cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Faded Front Cap - Another Story

pchartrand
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like many my brown front cap started to fade badly and I was to far past my warranty for Keystone to help me. Ended up taking it to a body shop and they were able to buff out all the fading and then applied 3 coats of UV blocking clear coat. The original decals are still there, and the clear coat was applied right over the decals after they were cleaned and buffed as well. Very happy with how it looks and I'm hoping it last. Cost was just under $400

Before

After
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Duramax)
18 REPLIES 18

Buddy8
Explorer
Explorer
pchartrand wrote:
Like many my brown front cap started to fade badly and I was to far past my warranty for Keystone to help me. Ended up taking it to a body shop and they were able to buff out all the fading and then applied 3 coats of UV blocking clear coat. The original decals are still there, and the clear coat was applied right over the decals after they were cleaned and buffed as well. Very happy with how it looks and I'm hoping it last. Cost was just under $400

Hi there, how is this holding up? Is it weird that they went over the decals any issues around the edges or anything? Did they strip the sealant where cap meets sides and the roof and then reapply that sealant?

I'm trying to find a body shop, curious if you have any tips, I'm in the RI area.

Before
***Link Removed***

After
***Link Removed***

westend
Explorer
Explorer
the problem with doing it more than once is each time some of the gel coat gets removed by cut sanding
That's true, material is removed but not enough that you would worry about it. The process involves rubbing compounds and the top, oxidized layer is very thin.

The advance of UV resistant clear coats is a boon for vehicles and RV's. The finish holds the body paint color for many years. I know there have been some gel coat advances as well. Keystone's issues with the front caps is unknown to me. Has anyone gotten an explanation from Keystone about the cause of the sudden cap fading?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

4Kellys
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard that the problem with doing it more than once is each time some of the gel coat gets removed by cut sanding. My last RV before the Wind River, a 2004 Itasca Horizon, was 6 or 7 years before the top of the front cap started to fade. Go figure!

4Kellys
Explorer
Explorer
We have a similar problem on our 2016 Wind River. We have had it only 4 months. It has a build date of 4/15 so it has been exposed to the elements for 15 months. The front cap along with the propane tanks cover is fading though not as bad as the one pictured. The factory(Outdoors RV) sent the dealer a fix which they tried on the propane cover but the Service Manager said it didn't work. We have talked to the factory and they are willing to replace the front cap if we bring it to them which we will do on our way to Yellowstone in September. They say they will reimburse our expenses which works for us.

redticket
Explorer
Explorer
pchartrand wrote:
Jebster wrote:
Did you go to a regular auto body shop? I have been getting quotes from RV dealers who do body work of well over $3000 to redo the whole front cap and the fade on mine isn't anywhere near what you had. I did get Keystone to pony up $1500 toward the cost, and yes, mine is out of warranty.

The work was done at Quincy Collision in Quincy Michigan. Prior to shopping around I was looking at $2300 to $2500 to have it sanded, painted and clear coat. Then an additional $340 to $380 to purchase a new decal Kit from local dealers. So I see how you can get the $3000 you talk about.

pchartrand .... I private messaged you... Thanks!

pchartrand
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jebster wrote:
Did you go to a regular auto body shop? I have been getting quotes from RV dealers who do body work of well over $3000 to redo the whole front cap and the fade on mine isn't anywhere near what you had. I did get Keystone to pony up $1500 toward the cost, and yes, mine is out of warranty.

The work was done at Quincy Collision in Quincy Michigan. Prior to shopping around I was looking at $2300 to $2500 to have it sanded, painted and clear coat. Then an additional $340 to $380 to purchase a new decal Kit from local dealers. So I see how you can get the $3000 you talk about.

Jebster
Explorer
Explorer

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
$400.00 to buff it out and apply 3 coats of clear coat, what a bargain, here in Vegas we pay that just have our RV washed and waxed..

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow - they did a nice job. Too bad it faded out in the first place - I see you live in Michigan. Just another example of pi$$ poor materials and workmanship of the manufacturer.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

pchartrand
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cecilt wrote:
Did the shop give you any type of warranty against fading in the future or warn you that the fading may come back and you took the gamble?

Yes they gave me a warranty of sorts. If the front cap starts to fade again in the next 3 years, they will apply the money I have already spent to the cost of sanding, painting and Clear Coating. My original quote was for $800 to paint and apply new decals, (I already have the decals). So I'm not really loosing anything.

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Did the shop give you any type of warranty against fading in the future or warn you that the fading may come back and you took the gamble?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Had mine repainted last October. All the buffing in the world wouldn't help it. Hope your's lasts.

Follow-up in about a year would be great!

pchartrand
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
Looks nice. I didn't think anything like that would work. Be nice to have a follow up at the end of this season. Very interested.

Yes I agree that follow-up at the end of the season would be good. I'll make it a point to do so. If I start to see any Fading start again, I'll also be sure to update everyone.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Looks nice. I didn't think anything like that would work. Be nice to have a follow up at the end of this season. Very interested.