cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F150 vs 250

Volkov
Explorer
Explorer
Considering replacing the old girl - 04 8.1 Yukon XL as her electrical gremlins and module failures are becoming increasingly frequent. Plan 1 had been max payload SCrew with max tow pkg but then saw 250 with 6.2 for about the same $$. Both Lariats.
THe one thing I have not seen discussed (with apologies if my search skills are lacking) is the flip of the significant curb weight difference. It is great that the light weight f150 bumps its tow capacity, but coming in a only 5k#, I stopped to wonder if it might be more prone to being pushed around by the 8000+# I would have behind it. THoughts? Anyone with real life experience with the two?
36 REPLIES 36

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Oddly, we didn't find much difference in resale values once you get to 8-10yrs old when we bought a 2003 a few years back and with diesel typically a bit higher per gallon, most of the savings goes out.

I see the exact opposite where I am. 10 year old high mileage diesel trucks are still commanding a much higher premium than lower mileage gas engine trucks. I was even researching the 6.0 Fords and trying to figure in costs of bulletproofing them, they were still higher than gas engine trucks.

Same here. Every time I get my yearly tax bill on my 2005 Cummins I about pass out. Last three years the taxable value has went up.:M
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
Oddly, we didn't find much difference in resale values once you get to 8-10yrs old when we bought a 2003 a few years back and with diesel typically a bit higher per gallon, most of the savings goes out.

I see the exact opposite where I am. 10 year old high mileage diesel trucks are still commanding a much higher premium than lower mileage gas engine trucks. I was even researching the 6.0 Fords and trying to figure in costs of bulletproofing them, they were still higher than gas engine trucks.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
IdaD wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
If you get a diesel in the super duty you can have your cake and eat it too as it relates to both towing ability and fuel economy. If you can live with a lower trim level it probably wouldn't cost any more or even as much as the gasser Lariat. Just food for thought.

Of course, it's going to take a very long time for you to gain back the upfront cost of the diesel upgrade in fuel cost savings.

Unless you are 2-3 times the average milage per year, we are talking decades.

If you do minimal towing and the 1/2ton is within weight ratings, it should be fine. The more towing you do, the more the 3/4ton makes sense. The point where you transition is a judgment call.

It isn't decades for most people, and you're also ignoring the substantially better resale value you get with diesel. The funny thing about upgrading to a diesel engine is it actually does make financial sense or at the minimum it's a breakeven proposition, plus you get a much better towing experience while you own the truck.

OP is looking at Lariat trucks. The extra expense with that is money down the drain that will never come back, but nobody is questioning it. Funny how that works.

Yeah, the lariat gorp is largely a waste but two wrongs don't make a right. The reason to get a diesel is because you do a lot of heavy towing. Fuel economy takes a massive number of miles to pay off the engine upgrade.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
If you get a diesel in the super duty you can have your cake and eat it too as it relates to both towing ability and fuel economy. If you can live with a lower trim level it probably wouldn't cost any more or even as much as the gasser Lariat. Just food for thought.

Of course, it's going to take a very long time for you to gain back the upfront cost of the diesel upgrade in fuel cost savings.

If you do minimal towing and the 1/2ton is within weight ratings, it should be fine. The more towing you do, the more the 3/4ton makes sense. The point where you transition is a judgment call.

It isn't decades for most people, and you're also ignoring the substantially better resale value you get with diesel. The funny thing about upgrading to a diesel engine is it actually does make financial sense or at the minimum it's a breakeven proposition, plus you get a much better towing experience while you own the truck.

OP is looking at Lariat trucks. The extra expense with that is money down the drain that will never come back, but nobody is questioning it. Funny how that works.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
IdaD wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Plan on going down any long, steep hills anytime? If your trailer has drum brakes they can easily fade and put more weight on the truck.

A trailer's brakes are it's weakest link IMHO. In addition to drum brake fade, we've had greased brakes and broken wires, all weakening their ability to stop the trailer.

One big reason I upgraded to a 3/4 ton diesel was the exhaust brake.
However an F250 with the big V8 should be better at engine braking than an F150 with the Ecoboost.

