cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floor Plans and children

rebelliousraven
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I have a few questions... We are a couple with 6 kids from 27 down to 3 years old. Not everyone will be camping with us at the same time (or rarely)- will usually be us, 2 young kids and 2 older kids.

We have been looking at 3 basic floor plans A)those with one fold out and quad bunks B) those with 2 folds outs and one bunk bed C) those with 3 fold outs.

1) Is there a floor plan above that people feel is better in our situation?

2) How comfortable do people feel with young children in a fold out bunk as above compared to an enclosed in a bunk room

3) Can someone give me a list of brands/models that have the above floor plans...esp with the quad bunk room and the one with two fold outs and 1 bunk bed (this only one I found was a used Kodiak Skamper)

4)If you have people using the table/couch etc .. is that a pain?

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
i don't think any manufacturer makes a hybrid bunkhouse anymore.
they all used to have one hybrid quad bunkhouse model. but you'd have to go back before 2008 to find any of them.
back then i was familiar with those models but i've forgotten them since it's a type of RV i'd never buy.
the two bunk ends with a bunk bed were even rarer. only a handful of companies made that type of hybrid.

the 3 bunk end models have replaced them and nearly all hybrid manufacturers have at least one model.

most sofas will only fit someone under 5'5" and maybe two small children.
the dinette may fit two adults but it'd be tight.

No sofa in our BH htt. 2 Tents, rear perpendicular bunk beds. Similar is the star stream 22bh . e. o de
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

3LittleDucks
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, given your TV I'd buy a big a$$ trailer with beds for all lol.

We bought a hybrid with bunks this spring (single over double), and have been extremely pleased with it (people here are prob getting sick of me talking about it!). I like having the kids in the 'hard' end of the trailer, and us on the flip out. Though we've slept comfortably on the dinette as well.

Our model is the Trail Cruiser C21RBH.

The Quad Bunk Trail Cruiser (single flip out in front) is the C26BH, we considered it but felt it's weight would be too much for our TV, and wanted something a little shorter.

Here is an ad for one with some pics...

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=489570038

Good luck shopping. I don't think either model has been made for 5 years or so, although with Trail Cruiser starting up again that might change?

We camped next to a ROO 233S this weekend, very nice trailer (had been in one at an rv show). We wanted a model more convenient for turtling for 5, and were concerned about the weight.
2008 Nissan Armada TV
2007 Trail Cruiser 21RBH HTT

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a hybrid because it was the only way to get a decent amount of space for our family of 4 knowing we were TV constrained with our SUV for a couple more years. We like it very much, but there is a lot of setup involved with dropping the tents and making the beds every time and reversing when leaving. It would be great to pull into the site with the beds made and ready without the fuss. It would also be nice to not have to worry about putting the ends away wet.

Knowing your TV is not holding you back, I would look at a true travel trailer or 5er with a bedroom for you and bunkhouse for the kids. Heck you can probably even get one with two bathrooms which no hybrid offers. That would be handy when you have a full crew.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

rebelliousraven
Explorer
Explorer
LOL.. the older kids are already planning the tent. They told me they wouldn't get caught dead "camping" in a trailer... "trailers are for wimps Mom" was the general consensus. I on the other hand I would like to not have to sleep on the ground and it would be delish to go to the bathroom during the night without having to have my husband lead me blind (after taking out contacts.

What really appealed to me about the hybrids was the sense of still sleeping in a tent.. hearing the night sounds, feeling the breeze ..and still have some of the luxuries of a camper.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Well, for sure we don't have to have the "adequate tow vehicle" talk. Good luck, hope you find the perfect camper for your family.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Gaffer222
Explorer
Explorer
I would plan on getting sites where you can pitch a few tents for some of the kids.
2007 Ford Expedition Limited w/Tow package & 3.73 Rear end
Equal-i-zer & Prodigy
2015 Keystone Outback Terrain 250TRS
DW, DD Circa 2002, DD Circa 2005

rebelliousraven
Explorer
Explorer
Tow vehicle is a 1 ton diesel 6.0 ...rated to 23,000 lbs

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Well, you've brought us a challenge. So, as I see this, you'll have 2 adults, you can almost guarantee that the 14 year old will bring a friend and maybe the 6 year old. Add in the 3 year old and now you're up 7 most of the time. As noted, the bunkhouse models aren't easy to find. You didn't mention what your tow vehicle is, but that is crucial info to get a good suggestion. For now, I would suggest something like the ROO 233S or similar. You for sure need 3 beds. The 3 year old can take the sofa or dinette as needed. Don't suppose you'd have the luck of the 14 year old being a boy - they LOVE to have their own tent where they can do whatever it is that 14 year old boys and their friends do.....never mind, that's not what I meant. Girls, not so much....more into creature comforts. IMHO, the 6 year old is too young to be in a tent without an adult.

I think this is doable, but you're going to have to be prepared for some creative things for those times when the nasty weather rolls in. It's going to be snug. If the tow vehicle and budget allow, I would absolutely, positively suggest getting a 3 bed with a slide. The U-dinette would be perfect, but you're not going to be able to have it all. If I had to give up anything, it would be the larger dinette.

So, if you could post your tow vehicle and all the specs for it + are you thinking new or used, that would help. BTW, Welcome to the forum. And happy camping!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
i don't think any manufacturer makes a hybrid bunkhouse anymore.
they all used to have one hybrid quad bunkhouse model. but you'd have to go back before 2008 to find any of them.
back then i was familiar with those models but i've forgotten them since it's a type of RV i'd never buy.
the two bunk ends with a bunk bed were even rarer. only a handful of companies made that type of hybrid.

the 3 bunk end models have replaced them and nearly all hybrid manufacturers have at least one model.

most sofas will only fit someone under 5'5" and maybe two small children.
the dinette may fit two adults but it'd be tight.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

rebelliousraven
Explorer
Explorer
They are 27, 23, 20, 14, 6, 3 ... The 14, 6 and 3 year old generally have friends it tow

rebelliousraven
Explorer
Explorer
As stated above not all will be camping at the same time. They may be older (hence why I stated ages) but they are still our kids 🙂

As far as google searching.. I couldn't find any manufacturer that is currently making a hybrid that has fold-outs and regular bunk beds and it is difficult to find past floor plans for all the manufacturers.

thanks for your response

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
How old are your kids? Adults (age 27) don't count. Your searching with Google will be as good as ours for floor plans. 8 people in a camper will not be pleasant for anyone.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages