cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally, other truck campers on the road.

djc486
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I went on a great trip to Glacier National Park. Will never go this late in the summer again. Too many people. We started here in Texas and hit Oklahoma, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico. We always count the other Truck Campers we see. On a trip we made to Tennessee a couple of years ago we counted maybe 20 TC's. This trip we stopped counting at 120 Awesome! Still can't understand why there aren't more in Texas.
2010 Northstar Igloo
1997 Chevy 2500HD
24 REPLIES 24

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
I got a Class A DP and a small popup truck camper. When we want to go to a remote camping place the TC works great, but when not so remote its hard to beat a Class A. I think you see more TC out west because we have so much more remote camping on back roads where it is tough to get large 5vrs and class A's into. Also factor in that there is probably more camping done out west due to more national and state parks along with a lot of national forest and BLM lands that the east coast just does not have.

wileecoyote61
Explorer
Explorer
About a month ago we were headed back from Maine on 95/495 south and counted 10 truck campers headed north. I think we were more aware because we were driving one.
2012 Northstar Adventurer 8.5
2013 Silverado 2500HD EXT CAB, Torklift tie downs, XL Turnbuckels, Timbren SES

bedrocker
Explorer
Explorer
I was at Jalama beach last weekend and there
were 5 lance t/c and 2 lance trailers there. When I
was leaving 2 more Lance t/c's were coming in
surf wasn't bad either 🙂

ronday
Explorer
Explorer
A good share of the manufacturers are in the west. Also traveling thru the west you will discover most ranches have truck campers. I assume to use at horse shows and still be able to pull a horse trailer. ron
2008 Chevy 2500HD D/A, Crewcab SB, Pullrite superglide
2011 Big Country BC 3250TS 33ft 5ver
2005 Fleetwood 26ft 5ver
2005 Sun Lite Truck Camper
Ron - 29 yrs HS Tech Teacher (ret) 24 yrs USN/USNR Chief (ret)
Sheila - 29 yrs HS Home and Careers Teacher (ret)

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
For sure, there are a lot more in the Northwest. It doesn't hurt that many of the manufacturers are in the area either.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
I see more TC's in states that do not allow double towing. Being able to bring toys and a camper is the reason we have a TC. Our toy weight has exceeded Class C capacities while Super C and diesel pusher RV's exceed our budget.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
I can drive across the entire state of NY and not see one other TC. Same with PA. In fact, on some North East/New England trips we won't see one other TC on the road. Plenty of TT and other RV's though.

bhoat
Explorer
Explorer
Living Florida we don't see too many in the Southeast. When we do one of us shouts out - - It usually gets the dogs barking. An average trip to TN, or NC gets us about 7 both ways.

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
We saw the same thing this summer. We didn't count but there were noticeably more on the road. Plus we get lots of curious people wanting to know more about our camper and look inside. The men love the camper and the women not so much.

I don't think masses of RVers are going to make the switch from their 40 foot fivers to a 10 foot TC. The smart ones will but the rest? So, thankfully, when we go off the beaten path there will still be plenty of space, seclusion, and solitude.
Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
It was the same thing with me, I went to New Jersey via I80, on the way back I took I94 to I90, I probably saw only about 15 truck campers from California to New Jersey and Washington DC and up to Montana, after that, going across Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and back to California, I saw at least 150. I guess they are much more popular on the West Coast. Saw a lot of 5th wheels, trailers and Motorhomes though.

Bob
Good Sam Club Life Member