cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For you who don't like the GM truck's IFS system

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
The GM truck's IFS (Independent Front Suspension) and those who claim it's weak and won't last long and especially when using it for snow plowing with the heavy plow on the front of the truck. In bitter cold snowy Minnesota no less!

NOTE THIS!

Copied and pasted from the AP news.

Snow buries parts of Rockies, Upper Midwest
AP Wire
Nov 11, 2014

People in the Upper Midwest and Rockies woke up to frigid temperatures Tuesday, with heavy snow blanketing some areas.
More than 2 feet of snow blanketed parts of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and more was on the way before the front was expected to exit Wednesday. Northern Wisconsin also got as much as 18 inches of snow, and parts of central Minnesota more than 16.

The weather wasn't enough to persuade Joe Meath to flee Minnesota, even though he won nearly $12 million in a state lottery game two months ago. Meath was busy with his small snowplow business, taking care of his customers in his Chevy truck with nearly 300,000 miles on it.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT
44 REPLIES 44

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
I think mines required minimal replacement parts for front suspension@ 653,000. But I don't use a plow.
210k- right hub assembly
280k - shocks
328k - steering wheel sensor
653,000 miles - Right hand top ball joint

Maintenance log

memgrove
Explorer
Explorer
I ran a 1998 Chevy 1500 4x4 Z71 for over 10 years with a 8.5 foot western poly with wings. Only trouble I ever had with that truck was the big steel pin that holds the rear axles apart inside the differential slid out of its spot and got stuck. After a trailer ride home from the lot I was working at the time about 20 minutes and some permatex gasket stuff it was right back at making money.

Loved that truck and wish my family did not out grow the back seat. The newer crew cab is a beast to plow with but sure is nice to tow with.
Mike
2006 Chevy 2500 4X4 crew cab Gasser
2013 Dutchmen Denali 311 BHS (Love the trailer HATE the manufacture!)

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
All I have to say is, good old Joe may not be the brighest bulb on the tree. 12 million bucks and he's hangin around so he can plow snow with some clapped out Chevy truck...This sounds like a lot of bull to me...I'd be outta here before the ink dried on the check and you could have the Chevy..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Have 300,000 miles on my GMC truck !! original trans and engine. NO LIE !! Still runs smooth and peppy. So a GM truck with very high miles is what I see a lot of. Trusty old dogs !!

rsh_757
Explorer
Explorer
IFS isn't bad, it just isn't as good as having a solid axle setup in certain circumstances. I think it is great on the halfers and other 5-6 lug trucks.

I would certainly challenge the GM's nice, smooth and Buick-like ride with the 2012 Super-Duty Diesel. That thing rides like a Presidential Limo, so I don't really see the "advantages" of having IFS in a truck.
2008 Cougar 310SRX 5th Wheel
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 CTD
2008 Nissan Armada LE

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought this was settled by 1993 ish?

Interested in the Van 4x4 swap. Hopefully you will create a thread here or on the FTE board.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose, considering I'm a GM guy I should say something here.... But really, I'm lost for words today. The only thing that comes to mind that I may say is, "hooray for the truck.! Keep up the good work! And about that lottery win? Well ... I sure wouldn't be hanging around Minnessota in the middle of the winter if I won that. But, some folks love their toys, so maybe this is a great opportunity for him to play with that snow plow!

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Current Suburban is my first IFS on a 4x4

Love it on pavement, but hate it off roading

If I keep the Sub long enough, it will have a Dana 60 or 70 front end some day

The precision of IFS can NOT be denied, but live axle can be designed to have
similar precision. That is with a properly designed panhard rod and maybe a
couple other links

My debate within self is that I don't want to lift it for the live axle and that
the Suburban is a whale out there. Noodling another K5 (FJ40's are now too expensive)
or ATV's
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey, don't bash my 2015 Chevy 3500HD! I love it! 🙂 And the interior is impressive and anything but flimsy!
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I've not owned one, but from what I've read the GM IFS isn't necessarily weak and can be beefed up pretty easily. It does still suffer from the inherent flaws of IFS versus SFA in offroad situations. Of course it also offers some on-road advantages vs SFA.

I personally think IFS on a HD truck goes in the con column, but that's just my opinion.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
The GM truck's IFS (Independent Front Suspension) and those who claim it's weak and won't last long and especially when using it for snow plowing with the heavy plow on the front of the truck. In bitter cold snowy Minnesota no less!

NOTE THIS!

Copied and pasted from the AP news.

Snow buries parts of Rockies, Upper Midwest
AP Wire
Nov 11, 2014

People in the Upper Midwest and Rockies woke up to frigid temperatures Tuesday, with heavy snow blanketing some areas.
More than 2 feet of snow blanketed parts of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and more was on the way before the front was expected to exit Wednesday. Northern Wisconsin also got as much as 18 inches of snow, and parts of central Minnesota more than 16.

The weather wasn't enough to persuade Joe Meath to flee Minnesota, even though he won nearly $12 million in a state lottery game two months ago. Meath was busy with his small snowplow business, taking care of his customers in his Chevy truck with nearly 300,000 miles on it.

Anybody who doesn't believe GM's IFS is up to the task is foolish. How many years of GM HD's are out there? plenty. If I'm going to complain about something being flimsy on a GM it would be the interior, not the driveline or suspension.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Bored in Michigan already are we?

The only real issue with GM trucks is that the 4WD sits at the same height as a 2WD! Maybe OK for the old people, but not good for those of us that use a 4WD as it was intended!

Also the puny suspension travel doesn't help off-road either. I actually think the GM IFS is the best foul-weather setup available. But for actually traveling off road (i.e. not just gravel) solid axle is the way to go. Also, when you compare axle ratings, there is a big disparity there too which can matter in some situations.

I was contemplating a new Chevy 4x4 van, until I found the DuraMax vans only have 150 pounds of front axle capacity! Even the 4x4 setup (Quigley uses the GMT-700 components) tops out at 4600 pounds FAWR. That's why instead I decided to keep my current van, and instead it will be getting 7,000# front axle from an F550.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bored in Michigan already are we?

The only real issue with GM trucks is that the 4WD sits at the same height as a 2WD! Maybe OK for the old people, but not good for those of us that use a 4WD as it was intended!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Not much info on the truck there. 2 yr old? 20 yr old? 40 yr old?

catfishmontana
Explorer
Explorer
?
2016 F350 Platinum Dually, CC
2014 Cyclone 3800 toyhauler
B&W Companion 20K