cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

*FINAL UPDATE* Stuck in Newton NJ with a blown transmission

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of you old timers on the forum may recall that I lost reverse on the 4L80E transmission almost 3 years ago, Sept of 2013, backing the TT into a campsite. Being stuck in rural KY and with no transmission rebuilder anyone would recommend, I went with a Jasper reman unit with 36 month 100k warranty.

Fast forward to today, coming back from PA and climbing the grades in NJ on eastbound I-80 coming out of the Delaware water gap. I kicked it down into 3rd and about halfway up one grade the tach jumped up from 3k to 4500 and we started losing speed. Coasted over to the shoulder and that was where we stayed. No loud noise, no loss of fluid at all, just no forward motion.

After 40 mins on hold with Good Sam, they said they would call me back. I decided on a whim to shift into L1 and lo and behold we had movement. L2 and still moving. So I eased back into the right lane with the flashers on and was able to hold 40 mph in 2nd gear until the next exit. At the exit we see a sign for a CG and decide to go for it. Made it about 1 mi from the CG and one hill on the country road we were on wiped out what was left of the tranny.

Good Sam finally called and they came with a flatbed for the Suburban and a pickup to tow the trailer and took both to Great Divide CG in Newton, NJ.

I know a few folks said Jasper was junk when I put this unit in 3 yrs ago, and now it's toast with less than 30k miles on it. I did the required fluid/filter change at 5k miles, have been running Dex IV synthetic, and the trans never ever got hotter than 200*. Hopefully Jasper will stand behind their warranty since there are 4 months left and put a new unit in.

I need to get on this ASAP tomorrow morning, if anyone knows a good shop that's a Jasper dealer, lemme know. Fortunately DD and her fiance live over in Parsippany and they were able to come and get us. Now to get the truck fixed.
49 REPLIES 49

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Nope not fishing, I thought Ford still offered a manual in their 450 and up. Was sure GM had a manual option in the HD line.

As for Rams auto I don't see people posting that their 6 speed auto has left them on the side of the road. But it does make for great chatter though.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
You can still order a manual in the HD trucks can't you?
Ram was the last one. Not sure if they are still offering it.

I know the Ram HD trucks can still be ordered with a manual was wondering if the Ford and GM twins could?

Don

Castin that bait pretty hard there?
lol

No doubt trying to catch a "fish". But as already said, now that they outsourced for a solid automatic the manual is probably on life support.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:

I know the Ram HD trucks can still be ordered with a manual was wondering if the Ford and GM twins could?

Don
The hard truth here is that the demand for a manual fell off shortly after GM made the Allison available. Ford later for the same reason.. Once the autos get reliable, the public doesn't want them. The Rams auto trans has drastically lagged behind the other two. So they NEEDED to keep the manual around. Now that they seem to have fixed that issue, it is likely that the manual will soon disappear.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Huntindog wrote:

Don

Castin that bait pretty hard there?
lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Nope. Just the Ram.
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:

Don

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
My 4L80 went south April 2015. Rebuilt with gm torque converter, and shift kit. Factory TQ failed in less than 8 months. Rebuilt again.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with the previous advice on just using the trans as is and not fix it if it is not broke.

Your Jasper story reminded me of the neighbor. he just had to have a Jasper small block in his street rod. Two months inside the warranty and just over 4000 miles it started huffing antifreeze out the right exhaust pipe.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Blowing a sprag is a low occurrence failure. Even in drag racing. I would have updated to a sprag with more elements but that's water under the bridge now.

What blows then when we race is getting off the gas really quickly when you are under power in low gear. The sprag has to hold all of the torque the engine can put out and then some if you get on and off of the gas real quickly.

I seriously doubt you will have any more problems. That tranny is a tough unit and can hold a lot of power.

It's why we race with a manual tranny, they hold up to endurance use with fewer issues. Too bad they are all but completely obsolete these days.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
And when you experience ANY odd shifting behavior do not ignore it unless you have lots of warranty left.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Glad they took such good care of you. I had in the past installed their engines but never any of their transmissions. What do they recommend for servicing the trans? Given you tow a trailer on the heavy side I would think 12 months or 12,000 miles for a filter and fluid change maybe 3 years 36,000 for a band adjustment?

Don

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Blowing a sprag is a low occurrence failure. Even in drag racing. I would have updated to a sprag with more elements but that's water under the bridge now.

What blows then when we race is getting off the gas really quickly when you are under power in low gear. The sprag has to hold all of the torque the engine can put out and then some if you get on and off of the gas real quickly.

I seriously doubt you will have any more problems. That tranny is a tough unit and can hold a lot of power.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln