cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First camping trip of the year

kylekai
Explorer
Explorer
First camping trip of the year took us around the Southern California deserts for a nice 5 day trip (1/1/14 - 1/5/14). Weather during the day was warmer than usual. Lots of sun with highs in the 60s but cool at night (30s).

First stop was Red Rock Canyon State Park. Very nice park with lots of space between campsites. Only downside was the cost: $25 per night.

Next stop was the Trona Pinnacles. Quite an interesting place with the large tufa spires all over. The camping is dispersed (and free), and we were the only people there. Very quiet except for the occasional train.

Friday we traveled to Amboy Crater. Great hike up to and around the crater. Camping was in the overflow parking lot (and free), but it worked out well. Quiet except for the occasional coyote yelping and a few trains.

Last stop was Joshua Tree National Park. We were planning on driving thru because we were told the campgrounds were all full, but when we got to Cottonwood at the southern end, it was only 1/2 full so we stayed there ($15 per night). The elevation is 3,000 feet, so it was cool, but warmer than the other higher elevation campgrounds in the park.

All in all a great start of the new year, and weโ€™re already planning our next trip to Anza Borrego State Park during the MLK holiday. We really like camping in remote locations.
-Kylekai
17 REPLIES 17

kylekai
Explorer
Explorer
If you like hiking, I found a few more pictures that may be of interest.

Hiking around Trona Pinnacles:

Hiking around Amboy Crater:

Hiking around Joshua Tree:

We try to make hiking a part of all our trips. Keeps us healthy!

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
I have never heard of Trona Pinnacles either. Super pictures you took and a great trip report also. Thirty below wind chill this morning where I live and it's nice to see somebody wearing shorts instead of two or three layers of clothing to keep warm.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Neat places to visit! The backcountry camping at Trona looked eerie but fun.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
I have stopped by Red Rock and Trona before, as I have friends who live in California City. Next time I'm down there I will go visit both places again. Thanks for posting.

Bob in Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Nice trip! I love those areas. I left on the 29th and camped at San Simeon State Park for New Years and didn't get home until the night of the 2nd. Does that count for my first camping trip of the year even though I left in 2013?.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Ah, the joys of winter camping here in So Cal. It sure beats snow.

Desert ideas can often be found at DesertUSA.com. I also have an old book "Adventuring in the California Desert."
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

kylekai
Explorer
Explorer
mena661 wrote:
Never heard of Trona either. Can you get in there with a MH? Thanks.

I would think so, the BLM says it's OK for 2WD unless there was a recent heavy rain. It's all gravel and level except at the very end where there's a slight incline down to the camping area. Not steep but if you have a lot of overhang it might be a challenge. But it's easy to view before you take the small hill down. Well worth the trip.

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Nice way to start the new year. Great TR and photos of that area of the California Desert. Lots of neat looking area's to explore.
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
Kylekai - great pix of some neat places. Where did you learn about these out-of-the-way places?

Ted H.
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

the_tc_life
Explorer
Explorer
nothing better than to start the new year out with the camper. thanks for sharing.
2010 adventurer 810ws
1999 c3500 dually 12' flatbed

THE TC LIFE

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Nice first trip.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Great photos, thanks!

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing your trip and the pictures. You guys are wearing shorts and it's minus 40 degrees wind chill here this morning. I'm a little jealous. ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great way to start the new year. Looks like some interesting and desolate places. Thanks for taking the time to share.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)