cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fencing

Hunterred
Explorer
Explorer
Does anybody have or use some type of temporary fence around the campsite to contain young kids 1-2 years old and smaller dogs? We don't have a seasonal lot we typically camp for 3-7 days at a time so it needs to be temporary and easily set up and storable in the back of the truck. I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Thanks
23 REPLIES 23

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the portable fencing I have see was fairly low (knee high) push in the ground type used to keep the little yapper dogs in.

It is probably just as easy to get one of those child harnesses people use in the stores. Kind of crude but effective.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

DwayneN
Explorer
Explorer
I made a 40ft fence out of 3/4-inch PVC pipe and plastic snow fence. It works well with our three Shih Tzu dogs. We would never leave them alone in there but it is so much better than tangled leashes when we want to sit outside. Each panel is about 40 inches wide by 30 inches tall (I don't recall the exact dimensions but I wanted to get the most out of each 10-ft PVC length I could. The snow fence is simply 'laced' to the frame with nylon twine. There are a total of twelve frames with four wire tied together so they can be folded up together. The final product is light and doesn't rust but is a little bulky. If need be we use fiberglass rods to hold it in place but they are rarely needed.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would buy a screen room - we have one - set it up and drag the picnic table into it. In your case, you could put the little ones and the dogs inside.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
They have the portable pens for dogs, but I would recommend shock collars for the kids. :B

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, :B :B :B :B
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Hunterred
Explorer
Explorer
thanks to those of you who provided constructive posts, it would seem the pet exercise pen is the way to go.

charley542
Explorer
Explorer
I watch my kids, and play with them.

mikeflys
Explorer
Explorer
We have one of these.
pet fence
Picked it up at one of camping worlds sales. We use it nearly every day in our back yard to corral our bunny. Maybe its a regional thing but I can only think of 1 RV park I have stayed at that had a policy against these fences. And it was just to keep dogs from barking.

lantanatx
Explorer
Explorer
I had two sets of these when my twins were little. Bulkier than the wire pens for pets but safer for little kids baby panels

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
We use 2 portable pet fences,they work just fine plus they unfold and hook together when folded they take up very little room sits. When unfolded they sit on top of the ground, We haven't tried it with kids but the three Chihuahuas sure love it, plus any poop is easy to pick up. We bought one at a yard sale and the other at CW.
Most parks we have been to are happy to accept the dogs and dogs are welcome in Fla.State parks..
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
They have the portable pens for dogs, but I would recommend shock collars for the kids. :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
dewey02 wrote:
TucsonJim wrote:
There are lots of busybodies and "keep off my grass" type folks here who like to chastise others without knowing the facts. I call them the Gladys Kravitz type.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also have several of the panels that TucsonJim linked to.Mine are 48" high and we have never been told not to put it up in any park we have stayed at but we rarely stay at RV parks anyway.

Keeps the dogs from running off in the hills or chasing chipmunks.:B
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
AGREE with TucsonJim!

We have three of the exercise pen fencing for our 4 mini dachshunds when camping.

No one has ever mentioned that it detracted from curb appeal etc.

It only takes a few minutes to set them up under the awning. We sit with the dogs when they are outside...never leaving em. Rather enjoyable talking with neighbors and other pet lovers.

We practiced this with our kids too. Most people understand.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
TucsonJim wrote:
There are lots of busybodies and "keep off my grass" type folks here who like to chastise others without knowing the facts. I call them the Gladys Kravitz type.