Otherwise, my 2011 F150 Ecoboost was a fine tow truck after upgrading the tires and suspension to HD Payload status. A quieter and smoother ride than the new 3/4 ton. It was over-loaded though ... but a HD Payload version would not have been, except maybe for the hitch receiver.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a F250 gas crew cab, outgoing model year (see my sig). It was cheaper than most current production F150 crew cabs with aluminum body by about $3k.

Yes, it's less efficient on gas, by about 3-4 mpg, but $3k can buy a lot of gas.

I'm sure some will want to argue, but in the exact same trim (XLT) and options, the F250 was cheaper by $3k, at 6 different dealers. Plus, it has way more payload (3k lbs), and more towing capacity (12k vs 11.3k lbs).

For me, it was a no-brainer.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Go F250 for payload and stability and you will never regret it. The 6.2L is now a proven tow engine on an excellent tow platform.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:

Very good point and dont just limit yourself to Ford, because Ram and GM both make awsome tow vehickles as well
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what you are towing, but if you have a heavy camper now or plan to, go with the 250. I know that there are some 150 trucks out there with HD capabilities that Ford sells. I don't know what packages they are listed under. That may work for you if you stay in that class of weight rating. It really all depends on what your towing, if you already mentioned it, then I missed it. Either way you go the F series is a great truck.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Volkov wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
150= p metric tires, semi floating axles, weaker frame, weaker wheels, smaller brakes. 250= LT tires, full floating axles, stronger frame, bigger brakes, stronger wheels. You choose

Partly true. max payload gets LT E tires, and heavy duty rims. Yes, still the same 1/2 ton frame (edit: wrong, actually thicker frame members than standard)
used to get axle upgrade per some, but can't confirm for the 15+ models. (edit, yes 9.75 ring gear) Stiffer springs .
No debate that 3/4 will be more capable: 1 ton would be more capable still but not necessary. Ford says the 150 is rated higher that what I currently tow with,and I would be at about 75% of capacity which I am comfortable with. My question began with and still is whether less weight up front is an issue. Remeber too that much of the heavier components on the 250 are necessary just to accomodate the extra ton of weight it is carrying dry.
As an aside, it would be interesting to compare the brakes on my current XL, 250 and the max payload.
Very good reality check! Apparent that some people know the facts. 😉

Depending on what a person is towing, there is no doubt a F250 is better, just like a F350 may be better than a F250, and so on.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
This is the common issue using marketing info for discussion...,like trying to
explain sex to a virgin...as this OP references the 'fake half ton'...not knowing
the difference...that it is a small/lesser 3/4 ton with special components
so that they can call it a 'half ton'...

Best to use the 'real' reference and are their ratings numbers

The marketing 3/4 ton will have a GVWR in the 8.6K range with a RGAWR in the 6K range

The marketing half ton will have a GVWR in the 7K range with a RGAWR in the 4K range

But...this is not well taken by those who insist on using marketing badging...so
dropping this one...again...most come here asking about half ton just wants to
hear that it will do the job...and...they will get tons of 'sure you can', etc...

The OEM's love this, as they get to sell another one soon in most cases...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I can't speak on an F150, but I recently went from an 03 2500 Burb to a '11 Yukon Denali XL. The 2500 Burb was a much more pleasant towing experience.

As little as you are towing, you might be ok with an F150. But I wouldn't expect it to tow as stable as the old Burb did.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Volkov
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
150= p metric tires, semi floating axles, weaker frame, weaker wheels, smaller brakes. 250= LT tires, full floating axles, stronger frame, bigger brakes, stronger wheels. You choose

Partly true. max payload gets LT E tires, and heavy duty rims. Yes, still the same 1/2 ton frame (edit: wrong, actually thicker frame members than standard)
used to get axle upgrade per some, but can't confirm for the 15+ models. (edit, yes 9.75 ring gear) Stiffer springs .
No debate that 3/4 will be more capable: 1 ton would be more capable still but not necessary. Ford says the 150 is rated higher that what I currently tow with,and I would be at about 75% of capacity which I am comfortable with. My question began with and still is whether less weight up front is an issue. Remeber too that much of the heavier components on the 250 are necessary just to accomodate the extra ton of weight it is carrying dry.
As an aside, it would be interesting to compare the brakes on my current XL, 250 and the max payload.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB