cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fiberglass or aluminum?

davehultin
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's time. We're ready to upgrade to our next travel trailer.

We've had only fiberglass exteriors up to this point, and now are considering a trailer with aluminum siding. Maybe I'm getting hung up on the difference in the appearance, but why would someone choose fiberglass over aluminum or vice versa?

Dave Hultin
----------
2019 Ford Expedition Max, 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS
27 REPLIES 27

Vvvv1010
Explorer
Explorer
I automatically assumed fiberglass trailers were more expensive from a retail standpoint, so we mostly looked at aluminum sided trailers. We found the floor plan that worked for us in a Jayco Jay Flight.

As far as wash, wax, and dry, it is probably more work to get between the lines when you wash and wax. I also feel the aluminum can be very easy to dent and ding.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2011 Ford F250 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Two 10'0 Kayaks

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Fiberglass done correctly is very nice. The problem is, the manufactures have gotten it wrong so often. There is no excuess.........
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

tshirtman
Explorer
Explorer
Like de-lam???

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
We went back to stick and tin after our first fiberglass sided 5th wheel started to delaminate.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
We chose aluminum....:)
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, personal choice.
I will say I would not go to aluminum just because of a floor plan, I would look for that plan in a glass sided unit.
We managed to find it all.
I feel that the glass sided units are tighter, easier to heat and cool, most have solid foam core wall meaning better insulation.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
davehultin wrote:
It's time. We're ready to upgrade to our next travel trailer.

We've had only fiberglass exteriors up to this point, and now are considering a trailer with aluminum siding. Maybe I'm getting hung up on the difference in the appearance, but why would someone choose fiberglass over aluminum or vice versa?
I prefer the aluminum, but for now I am stuck with the fiberglass. I think it's a lot easier to maintain an aluminum than fiberglass (Oxidation on fiberglass )on the other hand to clean a smooth surface it's a lot easier on ( fiberglass ) Good luck with your search.;)
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
and aluminum will dry rot from a leak.

I've never seen aluminum "dry rot". How can metal "rot"?

Galvanic corrosion.

If you have dissimilar metals, like steel bolts or screws, going through aluminum framing, and you add water from a leak, you get a voltage going across the metals.

Rain is usually acidic these days..
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor has a small toy hauler with an aluminum skin. Some type of reaction of the aluminum and the staples underneath resulted in a bunch of pin holes in the siding. He now has daubs of silicone all over his trailer. Not a happy camper.

The issue above may be due to bad construction practice as this is just a small part of his problems.

davehultin
Explorer III
Explorer III
We went to one of our local dealers today to look through the lot. They had lots of units marked down for hail damage. The aluminum trailers looked pretty tough, the fiberglass ones looked great! 'Nuf said, we'll continue the hunt with fiberglass in the lead position.

Dave Hultin
----------
2019 Ford Expedition Max, 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
While you have read the plusses and minuses of both constructions, most folks buy on floor plan, cost and tow vehicle capacity. The outside wrapping is secondary.

Aluminum is older and evolved out of the old stick and tin construction. It is well established and lends itself to a range of price point constructions.

Fibreglass lends itself to the more sculpted designs currently in vogue, hence it is often considered more modern though it has been around quite a while. Fibreglass also offers a large flat surface for some rather detailed artwork.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personal choice for many reasons including those already mentioned and some that were not.
IMO, people buy a floorplan that works and a weight their truck can handle and a length they can park .
I suggest researching the differences of both and researching the differences of wood vs alum framework.

You can have anyone with basic skills and basic tools repair aluminum skin. It gets more involved with Filon and usually takes more time, therefore you need to have a barn or large garage and that can lead you to an RV repair facility ($$$$$).

In the past, there have issues with alum framed units with screws that become loose over time in alum tubes that do not have wood inserts for the screws to bite into. It seems that units that are built so screws have some bite, seem to hold up better. Some mfg.'s corrected it.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
and aluminum will dry rot from a leak.

I've never seen aluminum "dry rot". How can metal "rot"?
The wood framing to which the aluminum siding is secured will dry rot from a water leak and the aluminum itself can oxidize under the right conditions.

But I think you already knew that and were just trying to be a smart whatever.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The metal sided trailers are easier to fix, should a leak occur. The fiberglass sided trailers are more convenient to maintain, if you're a polisher. Aluminum siding and fiberglass siding (Filon) are now both being built with aluminum frames. Some mfgs still use a wood frame throughout. A wood frame has less conductive heat/cooling loss than a metal frame (but not by much).
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton