cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat towing a Jeep Wrangler

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking about flat towing a 2018 Jeep Wrangler but I am concerned with the weight,4,000 lbs., being towed by my 2015 GMC 3500 HD gas powered dually carrying our 4,800 lb. AF 990.
We like to spend our time in the mountains, hiking and canoeing and want to know what to expect flat towing the Jeep. Is it going to be a struggle for my rig, should I look for a lighter vehicle to flat tow? I donโ€™t want to drop $35k and be unhappy with the decision. What say my fellow TCโ€™ers who flat tow? Thanks.
31 REPLIES 31

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
realter wrote:
Why do you recommend the 4 door? Thanks

Longer wheelbase offers a better ride (more comfort) plus more space.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

HarmsWay
Explorer
Explorer
Even using the 24โ€ extension on the Curt 45048 it was much too long. I took the Curt out and replaced with an 11โ€ 2-1/2โ€ extension. Iโ€™ll still have about 10โ€ clearance at the corners in a tight turn.

No stabilizing chains because there is no provision for them anymore and I shouldnโ€™t need them anyway. I use De-rattlers at all the junctions to limit vertical play.

Ram 2-1/2โ€ hitch (2014 Ram 3500 CC DRW)
to 2-1/2โ€ 11โ€ extension
to 2โ€ riser (also has about 10โ€ extension)
to ReadyBrute Elite tow bar
to Blue Ox tabs on Rockhard bumper

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Some may take issue with it, but I wouldn't have a problem flat towing a Jeep with a 24" 2-1/2" hitch extension.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Once the camper is loaded up pushing a "wall" down the highway, moderate towing becomes less of an impact.
Only evidence is that I get similar mileage wit just the camper or with camper and 6000lb boat in tow.
Yes, the 6.o gasser will be screamin up the hills, but it'll take it like a champ. I currently have a fleet of 2008 6.0 Chevy work trucks that get driven like rentals, most of their oil changes done and frequently are floored in 2nd gear with trailers behind them climbing mtn passes. To my knowledge ALL of them are original engines still at 100-200k miles.

Same thing yours will be doing with the camper on it and/or towing the Jeep as well.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Torklift super hitch and extension......64 International Scout, 95 Jeep Wrangler, 06 Honda CRV, 11 Ford Ranger on a 2,250 car trailer. The Scout and the Honda weren't really even noticeable back there till I hit a hill.

I wouldnt want to tow without the stabilizer chains

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

HarmsWay
Explorer
Explorer
Alright, rather than starting a new thread...

What do all you flat towing truck campers use for hitch extensions? If I was starting from scratch Iโ€™d probably do a Torklift super truss, but I already have a factory 2-1/2โ€ hitch and my Torklift tie downs and I donโ€™t want to buy another set. So I bought a simple, cheap Curt 24/36โ€ extension. I will be doing near jackknife testing shortly to see what length Iโ€™ll need. Looked like 24โ€ would be fine. Iโ€™m hoping for shorter. Also, even though itโ€™s a 4x4 truck I need a 2โ€ hitch riser on the end of the extension to get within 2โ€ of level with the tow bar connection on the Jeep.

So factory Ram 2-1/2โ€ hitch (2014 Ram 3500 CC DRW)
to Curt 24โ€ extension
to 2โ€ riser
to ReadyBrute Elite tow bar
to Blue Ox tabs on Rockhard bumper

Iโ€™m well within the specs for this extension but do I need side chains and turnbuckles back to the truck to keep it from wagging the Jeep? Not that there is any place to anchor them under the truck. I think I have everything else covered (lights, emergency brake, etc). Thanks.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Cables? I didn't have no stinking cables. I was maybe 36 yrs old and didn't know and didn't care.
I drug that old Jeep all over Texas and up to Wyoming.
Oh, I still have that tow bar in the barn. Still look at old Jeeps too!
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
TXGearhead wrote:
"Dang I'm getting bad gas mileage!!".

But at least I can follow my tracks out of here!!!
How things have changed from the simple A frame tow bar. I just installed the base plate for my tow bars on our Jeep and along with the parts were 2 cables that thread through 2 holes in the base plate and wrap around 2 points of the Jeep frame "just in case all 6 bolts fail".
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I flat towed my old 1972? CJ5 with a JC Whitney $35 tow bar. I some how rigged the lights through my Chevy truck 4 way plug. Also towed it a lot with a 4x8 utility trailer behind the Jeep, with a ATV in the trailer.
Just remember if you set the Jeep parking brake when you hook up, to release it before you drive 400 miles to go hunting. "Dang I'm getting bad gas mileage!!".
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Odometer does not register mileage when you flat tow. Tire wear is probably about the same, maybe less, hard to measure. I towed my 97' TJ Jeep about 30,000 miles and tow my 17' JKU currently with no ill effects at all. The auxiliary brake is great when you're in traffic for that unseen quick stop but our exhaust brake works wonderfully for going down mountain passes when towing.
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
A couple questions I had for those who tow late model wranglers. Do miles accumulate on the odometer when towing? No.
if they do not what are the ethics when selling? Just let the buyer know about how many towed miles it has? I track the towed miles and IF (thatโ€™s a big IF) I were to sell our JK, Iโ€™d inform the buyer of those towed miles.

What is tire wear like. I assume less than driving?
Tire wear doesnโ€™t appear to be any different, might gain a few miles in wear due to the rears not pushing the Jeep down the road, hard to put a value on from where I sit.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
A couple questions I had for those who tow late model wranglers. Do miles accumulate on the odometer when towing? if they do not what are the ethics when selling? Just let the buyer know about how many towed miles it has?

What is tire wear like. I assume less than driving?
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
jaycocreek wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it and just do it..The Chevy 6.0,if that is what you have,is a good engine..If it slows you a bit,so be it..Go enjoy.

Ditto.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
Don't want to hijack the thread, but I see OP question was answered.

We are considering a wrangler as a towed behind our camper. I have read some pretty conflicting things on the web. I assume flat towing a Jeep with the Jeeps transfer case in Neutral is ok? Some say to remove drivelines. That's shouldn't be needed?

Looking at other forums Blue OX makes both a hitch and mechanical brake for the Jeep. Is this a good set-up?

The trucks hitch extension is another area I am curious about.

Weโ€™ve been flat towing our JK for about 4 years with no issues. Using the Blue Ox Alpha towbar and a RVi aux brake system. If any questions PM or drop by, weโ€™re about an hour south of you.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase