cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fantastic fan with no thermostat?

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Installed Fantastic fan I bought years ago and now I notice that even it is upper class model with electric lid and rain sensor - it does not have thermostat.
So when I try to open it on colder day, I have to switch to manual crank.
Than when I leave it open with crank to auto, at some point at end of the day it will close.
So does it have set thermostat that I can't adjust?
What would be the setting?
20 REPLIES 20

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
double.
the forum script errors do get annoying.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The WI-FI operation is just a thought in the moment.
I have like 7 systems WI-FI operated in my house, so adding another 1 is not an issue, but do I really need it in the camper?
Than when I like automatic operation of thermostat, the fan is mounted in bathroom and will be also used for venting whole camper.
Meaning it will not only be operated for temperatures, but also for smell venting.
Teaching DW how to override thermostat is not in my plans for this season, so flip switch is going to be just fine.
Still not knowing model number for the fan? WHO CARES at this point ๐Ÿ˜‰
Thanks again for all your help Anev

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
The Honeywell low voltage thermostats linked are only $12.49. Myself I don't find 'apps' convenient verse pushing a button. But if you have majority of parts on hand outlined WiFi control sounds like fun project.

FYI: 9988-xx number is the last digits of thermo part number, not the fan unit.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
VICTORY.
So knowing how it suppose to work, I pulled the remote wires (that make for bigger task after I had the fan already installed in hard to reach place) and the lid/fan operates just fine with remote switch.
In my "garage pile of junk" I even found old thermostat, but it is furnace thermostat, when fan needs cooling thermostat.
No way I am spending $50 for factory thermostat, but wall switch is all I care about.
With switch on -the lid opens and fan starts.
With switch off -the lid closes.
Thinking about updating it to 21 Century, small relay and WI-FI plug, who cost about $10 will let me operate it via my android from any place in the World. (those plugs also have schedules and timers)
I already have WI-FI thermometer.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Just that bored:) but really curious how your fan was supposed to function as it sounds as though dome only open when fan on which makes no sense. I could see the power dome function only to close when raining, but not being unable to use passively.
Plus is the linked upgrade dome can be power raised/lower with fan off pushing switch, also no need for external thermostat.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey, thanks for your time doing the search.
My fan looks like the one in linked thread what makes it model 9988-81, Reading the thread - it is used with wall thermostat.
So now I have to dig the extra wires marked "remote" and use them for remote opening.
Or for $130 I can buy upgrade face with build-in thermostat
Link
Thanks a lot.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Don't know if helpful-
related RV.net thread/
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread
mentioned thermostat
RV HONEYWELL THERMOSTAT T812D 1033 9988-80 FAN-TASTIC VENT (white)
RV HONEYWELL THERMOSTAT T812D 1058 9988-09 FAN-TASTIC VENT (black)

semi related addressing remote thermo
airforums.com/forums/f455/upgrade-kit

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did some additional tries on my fan and there is nice Fantastic label on top of the shroud, with all the addresses and phone numbers (no longer valid) but there is no model number on it.
So close look and there is no temperature probe, meaning my guess that it might have single-set thermostat did not confirm.
Than each time I cycle OFF/ON, the lid goes to automatic closing.
Meaning the only way I can open the lid is manual, than I can operate it till I cycle off/on or rain sensor will force closing.
Kind of stupid design and seems the only purpose of lid motor is closing in the rain.
Bad news is I can't forget about leaving lid gear in manual crank as after cycling it off'on the lid motor will run forever.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Awesome- didn't think would be the case. When I originally installed ours I had disconnected motor lead wire to add a bypass switch on lid plunger switch. Reconnected and turning back on thought I broke it- lost speed control.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Exactly as you suspected. Moved the connection over to the 3 speed lug and I have all 3 speeds. Thank you!
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
mike/kellie, Fantastic vent? manual 3 speed? There is a lug on the 3spd switch that is full switched 12v in any of the ON positions...

Shouldn't have needed to mess with to wire, but IF you did, possibly plugged in motor lead to wrong terminal? Or may have been mis-wired from factory. Worth a look.

Motor lead should be to middle output lug.
Unfamiliar with the 14spd/variable fan but thats on higher end fan.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced mine last fall with a "like" or similar model which was all manual operations in the bath area. After I dropped it in place, caulked it, wired the 2 connections, and cut the inside trim, I hit the variable speed switch and all I get is full speed. Not sure if I have a bad pot or something miss-wired.
Like you, it's in place and I'm wondering...
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Found this, 2000TRS

Unfortunately not clearest picture.
Appears, if your board looks like this, thermostat external-possibly an option. looks like simple mechanical thermostat.
Not sure on operation or wiring, my guess if thermostat not used its leads from board (I would assume, again a guess) jumpered or connected together in lieu of using tstat. Don't see how tstat unconnected that would trigger lid to close, especially at some later time.
Lid closing suggests to me rain sensor? Maybe unplug see if lid stays open?

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fantastic doesn't exist anymore. The business is taken by Dometic and their manuals are posted.
What I experienced with them - the Customer Service is no longer fantastic.
I will try to take some pictures and mail them, so thanks for the suggestion.
Who would thing such simple issue could get so complicated.