this could tow?

Thanks for any input you have! Cyndi

7000# GVWR Package
3.55 Electronic Lock RR axle
Pro Trailer Backup Assist
Max Towing Pkg
Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
Mirror Man/Tele Fold with Pwr glass
275/65R 18 Owl All Terrain
3.5 v6 Ecoboost
Rear View Camera
2016 4x4 Supercrew
145" Wheelbase
Elec 6-speed Auto w/tow mod

I think I included everything important???
47 REPLIES 47

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this will help the OP decide/find the right F150.

Really boils down to the RGAWR that will determine the Fake Half Ton, or lesser 3/4 ton, designed for folks who insist on staying in the half ton range...even though a 3/4 ton would be the choice based on their stated requirements

Listed a couple of links showing 'regular' F150 RGAWR as a reference to compare or show that half tons has a large range differential between them.

Note that the 'regular' F150 has a 3.8K RGAWR and the 'HD', 'Fake half ton' has a 4.8K RGAWR. About 1,000- l,000 lbs more RGAWR and is what most are advising to look for...that number should be on the drivers door label

Then consider that a 3/4 ton and higher class has a 6,000 RGAWR and higher. Regular half ton's low range of 3,800 lb RGAWR is about 2,200 lbs less than a 3/4 or 1 ton and about 1,000 lbs less than the HD/Fake Half ton...everything else follows the RGAWR...as that is where most of the towing weight goes onto...the rear axle

2007 F-150

2005 F-150

2001 Ford F-150 Specifications

2014 F150 Pickups
Tells where else on the Ford sites to look for this info

2016 F-150 PickuP
This page tells where else to look for GAWR's on Ford pickups

2018 Ford F-150
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fourkidletts wrote:
Thank you Groover! Gosh my head is spinning. I'm finding 3.31 axle ratios with 2000 payload, or 3.5 axle with 1725 payload. In my research I don't think I want a 3.31 for towing? Am I correct? Would it be best to keep searching for a 3.5 or 3.73 with 2000+ payload? I'm guessing those are hard to find? I'd like to get as much towing and payload capacity as possible to have some wiggle room! But not in the budget to buy new. And all the 3/4 tons around me are super expensive so I'm not sure what people are talking about in getting the same or more towing for less money!

Stick with the factory ratings but look them up yourself for the truck that you want. Just search for the model year, model and "specs". I just did that by searching for "2013 F150 specs" and found this page: https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/13flrv&tt_f150.pdf

Most of the 3/4 ton trucks have diesels and that is about an $8,000 option which drives the price up. If you can find one with a gas engine it should not be that much more. To be honest, I find most late model used trucks to be overpriced and feel that I can get a better deal if I negotiate well on a new one.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
2112 wrote:
Does Ford offer the E-Locker with the Max Tow package now?
That wasn't available in 2011. Max Tow was only available with a 3.73

I don't know about the 2011 but I have the E-locker in just an ordinary 2013 probably with the 3.31 axle and a 2016 with a 3.55 axle and max tow package.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Does Ford offer the E-Locker with the Max Tow package now?
That wasn't available in 2011. Max Tow was only available with a 3.73
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Take a look at the Ram 2500 with the 6.4 gasser. It runs on 4 cylinders on the highway, and can get 18, some claim 20 mpg.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
Thatโ€™s because payload rating and tow weight ratings are two different things and Ford looks at it as such.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Fourkidletts wrote:
Thank you Groover! Gosh my head is spinning. I'm finding 3.31 axle ratios with 2000 payload, or 3.5 axle with 1725 payload. In my research I don't think I want a 3.31 for towing? Am I correct? Would it be best to keep searching for a 3.5 or 3.73 with 2000+ payload? I'm guessing those are hard to find? I'd like to get as much towing and payload capacity as possible to have some wiggle room! But not in the budget to buy new. And all the 3/4 tons around me are super expensive so I'm not sure what people are talking about in getting the same or more towing for less money!

Having shopped a lot of F150s, I never saw one with with a 3.31 rear end and 2000lbs payload capacity.

I'm finding them! 2017's. A place I'm currently looking has 3 in stock. I took pictures of yellow payload sticker myself, plus have the window stickers. All 3 have payload of 2025 with 3.31 axle.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Fourkidletts wrote:

Having shopped a lot of F150s, I never saw one with with a 3.31 rear end and 2000lbs payload capacity.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let's get back to what the OP wants:
"Looking at some f150's for hubby to use daily, but can tow. Will make some concessions on size and weight for TT. Maybe something around 5000lbs? Just looking for a towable bathroom and bed, living space isn't important as we like to spend time outside anyway.

What am I looking for in specs? I've included some specs below for a TV we are looking at. Dealer says about 2360 payload. There are 6 of us but we will be taking 2 vehicles to camp, since the kids are all older and almost out of the house."

Note that the OP does not plan to fill all of the seats in the truck and can even split up the cargo some since she is planning to take two vehicles anyway. The specified trailer target weight is 5,000lbs. Since a F150 with max tow package and 3.5 Ecoboost is rated to pull 11,000lbs there is a lot of room for growth. The truck will be used daily without the trailer. The Ecoboost has more usable power than the 6.2 found in the F250 and gives about 3 more mpg. My 3.5 Ecoboost does have LT tires under it instead of car tires but I would not hesitate to pull a 5,000lb trailer with it. In fact, I am pulling about twice that much with mine. Heck, I used to pull 5,000lbs with a Chrysler Newport with 6 people and gear for an extended vacation. We put about 60,000 miles on the car pulling the trailer with a 180,000 miles total which was exceptional life in those days. In all honesty though, expect your trailer to gain about 1,500lbs when loaded for travel.

Next question: "Gvwr 7000. Still a bit confused what the gvwr means for towing. 10-15% of the TT weight goes towards the payload in tongue weight, is that correct? Is that loaded or unloaded?" GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) includes everything that came in the truck and what you add. It is what the scale will show when you drive across one while on the trip. So hitch weight, people, beer, mud, even the gasoline and wiper fluid. The other important weight is Gross Combined Weight Rating or GCWR. That includes everything that moves when the truck moves. The 10-15% on the tongue is as you are pulling it, so it changes as you load the trailer. A trailer that size probably has two axles and I try to visualize keeping my added weight balanced on the front axle or a little forward and that works well for me. Too little weight and the trailer will sway excessively so if you get too much sway stop and move some weight forward. It can get out of had and make you loose control while going in a straight line, I have seen it happen. You probably need a load distributing hitch and a sway control device with a 150. The flat sides on most campers seem to generate turbulence that leads to sway. I don't mess with sway control on other types of trailers but campers seem to be much more likely to need it.

Good luck!

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
donn0128 wrote:
F150 Ecoboosts are really popular right now. BUT, once you start looking at prices, you can probably buy a really nicely equipped F250 for the same dollars. For less dollars you can likely buy a nicely equipped 2500 GM,Chevolet, or Ram. The trade off is usually a more robust towing platform with much better resale value.

You need to up your weight cop sales pitch..... Just cause she said she doesn't want a 3/4 ton, I'm sure she really does subconsciously??

To the OP, the 6 speed Ecoboost you posted will tow a 5-7klb trailer all day in the mountains, and do it well. Payload is not a real issue as long as you're realistic about what you are hauling in the bed. I.e. Load of firewood vs some bikes and a cooler.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
GVWR is the max the truck can weigh when loaded up. If your truck weighs 5,500 lbs with everything and everyone in it and has a 7,000 lb GVWR then you have 1,500 lbs for the trailers pin or tongue weight. If your TW is 900 lbs then you have 600 lbs left before you reach the 7,000 GVWR.

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
Well, that was a bust. Went in myself and sticker says payload of 1720. Why don't dealers EVER know about payload numbers?

He has a couple 2017's on his lot with 2000 payload. Gvwr 7000. Still a bit confused what the gvwr means for towing. 10-15% of the TT weight goes towards the payload in tongue weight, is that correct? Is that loaded or unloaded? What else am I missing?

Thanks for the help!

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Sure hope the OP gets it right...either buying used or ordering new...

With over a dozen different F150's (the one everyone suggesting is what I call 'The Fake Half Ton', but everyone is not clear on the order/model/trim/etc)

Am guessing chances (odds) of getting the right one a 1 in 14...which has a higher chance of getting the wrong one...

Or...get the next higher class truck...that will have more ratings (AKA margin) than The Fake Half Ton...IMHO...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...