Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Family of 4, looking for smaller trailer

testing123
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I have some young kids (5 and 2) I grew up tent camping and have gone several times with the 5yo. (had plans this spring for the family but all that is canceled). I also planned to get a truck for my next vehicle (in ~5 years) with an RV so the wife will come (also AC opens up summer for camping), I know it probably wont be her thing but between the kinds and I it will be fun. Now: the wife thinks we can get a good deal on a used truck here soon (due to economy) and I am sure it will get a lot of use between our families.

It got me thinking I could (currently unprepared on research) accelerate the purchase of a travel trailer. I have browsed here and there but the main thoughts are:

-We will spend most of the time outside like tent campers, would like trailer to shower/sleep. Don't need couch/TV/etc.
-Not sure I want to hassle with pop up/canvas.
-Probably keep for 5-7 years
-Thinking bunk beds for the kids and big bed for us (6'3" height): I don't want to be making a bed out of a couch every night.
-Minimal amenities (hot water, AC) would prefer something shorter/light weight/easy to tow
-Almost always staying at a site with water/power

Concerns
-Enough hot water for showers?
-Frequent empty waste water tanks?
-Insulation isn't too important as we are in the south and main use is for sleeping at night. I do expect the wife will spend some afternoons inside while we are out.

Budget: I would prefer to spend less than $10k, probably closer to $6-7k for a used trailer.

Length: was thinking 18-20 ft long as the target

Don't have experience towing but would want something about 5000 lbs or less. Looking at full size trucks (V8) so I think the weight shouldn't be an issue.

I am looking for any feedback and thoughts on my plan. Suggestions on what to look for. Any specific models you would recommend for these conditions. Hard finding a bunk bed model.

I am the type of person who will make do with what I got so if the TT is decent on average, I wont get too caught up on little preferences. I also figure buying a cheaper used one will limit downside.

The Gulfstream 198BH looks good (and new for $10k?) but the queen bed is going to have my feet hanging off the edge a bit.. thoughts?
19 REPLIES 19

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Go look at some new trailers think about what meets your requirements then look for used, your in the range to find a few year old trailer with what you want 2 axle trailers can handle weight a. It better and single axle run out of capacity pretty fast. Most will all have what you want, look at fridge size and such, if you want a slide or not.
Winnebago Access 24V

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
Follow the rule. Buy or select the trailer first, then match an appropriate tow vehicle to the trailer. Rather than trailer weight, think TV payload first...tongue weight, people, hitch and stuff in the TV.

โ€œAlmost always staying at a site with water/power.โ€ Thatโ€™s too bad. Youโ€™ll miss camping in so many beautiful dry campgrounds.

"Dry campgrounds" for some "kids/folks" may not be all that "beautiful" and might be considered an "acquired taste".

Think of it is "baby steps", sometimes one must start out testing the waters with places that offer "attractions" like swimming pools, lazy rivers, miniature golf and many other modern amenities.

Many "dry" campgrounds are pretty rustic, little to no Internet, no electric, no water, no sewage and offer very little to keep the modern day kids busy unless you are totally into a 20 mile hike through desert wilderness or rugged mountains getting back to camp totally worn out and beaten to a pulp.

Give the folks who like to have a few modern amenities a break..

As far as selecting the trailer first, then the tow vehicle, well that in of it's self often results in the supersize mentality and without some limits can easily result in size creep.. Start with 18'-20' and end up with a massive 30'+ billboard then a monster truck to drag it around.

I will say, 20' is going to be cozy with a family and you might find you will either have to switch between bed mode and day mode but it can be done.

Best thing to do is go to some dealers and kick the tires of some of the target size of 18'-20', sit in them with kids and image yourself camping in it.

If it is your first trailer, go as short as possible, resist the supersize temptation to move up to the 30'+ sizes..

I would also suggest, perhaps look at some used trailers if possible, this can save you some money upfront and if the smaller size does not work out as well as imagined you will take less of a financial loss when you decide you want something bigger.

We started with a used 20', used it for 4 yrs, bought a used 26'and have used it for 12 yrs now, love that size and is easier to fit into places that a 30'+ trailer will never fit.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try a toyhauler if you are concerned about waste and water tank sizes.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gulfstream 198BH...only a single axle, only one window on right side, only 900 pounds of cargo capacity of which 300 will be taken by water plus propane and batteries. Not the TT Iโ€™d pick.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Follow the rule. Buy or select the trailer first, then match an appropriate tow vehicle to the trailer. Rather than trailer weight, think TV payload first...tongue weight, people, hitch and stuff in the TV.

โ€œAlmost always staying at a site with water/power.โ€ Thatโ€™s too bad. Youโ€™ll miss camping in so many beautiful dry campgrounds.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad